You will find archived zapping discussions here.
- 1 Mechanics of Zapping
- 2 Time Trappings
- 3 Observation about zapping DD keys
- 4 New Sauceror potions
- 5 Sodas
- 6 Key Limes & Elemental Foons
- 7 Savory Weapons
- 8 iceberglet items
- 9 Heat levels
- 10 HP Loss
- 11 Oyster Eggs
- 12 Crimboween 2006 Items
- 13 Fernswarthy's Manuals?
- 14 Cupcakes - ordered?
- 15 Mafia Wines
- 16 Tropical Crimbo Gear
- 17 What now?
- 18 New items for zapping enjoyment
- 19 Table for zap chances
- 20 Tiny Plastic Series 2
- 21 Minutiae of cool downs
- 22 Can we zap zapping wands?
- 23 Zapping Letters
- 24 New Wand
- 25 Terrifying Clown Suit
- 26 Ocean Treasure
- 27 Zombies?
- 28 Club jackets?
- 29 Most Profitable Zap
- 30 Hobopolis Testing
- 31 Maximising Zaps per day
- 32 Vials of Slime
- 33 Starting items
- 34 Zombie master brains
- 35 Raiments of the Final Boss
Mechanics of Zapping
Now its common knowledge that zapping DD keys will always get you the keys you are missing before it gets you anything else. If you have 2 boris keys and 1 Pete's Key. Zapping either will always result in a Jarlesburg key. You can put keys into your closet where they don't count to test this. If you have one of each key the result seems to be random.
Now I have noticed while zapping ores to try to get Linonium that I had 2chrome and 2 lino. I zap a chrome and get an asbesdos. I then closeted my lino ore and zapped the asbesdos and got a lino. Also when getting the mining outfit I had 2 hats and a mattock, and zapping a hat gave a pants straight away. This isn't consluive evidence, but it could be looked into? --D0om 05:50, 14 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
- I've always got the missing item in a group, but now when I zapped a star buckler while having a star hat in my inventory, it became another hat instead of star pants. Either it has got totally random, or it has always been and the RNG just has wanted to give me the items i lacked, until now. --Lime 07:38, 14 May 2006 (CDT)
- About zapping DD keys, 2 things. First, is there a reference on on the wiki about this already (none that I could find searching quickly)? And second, I noticed on a few runs that zapping _any_ DD room 10 item zaps into the key you're missing (it doesn't need to be another key). EG, with Boris and Jarls key and a Jarls earring, zapping the earring will get you the missing Pete's key. I don't know if it's just RNG randomness or built in. Can anyone confirm this? --Nappa 06:07, 4 July 2006 (CDT)
- This does not seem to work for tiny plastics uncommons. I zapped a tiny plastic turtle tamer and got a disco bandit, even though I had 6 of those and no tiny plastic bitchin' meatcars. I then closted my tiny plastic turtle tamers and zapped a tiny plastic disco bandit. That gave me a tiny plastic sauceror which I already had. --Crowther 16:26, 22 August 2006 (CDT)
Long time user, first time contributor. I searched thoroughly for info on the time sword/trousers/helmet zappability and found nothing, so am posting this: The time sword is zappable into time trousers. Yay! --Dancelot 12:25, 22 August 2006 (CDT)
- Just today I did the same... Time Sword > Time Trousers. --Gleezus 08:31, 25 August 2006 (CDT)
Observation about zapping DD keys
Today, on my Sauceror, I zapped a Jarlsberg's key into a Sneaky Pete's Breath Spray (with a marble wand). Curiously enough, on my Disco Bandit, I zapped a Jarlsberg's key into another breath spray. The Sauceror had two Sprays, three Jarlsberg Earrings, two Boris Rings, two Boris keys, five Jarlsberg keys, and four Pete keys. The Bandit had one Spray, no Earrings, two rings, two Boris keys, three Jarlsberg keys, and two Pete keys. Is this just a coincidence or could it be that some items zap into other items more often/only(?) on certain days?--Piroteknix 13:41, 22 August 2006 (CDT)
- apart from two keys -> missing key, that's just rng screwage. if you believe me to be wrong, do some research and report back. --Evilkolbot 15:20, 22 August 2006 (CDT)
