Talk:Feast of Boris
- Feast of Boris VIII: September 27, 2006 (Boozember 7): This has been confirmed yesterday on KoL Radio. --Woemwoem 03:08, 6 September 2006 (CDT)
Could someone add that the posessed can of cranberry sauce DOES drop the bounty hunter drop "shredded can label"? thx :) --KhayPrower 21:52, 1 April 2009 (UTC)
Ok, how effective are cranberries? They are normally just one filling. Are they two for the feast? Chalky equality can't get more effective, but it could last longer. The only thing I can guess from this page about cranberries is that vodka and cranberry will give me more mysticality than normal. Come on you old timers, fill in some gaps for us before the day gets here. Please. -- Crowther (less than one week a Feast of Boris).
I seem to remember that cranberries gave marginally more adventures, like two extra, or so. I was running, running and running to get my Big Boat trophy, at the time, so I didn't experiment much.--Barnaby36 19:23, 3 Sep 2005 (Central Daylight Time)
Cranberries give 2-4 adventures. The other 2 items modified are Vodka and Cranberry and Pink Pony. I'm not sure what improvement either has - and the V&C has changed significantly since the last Feast of Boris. I did add the special holiday text for the items to the entry. (Chalky Equality is unchanged, I believe.)--Oodleook 20:14, 3 Sep 2005 (Central Daylight Time)
Redrum should have an improvement on the Feast. Should because it wasn't implemented immedialy when someone asked about it on Jick's show this week. --Veistran 10:19, 12 Nov 2005 (MST)
Boris' key lime pie should, too. --NewZorkBat 12:03, 21 February 2006 (Central Standard Time)
- 1 Special Feast Day Adventures Discussion
- 2 Second Time Around
- 3 Muscularity points for a moxious manoeuvre
- 4 No drop for Chronic Indigestion?
- 5 Feast of Boris on the real Thanksgiving date?
- 6 Reference?
- 7 Clover Override
- 8 NS13 tweak?
- 9 Encounter rate data
- 10 New Item Drop?
- 11 April 4 stuffing golem???
- 12 Ze Cranberriez! Zey Do Nozzink!
- 13 Bad Moon Foods?
- 14 Boozember 7 25?/4/2008
- 15 Combat Frequency Mechanic
- 16 Bees Hate You
- 17 FoB fullness with stomach-affecting BM skills
- 18 Avatar of Boris
- 19 Class Act=
- 20 Way of the Surprising Fist
Special Feast Day Adventures Discussion
Location seems irrelevant. I hear from others that the Stuffing Golem appeared in DeGrassi Knoll, and I fought a Possessed Can of Cranberry Sauce in the Thugnderdome. -- Cyferpunk
I'm not too sure - I've only encountered Stuffing Golems in the airship. I'd assume that each area has one Feast adventure monster assigned to it, which comes up randomly (and they're pretty low-level monsters). Additionally, I'd assume the item drop rate on these adventures is really high - I haven't heard of anyone not getting a drop from one. --Hailia 23:52, 12 December 2005 (Central Standard Time)
I've encounterd both the Golem and the Cranberry Sauce while adventuring at the Outskirts of Cobb's Knob. So location seems to be irrelevant as said before. Also, there is the Malevolent Tofurkey that drops a tofurkey leg and tofurkey gravy.--Billlbo 00:21, 13 December 2005 (Central Standard Time)
I've encountered all four at the peak, so far. I really do think that they are totally location independant.--Yiab 00:57, 13 December 2005 (Central Standard Time)
Has anyone tried yet to combine, cook (or smith, supertinker etc) the four components into a whole meal? --NewZorkBat 10:06, 13 December 2005 (Central Standard Time)
I've just spent 339 adventures at the Penultimate Fantasy Airship. Candied Yam Golem (5), Possessed Can (4), Stuffing Golem (3). But no special drop at all. The character I used was level 17 TT, not yet ascended. Equipment: miner's helmet, gnauga hide whip, rice bowl, furry pants, monocle and 2 rabbit feet; 35-pound Baby Gravy Fairy and Phat Loot Lyric. That's +139.5% items drop rate, and +20% more for food. Isn't it weird? --Maerra 13:30, 27 September 2006 (CDT)
Second Time Around
Heads up guys. I can honestly say that the Feast Day Encounters now scale with the character - It takes my alt Luther (at level 19) over 200 damage to drop one, and they yield 61 substat each for him, while my newly-ascended main can scratch at them with a knob goblin scimitar for around eight points and kill them. --Eevle
- Agreed, The monsters are now death on wheels for high level adventurers not prepared for them. Naturally, deleveling skills and items are handy, but this lowers stat gains- however, they always drop their items, no matter what.--Rikmach 05:44, 19 March 2006 (CST)
- Deleveling skills shouldn't lower stat gains, since those are based on initial monster level, not ending monster level.--LoopyChew 02:08, 20 March 2006 (CST)
- Ah, did not know that. However, the point that the monsters always drop their item when killed no matter the circumstances still stands.--Rikmach 23:06, 20 March 2006 (CST)
- Deleveling skills shouldn't lower stat gains, since those are based on initial monster level, not ending monster level.--LoopyChew 02:08, 20 March 2006 (CST)
The page Herbal stuffing was edited by a Inlemur to change the max adventure gain from 20 to 23. In-game, the character with the name "Inlemur" is under the Oppossum sign. Can anyone confirm or deny the gains on this? --LucySpace (Talk|Cntrbs) 01:58, 24 June 2006 (CDT)
Muscularity points for a moxious manoeuvre
Moxious Manoeuvres use Muscularity Points at the feast of boris, apparently.
