Under the Knife
In a dark recess at the back of the Sleazy Back Alley, you encounter a man sitting behind a makeshift desk with a sign over it that says "Ye Olde Gender-Reassignment Clinic."
"Hello there, Adventurer. Have any interest in switching genders? It's only 500 Meat, success is nearly guaranteed, and the chance of untoward side-effects is close to almost negligible.
So, what do you say?"
|Yes! I'm trapped in the wrong body! (500 Meat)|
- As a male, with at least 500 Meat:
You hand over the Meat (in more ways than one) and the "doctor" anaesthetizes you. When you wake up, you feel... different.
- As a female, with at least 500 Meat:
You hand over the Meat and the "doctor" anaesthetizes you. When you wake up, you feel... different.
- With less than 500 meat:
Sorry, but you can't afford a Gender Reassignment operation.
Come back when you've got a little more Meat.
You politely decline and duck out of the Back Alley.
Occurs at The Sleazy Back Alley.
- Declining the operation does not consume an adventure.
- This adventure can occur multiple times a day, however it will not reappear until the following day once you change gender (during a single ascension). If you ascend on a given day, it is possible to change gender twice in that day.
- Choosing the first option changes the sex of your character. It cannot be changed back by changing your profile sex. Instead you must adventure in the The Sleazy Back Alley until this adventure happens again or until you ascend.
- Receiving this adventure 30 times and choosing to change your gender each time will earn you the Gender Bender trophy.
- The booth depicted in this adventure seems to be a parody of Lucy Van Pelt's "The Doctor is [IN]" booth from the Peanuts comic strip.
- The 'you feel...different' message may well be a reference to several similar Nethack messages involving polymorph. This happens when polymorphing as a sexless creature, generally an indication of how little character sex matters in this game.