- It says here Talk:Zapping#Mechanics_of_Zapping that you can hide keys in your closet, so if you want a certain key, just hide all you have of that one. No more RNG problems. --Crowther 16:13, 22 August 2006 (CDT)
- Is the always-zap-into-missing-key thing definitely confirmed? If so, we need to add it to the main zapping page as well as the 6 Daily Dungeon Room 10 items. --Gymnosophist 22:48, 11 September 2006 (CDT)
- It is definitely not always true, but a very high chance. Today I just zapped a earring into a breath spray while having a Boris and a Jarlsberg key, before that I always remembered getting a missing key. The /hardcore crowd were guessing a 95% chance. --Hurax 12:21, 5 October 2006 (CDT)
- Miscellaneous piece of information - if you have a cool wand and a single DD key, there is about a 42.4% chance of seeing all three keys in one day via zapping (specifically a 217/512 probability). This includes seeing the original key. --Mukiba 17:24, 1 December 2012 (CET)
New Sauceror potions
It seems as they are not zappable (tried oil of slipperiness, ointment, tomato juice) --Hurax 12:17, 29 August 2006 (CDT)
It looks like Sodas is a new three member group. Cloaca-Cola and Dyspepsi-Cola had been tested as zapping into Mountain Stream soda, and now the Mountain Stream soda has been tested and zapped into a Dyspepsi-Cola. Other sodas (Cherry Cloaca Cola, Diet Cloaca Cola and Regular Cloaca Cola) had already been tested as unzappable. --Gymnosophist 03:58, 11 September 2006 (CDT)
Key Limes & Elemental Foons
I just tried to zap both a Sneaky Pete's key lime and a Foon of fulmination and got nothing, so it doesn't appear that Key Limes or The New Elemental Foons can be zapapble. --RPGMarker35 19:00, 15 September 2006 (CDT)
The Super Magic Power Sword X doesn't zap into anything, so it seems that the upgraded savory weapons don't zap into anything.--Aznpride05 18:17, 19 September 2006 (CDT)
i zapped an ice pick into an ice sickle today. i cant figure out how to make the zapping template, can someone do it?
Right, I have one of the zap levels for you.
The message upon zapping was "The marble wand gets really hot. You should probably be careful." and in the zap screen it says "Your wand feels warm to the touch..."
--Damuna 13:21, 2 October 2006 (CDT)
And I have another, I've zapped three times now, and I don't feel stupid enough to zap more items yet.
The message upon zapping was "The marble wand starts to vibrate. Wisps of smoke rise from the end. You should definitely be careful." and in the zap screen it says "Your wand feels warm to the touch..."
I am under the impression that the heat level indicator is not at all helpful. --Damuna 13:24, 2 October 2006 (CDT)
Oh, hadn't seen that. You don't seem to have the explosion picture, it's this if you need it:
Also, once your wand blows up it says "You don't have a <type> wand anymore... How sad." --Damuna 10:54, 5 October 2006 (CDT)
- It'd be nice if people could record the hp lost when they blow up their wands right before an ascension along with any other possibly relevant info. We'll see.--Dehstil (t|c) 15:41, 29 October 2006 (CST)
I zapped a stuffed astral badger about a week or so ago. Didn't work. --dhelor 14:42, 9 November 2006 (PST)
FYI, all Oyster Eggs are already confirmed to be part of the group, the red plastic, being the most valuable, was the last one checked. Better look at the new items, I'm lagging far behind. --Hurax 17:26, 25 November 2006 (CST)
Crimboween 2006 Items
I just zapped a stringy sinew, and got "The stringy sinew shudders for a moment, but nothing happens." So it appears the new Crimbo Rock "ingredients" don't zap yet.
--Dph948 13:57, 1 December 2006 (CST)
In addition, the candy stake (and therefore presumably the other Crimboween Calendar options for rewards) does not zap. --Dph948 14:00, 1 December 2006 (CST)
Doesn't appear that the items from The Crimboween Spooky Fright Factory zap either.--RPGMarker35 16:13, 4 December 2006 (CST)
Zapped Orange and Black Crimboween candy. Nothing happens. --cl4rk3 13:34, 27 December 2006 (CST)
Cupcakes - ordered?
