User talk:Fryguy9

From TheKolWiki
Revision as of 03:47, 24 July 2009 by Coolguy00001 (Talk | contribs) (just in case you wanted to know)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Display Cases

Say, are you the same Fryguy9 as the one who manages the Jicken Wings DC project? If so, the Wiki's got various RSS feeds for collections that don't work because of they contain special characters. Examples: "Humorous" T-shirt, Lockenstock™ sandals, Ben-Gal™ Balm, can of Ghuol-B-Gone™, can of Ghuol-B-Gone™, filet of tangy gnat ("fotelif"). Is there a standard way you treat special characters in the RSS? --Bagatelle 16:26, 8 September 2007 (CDT)

  • Is there a reason why you are changing entries which already work (into ones which are broken, no less), or are you just updating all of them at once before updating the RSS feed filenames? And if this is the case, it'd be better to state these intentions ahead of time to avoid misunderstandings from people (such as myself) who might assume that you are changing things without verifying them first. --Quietust (t|c) 16:39, 11 September 2007 (CDT)
    • I'm working with Jinya on getting the collections with odd names fixed when accessing the DCDB, so please don't revert the changes just yet. The text I changed them to maps to the DCDB tables. Thanks. --Fryguy9 16:40, 11 September 2007 (CDT)
      • Ah, that's what I figured, but only after I looked at your talk page to see Bagatelle's comment above. --Quietust (t|c) 16:42, 11 September 2007 (CDT)
    • Ah, yeah, sorry about not mentioning to anyone. If you happened to look at the data carefully, the ones which were "working" were actually using very old cached information, and were wrong. This new text is what the collections template will need, but there needs to be a change to the template as well. --Fryguy9 16:45, 11 September 2007 (CDT)


Moving from Talk:Pimonkey_item. So how did you fix it? DB now knows about more items? DB uses the same variable in both spots? I notice searching for pimonkey items produces nothing, but also that the numbers are now consistent (at the larger size) for my own display case, when yesterday they were inconsistent. Looks like you now have the larger number of lines displaying in my case, so you've at least increased the number of items it knows about. --Club (#66669) (Talk) 16:48, 17 April 2008 (CDT)

  • Since I started working on the DCDB, one of my goals was to allow Jick & Co. to add new items without fear of them being spoilered via the dumps they provided to us. During the load of the data dumps from KoL into the DCDB, it automatically removes any items that have not been collected yet and that are also not already known, so people can't search by itemid for unknown items. Unfortunately, I wasn't doing it the other way around as well. So, this new item is in the data for Riff's DC, but the item itself is not yet part of the item table dump. So, when calculating the number of unique items in his case, it included the unknown itself, but the result of the full query when crossing with the item table removed that item, hence the discrepancy. The "fix" was to remove items from player's cases that are not in the data dumps. If that made any sense at all. --Fryguy9 21:31, 17 April 2008 (CDT)
    • It does make sense. (I may not know SQL very well, but I understand databases quite well. If that makes sense.) This tells me that when new item list dumps are slow to come (cough-crimbo-cough), the dcdb will totally ignore items in display cases that it doesn't recognize. So I can no longer use the number descrepancy to guage how out-of-date the item list is. --Club (#66669) (Talk) 14:10, 18 April 2008 (CDT)
      • That would be correct. Also, we get nightly dumps from KoL, but the dumps only contain items marked public by Xeno. --Fryguy9 18:03, 18 April 2008 (CDT)
  • There are quite a few items here that need your finding the plural. --CG1:t,c,e 17:55, 27 April 2008 (CDT)

Moving redirects

Don't move redirects. MediaWiki doesn't allow for multi-level redirects, which leaves it as (what the software calls) a double redirect. If there's a redirect, and you want it at a better capitalization, just create a new redirect instead.--Toffile 20:04, 23 July 2009 (UTC)

  • I ended up fixing the broken redirect after you moved it. Don't worry about it.--Toffile 20:22, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
    • Incidentally, you can go here to request a page deletion; only admins can delete pages. --CG1:t,c,e 03:47, 24 July 2009 (UTC)