Talk:Friday the 13th
Are people only getting these messages with a dissasembled clover in your inventory? I had mine in my closet, and did not start getting the messages until it was in my inventory. ~GusterLover6: January 13, 2005 :: 12:07 AM EST
- I don't have any clovers in my inventory and I got the messages. It doesn't seem to be connected to disassembled clovers in the inventory and is likely random (although you could prove me wrong.) --Raikage 00:10, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
- I also got a message with no clovers, disassembled or otherwise, in inventory. --Baltar 02:00, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
There are two theories about this day going on. One is that the messages prevent meat and item drops. The other is it increases the accuracy of the snowy owl. Can we get tests? Mine were not conclusive enough. Also, I do not think the Friday the 13th events happen in the Battlefield.--LilithTaveril 03:38, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
- Hunting on the Icy Peak, I just recieved the message about the dead ladybug and also recieved 364 meat and a yeti fur. That's pretty much average. I had the leprechaun, so that might have affected it, but I think it's more likely that this message doesn't mean anything about what you get and don't get. --Kantania 04:24, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
- I was on the battlefield for most of my adventures - I got two "bad luck" post-fight comments. I also found a ten-leaf clover (I'm Marmot sign) on my very last adventure, so that theory (which I've heard elsewhere) is also disconfirmed. Sotek 06:43, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
Take_it_slow said in the forums: "OMG, on my 13th to last adventure, I fought a weird monster called a bad-luck demon, and got a disassembled 5-leaf clover, it is a quest item?!?!" he was the only person to report this so I suppose it was a joke or something... nothing special happened in my own 13th-to-last adventure.
Something might still happen tomorrow (like the day after St. Sneaky Pete's), too.
--NewZorkBat 03:45, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
Given the Nethack reference, has anyone tried specifically adventuring in the Dungeons of Doom to look for extra effects?
I adventured in Dungeons of Doom for quite a while, I didn't notice anything except it seemed I had less bad luck messages when I had the Snowy Owl. Mannerisky
This could just be coincidence since I wasn't paying close attention, but it seems when I get an F13 (Friday the 13th) message, I lose a buff. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sorry, forgot to sign my last post (above). --SpleenMaster 11:39, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
I can't confirm this, but I think I lost two fullness. I ate three reagant pasta (stomach of steel), adventured for a while, and when I was finished, I was too full to even drink Goat's Milk. Banjooie 14:37, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
Actually, I got a monster I didn't ever see before during an adventure. It was at the Elbow of the Woods, wossname. --Vreck 15:22, 13 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
Actually, you don't have to be any special sign to get the 5-leaf clover message, I got it without any sign as my character has not accended yet. --corhub
Barachel001 asks: Does anyone expect similar events this October?
I can confirm similar events...so far I have received the dead ladybug, crack in the ground, and black cat messages. --Chaostream
I am preety sure that the messages have ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on gameplay.--Jubbers 00:45, 13 October 2006 (CDT)
Has anyone else had any problems with the mall? Maybe I'm just making mountains out of mole-hills, but I've bought several things from the mall that haven't showed up in my inventory. Specifically, I decided to buy my very first banana smoothie (I took a screencap to prove I bought it,) and now I can't find it in my inventory. I looked everywhere! Under drinks, under food, under miscellaneous... For that matter, I even looked under sell menu and I couldn't find it. I looked over every item in my inventory, and it was no where to be found.
Is it possible that things just disappear? Or, maybe items and such are pulled before they make it to a player's inventory? In any case, I wouldn't mind unraveling the mystery (or finding out if I really did lose my mind. Either way.) --KRWalker 16:37, 13 April 2007 (CDT)
the date for the 3rd predicted date is chronologically later than the second date. (assuming you are on a linear time stream like most of us). Perhaps it should say 2007? Teffania
Angelcat just added, "It seems that you will lose a disassembled ten-leaf clover if you have one on hand." As far as I can tell, this was just a guess and not confirmed, since I've never seen it happen or read anyone say it's true. --Crowther 10:49, 10 November 2006 (CST)
I can confirm a loss of 3 disassembled ten-leaf clovers during Friday the 13th via Mafia Session Results
Clovers were in inventory and not closeted.
No clovers were actively used during the day.
KolMafia Session results show: ten-leaf clover (-3)
KolMafia Graphical CLI does not mention a loss of clover when the message appears after battle in the Web Browser
Web Browser displays the expected image and message after battle:
Image: disclover.gif Text: You hear an owl hoot three times. Damn it.
--IMTEHWALRUS 3:52, 13 March 2020 (CST)
The "A murder of crows flies past in the sky." could be a reference to The Sandman comic book series. I'll let others weigh in on their opinions.
Birds of the genus Corvus play a significant role in the series.
One of a few quotes is from the character Cain (Abel's brother,):
CAIN: It's a mystery from which we derive the collective noun we use for these birds. Like a murder of crows, a tiding of magpies, an unkindness of raven... a parliament of rooks.
--DreamTheEndless 23:20, 12 April 2007 (CDT)
- the collective noun for crows is a murder. since there's no other sandman reference this is a coincidence. --Evilkolbot 00:34, 13 April 2007 (CDT)
You're probably right. Still, the only pop culture references I know of of the term are from The sandman comics, the swampthing comics (also from vertigo) and now KOL. It seemed like a possible link...
--DreamTheEndless 11:23, 14 April 2007 (CDT)
It's not a reference to Sandman, the phase "a murder of crows" is common in and out of pop culture. Incubus even has an album referencing it - A Crow Left of the Murder. It's the proper name for a group of crows, not a reference.
--23:50, 13 July 2007 (CDT)
I fought the NS with 13 adventures remaining. She hit me for 13 damage on every single round.
--Vorpallemur 00:27, 13 April 2007 (CDT)
- boy that rng sure does hate everyone equally. --Evilkolbot 00:32, 13 April 2007 (CDT)
Drop Percentage Affected?
- It seems like my drops have gone way up... I am dropping 3 or 4 items at a time from some monsters.
--FireLily 02:39, 13 July 2007 (EST)
- Hatrack without a hat, sniffed out Shady priate, kept using Disco Concentration, very few drops, especially no Safarrri hat :(
--Arashmin 02:23, 13 June 2008 (EST)
- I found that eating fortune cookies appeared not to reveal my semirare counter: I just got 3 random numbers every time. Did anyone else notice this? Is it in fact caused by something else? --Glarbex 14:38, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
- Does anyone know if the black cat does anything special today, perhaps something similar to the owl? --Space turtle 19:14, 13 March 2009 (UTC)
RNG bias today?
Quite possibly just a run of (statistical) bad luck, but I noticed today that I got the minimum possible turns from all seven food items that I ate today. --Kay Dekker 14:52, 13 August 2010 (UTC)
- sounds like pure bad luck - statistically, my consumption results were about average.--Bob452 19:09, 13 August 2010 (UTC)