Vegetable gremlin (quest)
|Locations||Out By that Rusted-Out Car|
|Monster Parts||head, arm, leg, torso|
|Quest||molybdenum screwdriver (when molybdenum magnet is used on the correct attack message)|
This isn't a gremlin in a permanent vegetative state -- that would be not particularly threatening, and in stunningly poor taste. No, it's a gremlin that some mad scientist was using to test genetic splicing for plants. So it's your basic slimy, green, fanged, clawed monstrosity, only with cabbages, tomatoes, and carrots growing off of it at odd angles. Science!
It feeds you tomatoes and radio wire. The tomatoes don't hurt, but the radio wire sticks in your throat. Oof! Argh!
It pummels you with a head of cabbage. It doesn't hurt, but then a stork swoops down and grabs the cabbage, biting your knee in the process. Ugh! Eek!
It stabs you in the calf with a carrot. At least your night vision will improve, so even in the dead of night you can see how badly you're bleeding. Ugh! Argh! Ugh!
Quest Identifying Message
It whips out a screwdriver and stabs you with it. Where did it get the vodka and orange juice? Oh, wait, it was just the regular, metal, stabby kind of screwdriver. Argh! Ouch! Ooh! Argh! Ooh! Ugh!
It throws six or seven tomatoes at you in rapid succession. You feel like a really bad comedian or an unpopular politician delivering a speech. (CRITICAL HIT!) Oof! Ugh! Oof! Ooh!
He tries to youshoulder>, but misses.in the <
Using molybdenum magnet on the correct message
You hold out the molybdenum magnet and the screwdriver is wrenched out of the gremlin's hand. It looks at you glumly, then slinks back off into the junkyard.
|You acquire an item: molybdenum screwdriver|
You win the fight!
|You gain 40-60 Meat|
|You acquire an item: gremlin juice (2.9% chance)*|
|You gain 42 <substat>.|
Occurs at The Junkyard.
- Never misses, unless forced to miss by something like The Crown of Ed the Undying.
- There are two different versions of this monster: one with the molybdenum tool (for Yossarian's quest) and one without.
- The hit message about tomatoes and radio wire refers to the climactic verse of the song "Two-Headed Boy Pt. 2" from the album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.
- The actual Gremlin in question comes from the movie Gremlins 2: The New Batch where Billy has moved to New York and works in a high-rise catering to various companies, one of them a gene-splicing lab.
- The hit message about being pummeled with a cabbage followed by a stork swooping down and grabbing the cabbage is a reference to Skully's elaborate description of 'where babies come from' from one of the radio shows. According to him, babies are made 'when a stork and a cabbage love each other very much...'
- The hit message involving the screwdriver references a cocktail consisting of vodka and orange juice.
- The hit message involving a carrot is a reference to the white lie that if a kid doesn't eat his carrots he won't be able to see in the dark. It may also be a reference to the fact that when planes started using radar, their use was hidden by claims of pilots eating carrots and getting super night-vision.