- Umm, what? Also: sign your posts. --DirkDiggler 19:10, 23 June 2006 (CDT)
No drop for Chronic Indigestion?
I just fought a malevolent tofurkey, which failed to drop anything tasty (sad face). This is, perhaps, because I used chronic indigestion to kill it (screenshot here).--DirkDiggler 19:10, 23 June 2006 (CDT)
It's probably just because the items don't have a 100% drop rate. --Crowther 14:54, 27 September 2006 (CDT)
The Feast of Boris items DO have a 100% drop rate.--Jubbers 19:11, 27 September 2006 (CDT)
By extension, you can't pickpocket from these monsters, tried it multiple times with the message : "You can't steal anything right now". If this is the case, why doesnt that message appear for the barrel, since it drops the item 100% as well?--Argus 03:53, 7 April 2007 (CDT)
Feast of Boris on the real Thanksgiving date?
The topic came up in chat, but does the Feast of Boris happen on the real Thanksgiving Date (fourth thursday of November)? There is talk that it does, but no indication on this page, nore is it listed as past Feast of Boris dates, and Jick was surprised when it came up on his show today.--Grimdel 19:21, November 20 2006 (PST)
Last Thanksgiving was Nov 25, 2004 and there was no Feast of Boris. I have no idea what that means for future Thanksgivings. --Crowther 10:32, 21 November 2006 (CST)
- previous thanksgivings were feasts of boris if they weren't stat days and j&co noticed. being a brit i'm not entirely sure when thanksgiving is this year (third thursday?) but no thursday this month is a stat day, so we may just get two in three weeks. any ideas? --Evilkolbot 12:19, 3 November 2008 (UTC)
- Fourth Thursday, actually. The 27th.--Toffile 17:03, 3 November 2008 (UTC)
I think we can now conclude that the Feast of Boris will occur every November 22, in addition to every Boozember 7. And today's Feast coincides with a Muscle day, so the first entry under Notes should be edited ["The combination of doubled eating capacity and a bonus to stats from adventures is something that the development team likely wanted to avoid"]. --Baltar 08:59, 22 November 2008 (UTC)
- We can't conclude that at all. Knowing the track record of TPTB, most likely someone hardcoded the date "Nov. 22" as a Feast of Boris for last year, and no one ever removed it. --Flargen 09:03, 22 November 2008 (UTC)
"redrum: You drink the redrum, and it reminds you of that one Christmas you spent with your family in that creepy hotel in the mountains."
Is this a reference to The Shining? --Damuna 12:53, 21 March 2007 (CDT)
Is it worth mentioning that FoB monster encounters override ten-leaf clover adventures? Neil Senna 17:15, 7 April 2007 (CDT)
The current notes section reads "The Feast of Boris is not celebrated on its counterpart real-life holiday, Thanksgiving, however its very first celebration was on Thanksgiving, albeit late. This is most likely to avoid a combination of the holiday and a stat day, which would result in obscenely easy 1-day ascensions." Should this be changed in some way to reflect the fact that NS13 basically makes 1-day runs impossible? --CheezyBob 11:23, 16 October 2007 (CDT)
Main page edited to reflect the fact that one-day runs are impossible, but a combo Stat-Feast would still be disproportionately poswerful. --Wildfire393 16:43, 16 October 2007 (CDT)
Encounter rate data
Mons: Turns: rate: 3 60 0.05 17 490 0.034693878 12 409 0.029339853 14 404 0.034653465 12 382 0.031413613 10 312 0.032051282 17 492 0.034552846 22 528 0.041666667 5 122 0.040983607 7 169 0.041420118 8 285 0.028070175 16 467 0.034261242 4 104 0.038461538 9 284 0.031690141 9 159 0.056603774 10 305 0.032786885 14 392 0.035714286 13 407 0.031941032 8 218 0.036697248 ----- ----- ----- 210 5989 0.035064285
I'm calling that close enough to 0.0333 to report it as 1/30. --Hellion 11:54, 19 October 2007 (CDT)
- 1/30 is very different to "on average every 30 turns." i'd say that as with the borachos monsters and/or O Cap'm, My Cap'm it's a much steeper bell curve than a strict 1/30. was your three in sixty turns found one, thirty turns, found one, then another thirty turns before the third by any chance? i can't ever remember seeing two in twenty. is this selective memory on my part? proposition: if it were a strict 1/30 at least one player per feast would see four in a row. i doubt that anyone has ever seen two. i flunked maths, though (the runge kutta algorithm was my high water mark) so perhaps someone more qualified could weigh in. --Evilkolbot 20:46, 3 November 2008 (UTC)