I've been zapping pink cupcakes the last few days, and I've gotten 5 purple cupcake results and no other results. The purple cupcakes have zapped twice into green cupcakes. I'm thinking this is too high a number to be coincidence. Are the cupcake zaps predictable and ordered? ie will a pink cupcake always zap into a purple one? And what is the complete sequence?Teffania
- very small datasets are always problematic. i just zapped two purples and got green both times. i would agree that, on the face of it, we have an order here. or some unlikely big and serious rng love. --Evilkolbot 12:53, 1 March 2007 (CST)
- hmm. just zapped purple -> pink. reductio ad absurdum. --Evilkolbot 12:12, 3 March 2007 (CST)
- ok, so I see the following possibilities:
- I had strange RNG luck
- This behaviour only occurs occasionally eg moon phases
- There is a tendancy towards a certain result, rather than an absolute result
Occums razor says the first option is the most likely by a long way. The second two should show up on a large data set. I might just keep stats on the results of my zapping to see if the data is approaching the expected even distribution by 100 zaps. I know that's still too small a data set, but it might be enough to decide if a full scale data collection is warranted.Teffania
I have been wondering the same thing about brownies. I've zapped chorizo brownies for five days in a row and always got carob brownies. Today I zapped a carob brownie instead and got a herb brownie. Does anyone have a counter example for either the cupcakes or the brownies? Oh, I see somebody already reported a purple -> pink counter example. Oh well. Blimey 23:33, 26 July 2007 (CDT)
- Today I got the herb brownies. The score: 6 carob, 1 herb. Blimey 01:34, 29 July 2007 (CDT)
I tested a few mafia wines today. Acqua Del Piatto Merlot, Ferita Del Petto Zinfandel, and Uovo Marcio Shiraz all zap. Still need confirmation on Maiali Sifilitici Pinot Noir, Ferita Del Petto Zinfandel, and Spasmi Dolorosi Del Rene Champagne. --TechSmurf 10:46, 1 March 2007 (CST)
More testing! Maiali Sifilitici Pinot Noir zapped from Acque Luride Grezze Cabernet, then that into a Acqua Del Piatto Merlot, then a Maiali Sifilitici Pinot Noir, then a Uovo Marcio Shiraz. Then my wand exploded. More data next run. --TechSmurf 18:51, 21 March 2007 (CDT)
The Spasmi Dolorosi Del Rene Champagne shudders for a moment, but nothing happens. Also, I've heard that Ferita Del Petto Zinfandel doesn't zap, either. Mistake on my part. Whoops. Updating the group to confirmed. --TechSmurf 19:00, 7 April 2007 (CDT)
Tropical Crimbo Gear
It's kind of odd, hat zaps to shorts, shorts zap to hat, and sword zaps to shorts. I'll experiment some more tomorrow.--Dante5454 15:19, 19 March 2007 (CDT)
EDIT=Uhh, scratch all that, with more experimentation today, shorts->sword then again sword->shorts...Explanations anyone?--Dante5454 14:59, 20 March 2007 (CDT)
So the trick is that any of the set will zap in to any of the others. so there is a 50/50 chance that the sword will zap to the hat, and same chance it will zap to the shorts. Same goes for the other items. --Univector llama 15:02, 20 March 2007 (CDT)
Yep, that's confirmed. I just understood it as there was a rotation, i.e. hat to shorts, shorts to sword, sword to hat etc. Ah well, thanks llama--Dante5454 18:12, 21 March 2007 (CDT)
With Werebear's help, I've managed to test almost everything that still needed testing. He'll be doing all the untradable items and letting me know about them. Should we remove the call for testing on the front page and the top of the article?
Also, should I go through the alphabetical list and confirm everything that doesn't have a confirmation comment?--TechSmurf 13:28, 10 April 2007 (CDT)
- I went ahead and removed the call for testing because basically all reasonable items have been confirmed in one way or another. I also removed the "What Needs To Be Tested" section because: 1) It was basically empty, and 2) That sort of material is better suited for talk pages. As such, the following miscellaneous items were all that were left untested: big ol' trophy, Bigger Bugfinder Blade, Bugfinder Blade, consolation ribbon, and Frank Gorshin trophy. And then the "Not really implemented" items too: Lockenstock (TM) sandals, Tof0n chow mein, Tofat appendix chow mein, Tofat wing chow mein, and Tofofu chow mein. But that can be seen on the items by name page anyway.
