These rhinestone-studded trousers will make your enemies think twice before they try to go up your nose with a rubber hose, because they'll understand that you, my friend, are a race car in the red. Plus, the breathable polyester leisure blend will keep you cool and collected, no matter how hot your Saturday night gets. Also... Battlefield Earth.
(In-game plural: pairs of Travoltan trousers)
- Obsoleted Areas/Methods
- September 2006's item of the month from Mr. Store.
- Its in-store description: The Moxiousest pants ever! Various thiefly enchantments, and a 5% discount at NPC stores when worn.
- As stated in the Mr. Store description, the "5-Finger Discount" enchantment equates to a 5% discount at NPC stores.
- The 5% discount doesn't work in the Trophy Hut or The Raffle House. It also cannot be used at The Hippy Store (pre-quest), or The Bugbear Bakery as these stores require specific outfits to be worn, all of which include pants. Until the Cobb's Knob revamp, the The Cobb's Knob Laboratory required an outfit with pants but no longer does.
- The 5% discount applies to items from the Gift Shop but not to packages there.
- The discount applies to Doc Galaktik's items, but not to his Restoratives.
- The discount does not work in stores that do not use meat, such as The Bounty Hunter Hunter's Shack, Big Brother, or The Crimbo Cartel.
- First prize in The Raffle House on January 24, 2008.
- This item is one big reference to actor John Travolta and his work:
- "Up your nose with a rubber hose" was a common insult used by Vinnie Barbarino, John Travolta's character on the TV show Welcome Back, Kotter.
- "A race car in the red" is a partial quote from Travolta's character in Pulp Fiction, the full quote being "Right now, I'm a fucking race car, all right, and I'm in the red. And I'm saying, I'm just saying, that it's fucking dangerous to have a race car in the red."
- Travolta also starred in Saturday Night Fever, a movie involving lots of polyester outfits. The position of the pants in the item image (one leg straight with the other one slightly bent at the knee) is reminiscent of the quintessential disco pose that Travolta has on the Saturday Night Fever movie poster. However, it is worth noting that the image was not originally created for this item, but is simply the image for the Knob Goblin pants, horizontally flipped and with "shining" lines added around the edges. So this "pose" matter may be the result of a coincidence. Of course, it is certainly possible that, of the existing pants images, this one was utilized for the "disco pose" reason outlined above.
- Battlefield Earth, another movie in which Travolta starred, was universally panned, apparently even by the creators of KoL.
- The style of the entry, and the pause before the unintegrated movie reference, is similar to that used in Stephen Colbert's "Better Know a District: Hollywood" segment.
- '5-Finger Discount' is slang for obtaining items through shoplifting.
"1792" does not have an RSS file (yet?) for the collection database.
| Preceded by:
Comma Chameleon egg
| Travoltan trousers
| Succeeded by:|
plastic pumpkin bucket