Sledgehammer of the Vælkyr
Revision as of 21:06, 29 November 2015 by Fig bucket (remove critical=1)
In the Frigid Northlands, it is said that when a warrior dies, a beautiful armored opera singer flies down from Heaven to carry him to the feast-hall of the Gods, there to party and revel and quaff and brawl for the rest of eternity. These angels are the Vælkyr, and they carry sledgehammers to make sure that the fallen warriors are actually dead and not just faking it.
(In-game plural: Sledgehammers of the Vælkyr)
- Ultimate Legendary Epic Weapon of the Seal Clubber.
- This weapon is treated as a 2-handed club when equipped in your mainhand, causing it to automatically hit when using the skills Lunging Thrust-Smack and Bashing Slam Smash as a Seal Clubber.
- Valkyrie were battle maidens chosen by the gods in Norse Mythology to choose warriors for Valhalla.
- Describing one as an "opera singer" refers to the position of Brunhild, the Valkyrie is one of the major protagonists of Wagner's opera cycle The Ring of the Nibelung, including being the principal character of the cycle's second opera, The Valkyrie, and also singing the final aria of the fourth and last opera, Götterdämmerung. The final opera is over 5 hours long - indeed, the cycle lasts for over 15 hours on four nights - and may have inspired the expression "it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings": although this is at best a debatable attribution (first actually recorded in print in 1976 by a sports commentator, probably after witnessing a comeback from a seemingly lost position, but apparently a considerably older proverb than that), it's pretty true of, well, anything by Wagner.
- Carrying sledgehammers to make sure that the fallen warriors are actually dead may be a reference to an old joke about a hunter who shoots his friend by accident and is told by the emergency services to make sure his friend is dead.