Also, I don't know if it's worth it to go through all the items without a zap confirmation message. I guess if you really want to, but they've all been tested at least once already. Perhaps we shouldn't even note a confirmation date as it seems to confuse most people anyway. Also also, I don't think any custom items are on the items by alpha pages... and clearly those would be much more difficult to test for zapping, although it's extremely likely that none of them do. I don't know what to do with those. --TheDotGamer 10:04, 22 April 2007 (CDT)
New items for zapping enjoyment
With all the new items from NS-13 there are going to be tons of things to add to the zapping page
Zapped Black Pepper and it became dehydrated caviar--Williabr 22:21, 27 June 2007 (CDT)
Long pork -> displaced fish --Davidmac 11:30, 28 June 2007 (CDT)
As a long shot here, cna anyone try zapping the lvl 12 quest rewards? --Promeatius 11:48, 12 July 2007 (CDT)
Zapped a tropical orchid into a Barbed-wire fence.--Promeatius 14:51, 18 July 2007 (CDT)
White picket fences no longer zap into a barbed wire fence.--Vysion 10:35, 19 July 2007 (CDT)
The Duct tape trousers became a duct tape fedora for me, so they do zap too. Just check out the rest!--Kosher le pesach 17:50, 14 August 2007 (CDT)
Just tried zapping a bounty-hunting rifle, and it turned into a bounty-hunting helmet. I suspect the entire outfit could be a zap group. --Kyler Thatch 23:52, 24 August 2007 (CDT)
Table for zap chances
I calculated the chances that a wand will survive n consecutive uses and created a table with the data. Unfortunately, I'm not so good with wiki table creation and formatting. Could someone please make this look pretty and put it on the page under the "heat levels" heading? Thanks. --Deusnoctum 20:13, 21 August 2007 (CDT)
Tiny Plastic Series 2
There are also comments on Talk:Tiny plastic series 2
I zapped a Tiny Plastic Felonia and it became a Tiny Plastic Beelzebozo. Since both are uncommons, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Tiny Plastic Series 2 has the same zapping rules as series 1 did, with the obvious exception that the Tiny Plastic Naughty Sorceress probably doesn't zap into anything. Sky Bolt 06:58, 16 December 2007 (CST)
Zapped tiny plastic Zmobie received tiny plastic Knob Goblin harem girl. --Genius 01:21, 26 December 2007 (CST)
Zapping the TP Naughty Sorceress has no effect. --World's Number 1 Grandpa 20:43, 26 December 2007 (CST)
- I just turned a Felonia into a The Man, could it be that plastics only zap into other plastics of the rarity group?--RPGMarker35 21:20, 26 December 2007 (CST)
I've zapped each of the tiny plastic series 2 rares (Dr. Awkward, Ed the Undying, Lord Spookyraven, and protector spectre). They are definitely a zap group. --Aseigler 13:53, 10 January 2008 (CST)
Ive zapped my Protector Spectre into all the other rares. Also zapped a common into another common (forgot what is was before but i remember it became a tiny plastic knob bean counter)--TehChozenOne 00:48, 18 January 2008 (CST)
Minutiae of cool downs
I believe that rollover cools a wand back down to cool no matter how many heat levels up it is prior. If a wand can zap successfully three times without exploding, can it do so consistently each day within that ascension? Or is it an RNG thing?
- One no matter how hot the wand is, unless it explodes, it cools down to no use. And RNG is what determines how many zaps you get a day. --Chunky_boo 00:13, 31 December 2007 (CST)
Can we zap zapping wands?
This is not matter of great importance, I were just curious: the page reports zapping wands as the last example of non-zappable items. Does anybody know if this have been tested? Bounty anter 17:02, 9 January 2008 (CST)
- The wands can't be tested as they don't show up on the dropdown list.
