The Barrel full of Barrels/Old
The Barrel full of Barrels is located in The Big Mountains. To adventure here, you need to complete the guild (The Brotherhood of the Smackdown, The League of Chef-Magi, The Department of Shadowy Arts and Crafts) entry miniquest. Because none of the guilds can be used in Actually Ed the Undying, Zombie Slayer, Avatar of Boris, Avatar of Jarlsberg, or Avatar of Sneaky Pete, this area cannot be unlocked during these runs. When you enter, you'll be faced with 36 barrels -- 6 per row and column. Clicking on one smashes it, and takes one adventure. Either you'll find an item or fight a mimic, or the barrel will explode. Each barrel can only be smashed once. At rollover, all the barrels will be reset and randomized. The number of obstacles and the quality of awards increase in barrels closer to the top of the frame. This means that the top two rows are probably the rows to focus on. If you can defeat the mimics you will do well in these rows. The grid of barrels is subdivided into 9 2x2 sections ("quads"). Every barrel in a 2x2 section contains the same category of prize. Within a row the 2x2 sections seem random, except there is always one of each of the three types and the pattern for one pair of rows (say Booze, Stats, Restore) is not repeated for any other pair of rows. Additionally, note that there are actually only nine arrangements of quads that ever show up; observed patterns from smashing in one quad can be used to calculate conditional probabilities to maximize the chances of grabbing the desired item class (see Notes).
You acquire an item
|You acquire... something.|
The row a set of items will appear in is always the same. The column, however, is randomized at rollover. The possible items are:
|Top two rows:||
Doc Galaktik's Homeopathic Elixir
extra-strength strongness elixir
|Middle two rows:||
bottle of gin
Regular Cloaca Cola
|Bottom two rows:||
Doc Galaktik's Ailment Ointment
(once per day):
Your Barrel A Splode
|You lose X hit points.|
You fight a mimic
|small barrel mimic|
|medium-sized barrel mimic|
|huge barrel mimic|
This location used to be an adventure zone:
|tiny barrel mimic|
|Smashing a Barrel|
|Your Barrel A Splode|
- There are only nine observable arrangements of the quads. AFH has put together a barrel probability tool to assist barrel-smashers in their quest for booty. Summary of the nine distributions of Booze items, Spleen items, and Restoratives:
BSR - BRS - RSB - SBR - BRS - RBS - SRB - BRS - RSB BRS - RSB - SBR - BRS - RBS - SRB - BRS - RSB - BSR RSB - SBR - BRS - RBS - SRB - BRS - RSB - BSR - BRS
- In the absence of any conditional data, of the nine possible quad arrangements, the top-row mixed booze is in the left quad in four cases, the middle in two cases, and the right in three.
- For unmixed booze in the middle row, four of nine arrangements are in the left, two in the middle, and three in the right.
- If you smash a barrel that you already smashed (by clicking twice in a row on the same barrel when the server's slow, or by using the "back" button), you get an error message saying:
- KOMPRESSOR does not smash (barrel #N.)
(You tried to smash a barrel which was already smashed. Perhaps you are clicking too many times on the barrel.)
- Until October 3, 2006, the "Your Barrel A Splode" text read:
- It explodes, hurting you. Badly.
- Until October 11, 2005, the Barrel was a regular zone with unlimited combat and non-combat adventures.
- The KOMPRESSOR message is a reference to the song "KOMPRESSOR Does Not Dance" by KOMPRESSOR.
- Smashing barrels to gain random items and gold is a cliché of many computer RPGs and action games.
- "Your Barrel A Splode" is a reference to Homestar Runner. In the Strong Bad E-mail video games, Strong Bad imagines himself as the bad guy in a vector-based game, where he says "Your Head A Splode" when he defeats the player.
- Including the one barrel that's full of barrels, there is a total of 37 barrels (in multiple rows).