Talk:Shifty, the Thief Chief
Moxie for pass
I've gotten past 11-card Monte with only 5 Moxie.--DementiaIncarnate 11:52, 3 June 2006 (CDT)
I passed (as a HC Accordion Thief) with a raw Moxie of 6. Maybe we need to figure out the min Moxie value that gives you a chance of passing (maybe 5) and the value that guarantees you pass.--Mustard 10:15, 29 June 2006 (CDT)
- Neither is 15 unbuffed (17 buffed). --Baltar 19:55, 11 July 2006 (CDT)
- Neither is 18 raw Moxie. I'm guessing that you get a chance at 18 raw or buffed, but it's not guaranteed. Has anyone passed at 18? I'm going to edit the page to reflect this.--Mustard 12:37, 4 September 2006 (CDT)
I got Shifty a beer with Moxie at 20 buffed / 13 raw.--Dkohler 13:56, 18 July 2006 (CDT)
I just did the first three quests with a moxie of 13 (no buffs) and passed all three. This was my first time doing any of the quests (just created an account today), and I was given 3 Perpendicular Hulas, not Rockin' Wagons. I am guessing that once I ascend and repeat the quest I'll get Rockin Wagons.--J12601 01:36, 8 August 2006 (CDT)
I just created a new account and headed straight for the first challenge. With 3 moxie, I passed the challenge in 8 adventures. --TheArchivist 19:28, 20 September 2007 (CDT)
- Buffed or raw moxie? --Missingno 19:36, 20 September 2007 (CDT)
- Both. (i.e. I wasn't under the influence of any buffs). --TheArchivist 19:45, 20 September 2007 (CDT)
Now I passed the second challenge with 7 moxie in 5 adventures. I was under the influence of no buffs. At a moxie of 6, I failed 32 times before giving up. --TheArchivist 22:29, 23 September 2007 (CDT)
It's possible to fail the first with 8 (6) moxie. --Lordebon 20:51, 31 December 2008 (UTC)
It's also possible to fail the first with 9 (9) moxie. --Kpsmith67 23:50, 14 April 2009 (UTC)
I just failed the second test at 11 (11) moxie. --Professor Why 02:52, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
My reward for passing 11-card Monte included one Homeopathic Elixir and but no Rockin' Wagon. This is with a hard-core oxygenarian. I was wondering if Teatotalers as well as soft-core oxygenarian also get non-booze?--MicheleColeman 00:32, 13 June 2006 (CDT)
- As a HC Teetotaler Accordion Thief, I passed and all I got was a magicalness pill and 2 giant moxie weeds. Doesn't look like Teetotalers (always) get food.--Mustard 10:15, 29 June 2006 (CDT)
- You get less booze the more times you ascend. Could it be that you've ascended more than 2 times?--Piroteknix 17:23, 14 August 2006 (CDT)
- As an SC oxygenarian Accordion Thief on my 3rd ascension, I got 1 Knob Goblin superseltzer. --Prestige 21:05, 23 November 2006 (CST)
- As a HCO Accordion Thief with one previous ascension, he gave me 2 knob goblin superseltzers. --Creepingcrud 17:44, 3 May 2007 (CDT)
- "So you wanna join the Department of Shadowy Arts and Crafts, eh?" Shifty says. "Well, I can't be letting just anybody in. I'm gonna have to give you a test."
"What kind of test?" you ask.
"Lessee..." Shifty looks around the room, then points surreptitiously at a guy lounging in the back. "See that guy over there? That's Izzy the Lizard. Think you can steal his wallet without him noticing?"
"You mean this wallet right here?" you say. "...Hey, wait a minute..."
"Yeah, this wallet right here," Shifty says, taking it out of his pocket. "Not bad, kid. You've got potential."
"So I'm in?"
He shakes his head. "That was just a, whaddyacallit, a preliminary. Here's the real test: I want you to steal your own pants. Without you noticing."
"Steal my... without noticing? That doesn't make any kind of sense."
"Well, if you want in, I guess you'll have to figure it out, kid. Here's a hint: check out the Sleazy Back Alley nearby." Eightstraight 21:31, 16 July 2011 (CEST)
- "Hey, kid. How'd it go?"
"I did it!" you say. "I stole my own pants, and I didn't even notice! I've got them right..."
"Right here," Shifty says, as he gives them to you. "Nicely done, kid. That is, of course, assuming that you actually did steal them. You might have just borrowed them from yourself, and lied about stealing them."
"What? But I..."
"Nah, don't worry about it. I believe you, so either you're a good thief, or you're a good liar. Either way, you're in."
"Lefty can teach you some new tricks. Check out the Shadowy Store if you wanna pick up some tools. And ask Izzy for the keys to the guild Meatcar if you ever want to take it for a spin.
Now put your pants back on, okay?" Eightstraight 21:39, 16 July 2011 (CEST)
- "Oh, it's you again. Listen, kid -- as much as I'd love to have the spare time to sit around chewing the fat with every Tom, Dick and Mary that wanders in here, I've got important things to steal and important people to assassinate. Go bother somebody else.
Lefty, for instance. I think I heard him calling your name just now.""[sic]Eightstraight 21:39, 16 July 2011 (CEST)