- Well we've tested all sorts of other things via script trickery, why not this? If you can figure out a way to make hot stuffing, I would think you could figure out how to zap something via scripting...or maybe not. --Jimfromtx 13:23, 3 February 2008 (CST)
I've noticed over the last couple Bad Moon runs that, lacking a Lowercase N (for NG.. far prior to actually climbing the tower), when I zap a letter it turns into a Lowercase N. This run I also happened to need an Original G to make NG and my two zaps produced an N and a G. Could just be RNG, but it seems like the first time you zap a letter it becomes an N, from my experience. Bakapyrite 13:55, 16 April 2008 (CDT)
The wands can now be re-obtained three days after exploding, using the same process as getting it the first time. The update includes something about zombies (not zmobies as usual) 25 days after that, which is obviously a reference to 28 days later...
I have just re-obtained the wand, so I'll have to keep an eye out. --Scutterman 14:03, 16 April 2008 (CDT)
I have a feeling the 25 days later was just a joke, but knowing the dev team, maybe not o_O Ooh, I know! Maybe 25 days later, the rift to the seaside town in the future opens? They've been talking for awhile on possibly making pineal glands drop again, once they get rare enough... one can only hope :D And I'm glad that you can re-obtain the wands, if you're going for the extinctionist trophy, might as well have the opportunity to re-obtain the wand, right? --Jimfromtx 15:38, 16 April 2008 (CDT)
Well, 05/11/08... it's getting close to the deadline of 25 days. So, the question has to be asked... What are you all expecting? I for one would be a bit disappointed if there wasn't some mew adventures or something... although it is confusing me how they'll fit in different people re-obtaining at different times.--Scutterman 10:55, 11 May 2008 (CDT)
I just got my 3rd wand this ascension after blowing up the second one and waiting 3 days. Pretty cool.--Treefrog 06:43, 11 May 2008 (CDT)
Terrifying Clown Suit
Today i zapped the Bloody Clown Pants into a Polka-dot Bowtie and into Clown Shoes, at which point my wand blew up. The Clown suit is not mentioned as zappable, nor are the individual pieces marked as zappable. Could someone test other pieces of the outfit, and update the pages if necessary?--Euan 06:33, 8 May 2008 (CDT)
- Zapped clown shoes into bloody clown pants. --Prestige 20:19, 8 May 2008 (CDT)
- Zapped bloody clown pants into clown shoes. --Prestige 23:52, 13 May 2008 (CDT)
- Nose->pants. --Bagatelle 21:17, 14 May 2008 (CDT)
- Cap->nose. Looks like a group to me. --Bagatelle 17:26, 18 May 2008 (CDT)
I've tried zapping the Gilded Ancient Cursed Chest and the Ornate Ancient Cursed Key, and they are not zappable. --Aftermath 14:01, 12 May 2008 (CDT)
When do the 28 days later zombies appear? What do they do? --Rethhus 15:05, 14 May 2008 (CDT)
Well, by my calculation, 05-16-08 (American format), but I may be slightly out. I think my post in talk about re-obtaining was posted on the same day I got the wand, and that was the day of the update.
Edit: looks like I posted on the 16th, so that would make today the day... anyone seen anything?--Scutterman 15:54, 14 May 2008 (CDT)
Has anyone tried zapping the club jackets (General Sage's Lonely Diamonds Club Jacket, for example) you can get at the oasis? (I'd test it, but I haven't reached the oasis yet.) Fnord Prefect 09:27, 18 May 2008 (CDT)
- Yes, it has been tried; no it doesn't work: Items by Name (Fl-Ha). --Bagatelle 17:26, 18 May 2008 (CDT)
Most Profitable Zap
127.0.0.1 04:24 17 June 2008 (CDT)
It occurred to me that the Hobopolis Outfits (and possibly other stuff) may be zappable. We need this tested. --Mudman 05:24, 20 June 2008 (CDT)
- Ol' Scratch's ash can->Ol' Scratch's stovepipe hat, so presumably all outfits are zappable as would be expected. --Bagatelle 11:08, 22 June 2008 (CDT)
I would be surprised if the outfits weren't zap groups. What I want to know is whether Hodgman's offhand items are a zap group. --BaronVonWurlitzer 20:31, 22 June 2008 (CDT)
Hodgman's offhand items are unzappable. I tried to zap varcolac paw. --Spiderveins mcgee 16:15, 25 June 2008 (CDT)
6 zaps later and I'm still alternating between Hodgmans pants and his bow tie. Anyone actually zapped into the hat?
