There are a variety of tools that automate, simplify, reproduce, and/or add functionality to the Kingdom of Loathing.
Advanced User Interfaces
These tools are freestanding and run outside the normal browser security sandbox, which allows for more powerful features such as logging your ascensions and automated adventuring.
- Provides an improved web browser interface, a graphical window interface, and a textual command-line interface as alternatives for playing KoL.
- Has many many features, with various functionality for every part of KoL, and a large scripting community.
- Is a cross-platform desktop interface to KoL, written by holatuwol and others.
- Is written in Java and requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to run.
- Can be scripted using KoLmafia's own ASH scripting language.
- Forum thread is located here.
- No longer maintained
- Enhances the web browser interface for playing KoL. Built to provide better support for ascension and automation, without surprises or gotchas.
- Focused on helping players ascend better (suitable for newbies to #1 leaderboarders depending on settings), and automating entire quests or ascensions. Limited support for non-ascension-relevant content.
- Can be scripted using Lua, a popular programming language for video games. (Kolproxy's features are also implemented as Lua scripts.)
- Forum thread is located here.
- Available for Windows, Mac, Linux (and as source code).
- The latest version and more information is available at https://github.com/houeland/kolproxy/ and the kolproxy wiki.
Support for using both KoLmafia and kolproxy in the same session is limited, and requires recompiling KoLmafia yourself with a compatibility patch. Usually players using both instead log off/on again to switch between the two depending on what they're doing.
Scripts & Scriptlets
Scripts/Scriptlets directly affect and/or enhance the functionality of the standard KoL web browser interface.
- Ohayou has written a multitude of handy scriptlets. His Repeat Action Scriptlet has been revised in this forum thread. Also popular is his UI improvements script, which not only logs and displays his item effect logging scriptlet, but also combines a variety of his other scriptlets.
Greasemonkey User Scripts
In-depth instructions on using Greasemonkey are available at this forum post, courtesy of Aprocalypse.
The following scripts all require Greasemonkey.
- Tard created a multitude of various scripts, from an arena trainer to spoiler/helper scripts, that can automatically inform you of updates when using his Framework script. These scripts were updated and maintained by SomeStranger until 2008 at his user scripts page. Currently, several of them are updated and maintained by Hellion at his user scripts page.
- Numfar has authored a monster stat, wiki-linking, and bang potion script, which are available at his user scripts page.
- DaCyclops provides a number of small helpful scripts, including one that counts visible trophies and one that shows the moon sign effects after ascending, at his user scripts page.
For a more complete list, see the list of Greasemonkey scripts.
Stylus is a replacement for the old Stylish extension that is similar to Greasemonkey, but is more visual than functional in nature. KoL Stylish scripts include one that labels chat mods and one that colorizes a menu to highlight HP and MP Restorers. Chrome and Opera versions of the extension also exist.
There are some tools to assist with gameplay that are accessed by a standard web browser. Typically, you type or cut-and-paste information into them:
- Cisco's Door Code Generator can help you if are Deciphering the Door Code.
- RetroFrog's KoL Tools page contains tools for consumption, skills, familiars, and more.
- Jef's War Meat Optimizer lets you calculate the best combination of smashing, nickel-and-diming, and selling war items in the mall for the highest possible profit.
- tehtmi's Kingdom of Loathing diet calculator, based on the now-defunct Eleron's KoL diet lists, displays the optimal aftercore diets based on current mall prices.
- The Well-Tempered Anvil, Epicure, and Mixologist allow you to calculate the returns from food, booze, and pulverizing under various conditions.
- KoL Coldfront Marketplace 2.0 provides long-term history of item prices in the mall. It requires Adobe Flash.
- KoL Marketplace 2.1 is an alternative version that does not require Flash.
In addition to many online resources, there are also some tools for offline use.
- KujjieKujjieKoo's Barrel Full of Barrels Calculators are able to calculate the probability of each possible outcome of any given barrel.
- The Ascension Log Visualizer is a tool that is able to create ascension logs from Kolmafia sessions and visualize them through various different charts. It can also make visualizations from pre-parsed logs.