Talk:The Caliginous Abyss
The turns to encounter Mom seems to be out. I was running fishy for 20 turns with all three buffs and had not had the non-combat encounter. --"Your reason is treason" - Kasabian (talk) 05:27, 1 December 2020 (UTC)
I agree with Kasabian, the turns to encounter Mom need spading. With none of the items I adventured for more than 30 adventures without finding her. As soon as I got myself a shark jumper, I went back and found her within 5 turns.--Tiny Plastic Andalite (talk) 05:38, 23 January 2021 (UTC)
Should this old, and now documented data be removed?
- There's a low, pulsating rumbling in this part of the cave, as if the devil himself was doing a dubstep DJ set down in Hey Deze. You listen until the rumbling starts to sound like someone droning, "BLEED FOR MOTHER." Then you decide you should probably keep moving.
- You trip on a broken doll lying on the floor of the cave. It looks like a crude representation of a Sea Monkee, but with black buttons for eyes. It seems like it's twitching slightly, or maybe it's just the current down here--either way, you're eager to keep moving away from it.
- A pilot-fish comes swimming at you, holding a green, guttering lantern in each of its big, beefy arms(?). It turns and grunts, "Keep watching the traffic cones," as it swims by. Okay, man, this place is seriously weird.
- A school of tiny glowing jellyfish swim up to you. They swim around your head for a second, then take positions and spell out a message: "WEAR A SWEATER OR YOU'LL CATCH YOUR DEATH OF COLD." Weird.
- The rock on the floor of the cave has deep impressions gouged into it, as if the cave floor had been a superhighway for all manner of tentacled, clawed things. Just looking at it makes you shiver a little.
- You see a big fish come swimming toward you. It's almost the size of a person--oh, weird. As it swims past, you see it's actually you, and the other you doesn't look like it's having a good time. Freaky, man.
- There's a deep thrumming noise coming from this part of the cave, a bass that rattles your sternum and would make your eyes water if you weren't already underwater. A manta ray twice your size swims up and spreads its fins wide. Across his back is written the non sequitur "COMB YOUR HAIR. YOU LOOK LIKE A HIPPY."
In addition to those messages, I found these:
- You see a message scratched in the wall, hastily carved with fingernails or claws in letters a foot tall. It reads, "MOTHER OH GOD MOTHER BLOOD." That's not a good sign.
- An enormous fish swims toward you, swishing silently through the water. As it comes closer, you see it has an elongated, twisted human face, its mouth open in a silent scream. Yipe.
- You swim into a part of the cave that's dimly lit by phosphorescent algae. They're growing in fractal patterns that make your head ache a bit. Then you see a little patch that clearly spells out, "MOTHER KNOWS BEST" in creepy squiggly letters. Gah.
The messages all stop when you find Mom. Also, the HIPPY message doesn't occur when you've got Jelly Combed, and the UNDERWEAR message (which isn't here, but I remember seeing) doesn't show up if you're wearing scale-mail underwear, and this is expected to speed up the quest. People are still working on what you can wear to stop the SWEATER message showing. --KingBobson (talk) 01:34, 13 April 2013 (UTC)
Does anything happen if you have all of the 'potion' effects fully stacked on top of each other at the same time? Do you think it could be part of a quest later?--Tombot (talk) 01:19, 13 April 2013 (UTC)
- I tested what happened with all three third-tier potion effects right after it was released, and nothing happened, which I found rather unexpected. And maybe the Dad quest, who knows. --KingBobson (talk) 01:34, 13 April 2013 (UTC)
- Another message:
- The ground in the cave turns kind of squishy, which isn't pleasant, then kind of warm and pulsating and squishy, which is even less pleasant. You swim up to the roof of the cave, which is equally gross, and decide to just keep pressing forward.