EDIT: 8 zaps now...
EDIT2: Oh don't mind me. I got it after 12 zaps xD --Darkzelkova 23:46, 7 July 2008 (CDT)
I experienced normal hodgman zapping, from hat to bowtie to pants to hat, 1 zap each--Alabit 22:41, 11 August 2008 (CDT)
- Unzappable = Chester's Aquarius medallion
- Zappable = Chester's moustache->Chester's cutoffs --Getfresh 07:14, 13 August 2009 (UTC)
Maximising Zaps per day
I've been trying to work out if you get more zaps per day on average by using your wand twice. I can summarise my thinking in the following table:
|Day||First zap chance||Second zap chance|
|4||0.672||0.504||(0.672 = 0.422 + 0.25 * 1 = chance original wand survives + chance original wand died three days ago and you get a new wand)|
|Limit||0.667||0.5||(0.667 = 0.5 + 0.25 * 0.667 = chance original wand survives + chance original wand died three days ago and you get a new wand)|
0.667 + 0.5 > 1, so I believe you get more zaps per day on average by trying to use it twice per day. Can anyone check my reasoning? Birk 06:29, 19 July 2008 (CDT)
If you're still curious, I worked it out using Markov chains - basically state machines with probabilities of being able to transition between states. The four states (ready to zap, waiting day 1, waiting day 2, and waiting day 3) and the probability of transitioning from one to the next given that we're zapping twice a day can be expressed as a matrix, call it A:
You can then multiply the matrix by probability vectors to get the probabilities for the next day. For example, suppose we have a working wand; the current-state probability vector (let's call it x) is:
A*x gives us the probabilities for the next day. In particular, there's a .75 chance we'll have a working wand, and a .25 chance we'll be on waiting day 1. We can also do something like A*A*x to get the probabilities for two days from now, etc.
Now the more interesting bit: the steady state matrix is given by taking the limit as k approaches infinity of A^k; it has the interesting property that all the columns are the same. This makes sense, since no matter where you start, after a really long time the distribution should be the same. The steady-state probability vector for this matrix is:
Since we get two zaps out of a good wand, whether it breaks or not, we should therefore expect 8/7 zaps/day. So in a week, we should average an extra zap compared to just doing one a day. Of course, all this assumes we're willing to spend the 5k on a mimic every time a wand breaks, and we don't care about having a sure-fire zap ready in the next few days.
TL;DR: if you don't mind shelling out for broken wands, you get more zaps over the long term by zapping twice each day than just once. --Tburke 14:05, 29 September 2009 (UTC)
Just a reminder in case anyone isn't good at math: If you have a PYEC 2 safe zaps per day has the highest yield (2/day rather than something like 1.7/day). Would it make sense to put these 'optimal zapping' values in the notes section? --Silent Knight 14:48, 2 October 2010 (UTC)
I came here looking for information on optimal zapping; so I vote for it being added to the page.Stannius 18:49, 17 November 2010 (UTC)
Vials of Slime
I'm not up for testing them ALL, but thought I'd toss out that I've been able to zap a vial of red slime into a vial of blue slime and also a vial of vermilion slime into a vial of purple slime. I presume that all three 1st tier zap into each other, the 2nd tier zap into each other, and the 3rd tier zap into each other. Feel free to verify this and put the info up in the appropriate places, because I'm not going to do it any time soon. --Keristars 08:33, 18 February 2010 (UTC)
I did the first tier, and each of the primary colors does indeed zap into the two other primary colors. I'll put that up and start on secondary. --Berith 14:17, 6 May 2010 (UTC)
Confirmed all the secondary ones. --Berith 11:39, 16 May 2010 (UTC)
Zapped Indigo->Chartreuse->Amber->Chartreuse. --RogerMexico 23:58, 15 October 2010 (UTC)
with the recent revamp to the starting items for each class I'd gamble that the starting items zap group is now out of date.. can we get confirmation and updates to the relevant pages? --Silent Knight 10:07, 7 October 2010 (UTC)
Zombie master brains
Today I zapped a crappy brain into a good one. A natural guess would be that all three basic brains (crappy, decent and good) form a zap group.
- And today I zapped a decent into a good one.