I'm not positive that I counted correctly, but I think I found mom on my 13th adventure in the Abyss -- this is not including the one-time welcome "adventure" The_Dark_Cave_of_Dark_Wonders,_Through_a_Glass_Darkly. I did four combats, then equipped a shark jumper and did eight more combats. Unfortunately I neglected to track which messages I got when. Given the dark possessed nature of mom, the number 13 seems unlikely to be a coincidence. My guess is that an adventurer must "check off" all thirteen messages, but that at least three of the messages can be checked off without actually seeing them in combat. The exact rules of "checking off" a message require further spading. Here are some possibilities:
- Whether you've checked off all the messages is checked each time you adventure, before the noncombat (superlikely?) is checked for. So for example, say I got lucky and in my first ten combats, I got the ten post-combat messages that did not involve the sweater, underwear, or comb. I could then equip/use those three items and be guaranteed to encounter mom on my next adventure. Contrariwise, I could use the sweater, underwear, and comb for the first ten combats, but if I then took one of them off, on my eleventh adventure I would encounter a combat that ends with the corresponding message.
- Winning a fight with the sweater/underwear/comb automatically checks off the corresponding message(s). You only need to use each for one combat.
- Something more complicated. For example, at the end of combat, the game rolls an unchecked message. If the randomly-selected message is covered by the sweater/underwear/comb, the message is checked off, and the game rolls another message.
Twelve turns to rescue mom with shark jumper/scale-mail underwear/Jelly Combed. That is counting the introduction turn and the actual "Yo' Mama So Possessed By Evil . . ." turn. Also, had (total of -5% encounter) Fresh Scent, fishy, and Salty Dogs active. I only noticed the "MOTHER OH GOD MOTHER BLOOD" after several of the encounters but I could have missed some. Wearing sea mantle and wielding a cozy scimitar, too.--MageRed (talk) 01:02, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
- Second run through with similar set-up (had -15% encounters this time), twelve turns total again (intro, 10 combats, completion). Paying closer attention to the messages, the ones I received (in order) were: octopus, bleed for mother, octopus, mother blood, mother blood, broken doll, octopus, broken doll, squishy ground, broken doll.--MageRed (talk) 23:26, 11 August 2013 (UTC)
- Third run through with similar set-up (had -5% encounters); Old School Pompadour, fishy, Really Deep Breath, Silent Running, and Salty Dogs amongst other buffs active. Twelve turns total again. Did not see the "mother blood" message this time but did see the "bleed for mother". Messages in order: bleed for mother, enormous fish, rock on floor, enormous fish, rock on floor, pilot fish, bleed for mother, enormous fish, broken doll, octopus.--MageRed (talk) 23:08, 16 August 2013 (UTC)
- Fourth run, similar setup but without Salty Dogs, Really Deep Breath, Silent Running, Old School Pompadour, or cozy scimitar and wearing a sea shawl vice the mantle; twelve turns total again. Messages in order: octopus, bleed for mother, pilot-fish, mother blood, enormous fish, octopus, pilot-fish, enormous fish, octopus, pilot-fish. --MageRed (talk) 21:19, 26 August 2013 (UTC)
- Another run, this time without having the effect Jelly Combed active but still wearing the underwear and jumper. 15 total adventures spent (includes intro and Yo' Mama non-coms). Received the hippy message twice.--MageRed (talk) 10:18, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
- No sweater. Jelly Combed and underwear: 16 total adventures.--MageRed (talk) 22:40, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
Those results above are odd, because I regularly complete this quest in 13 turns. As in, I always have 7 turns of the Jelly Combed effect when I finish the quest. Always. And I'm always wearing the right equipment.--Hastifer (talk) 19:10, 6 October 2014 (UTC)
Peanut and Queue manipulation
Peanut seems to have a separate queue than the other 3 monsters. Banishing eye in the darkness and slithering thing and then using macrometeorite on school of many just gives out a tumbleweed. Is the peanut appearing every fixed amount of rounds? --Taltamir (talk) 16:52, 19 September 2018 (UTC)