- From the adventures I spent today in the Battlefield (and a few in the junkyard), I observed the following numbers of adventures between each FoB beast: 26, 24, 28, 29, 31, 33, 33, 31, 32, 28, 32, 33 (that is, a Possessed Can of Cranberry Sauce, 26 normal combats, a Stuffing Golem, 24 more combats, another Cranberry Sauce, 28 combats, etc.). --Quietust (t|c) 21:34, 3 November 2008 (UTC)
- All my knowledge, data, and hear-say indicates a minimum of at least 20 adventures between encounters. Quietust's 24 is the smallest interval I've heard of between successive encounter. And the first encounter of the holiday does seem to like occurring earling on (ie, you seem to start the holiday with the "can now encounter a FoB monster" flag set, or something to that effect), so it's possible to start off with, say, 3 monsters in 60 turns. My initial guess would be something like a minimum of 20 adventures, after which a FoB monster has a 10% chance of occurring. But there's not a lot of data behind this. But, yes, this is distinctly different from a generic "1/30 chance". --Flargen 21:46, 3 November 2008 (UTC)
New Item Drop?
Someone Had picked up a new Item from the Cranberry monster.
tube of cranberry Go-Goo
Do you love the great taste of cranberries, but can't fit them into your active, on-the-go lifestyle? Then this is the cranberry delivery system for which you've been waiting! Just snip the top of the tube off and squeeze the cranberry goo directly down your throat. eXtreme!
Selling Price: 40 Meat.
April 4 stuffing golem???
I just fought a stuffing golem on the airship today - april 4. I have a screenshot if necessary, but dont know how to put it here. Is anyone else thinking the day has changed for feast of boris? 影色 --Kageiro 23:56, 21 November 2007 (CST)
- ...Happy American Thanksgiving, Kageiro. It is the 4th Thursday in November, after all. --Ricket 23:59, 21 November 2007 (CST)
Ze Cranberriez! Zey Do Nozzink!
It has been reported that cranberries and cranberry items are failing to give their expected bonuses. Lamentations! Probably a bug. --AltyMcAltAlt 02:41, 22 November 2007 (CST)
- Same issue with no bonuses and only the normal text happened to me on the XIV Feast when consuming both Cranberries and Vodka and cranberry --Wakeofthebounty 05:15, 20 January 2008 (CST)
- I had this issue with drinking Vodkas and Cranberry, as well as with a Redrum (Feast of Boris XIV).--Knobula 13:04, 21 January 2008 (CST)
- This should be fixed, next FoB. --TechSmurf 13:23, 21 January 2008 (CST)
Bad Moon Foods?
I noticed that my Bad Moon character was seeing the new foods, but not my SC character - his drops were the regular Boris foods. Any chance the new foods are Bad Moon Related? --Grimdel 05:35, 22 November 2007 (CST)
- No, no they are not. I've been getting them left and right with my SoftCore character. You're just unlucky.--AltyMcAltAlt 05:38, 22 November 2007 (CST)
- it's more than luck since i've got not a single new item in way too many turns. buffs? equipment? eating cranberries? what's the key? --Evilkolbot 06:51, 22 November 2007 (CST)
It's level. Before I ascended today, I was getting regular feast foods. After I ascended, I was getting the new foods, which have no level requirement. On level 4, I fought a tofurky and got new tofurky foods. Hit level 5, which is the level requirement to eat regular tofurky foods, and fought another tofurky and got regular foods from it. After that, I fought a stuffing golem and got the single-serving herbal stuffing. I'm still not high enough level to eat regular herbal stuffing. Note: I'm not in bad moon, I'm in hardcore no-path, muscle sign. --Dead guys watch 07:00, 22 November 2007 (CST)
I second the level explanation. I have gotten mini-foods only for those where I am not a high enough level to eat the normal ones, in no-path HC moxie sign.
I agree that it looks like it is related to the level requirement of the food drop. I'm lvl6, no-path, seal clubber in Bad Moon and when I killed a Stuffing Golem it gave the new single-serving version, yet a Tofurkey dropped the usual full-sized leg and gravy. - ElGranBastardo
Boozember 7 25?/4/2008
Test: Cranberry, got 3 adventures (assuming its the usual 2-4) Red rum, got 7 (again assuming the increase in adventures) Vodka and Cranberry, got 7 (same again)
Note I had no +adv for booze but I did for food (The Opposum)
Combat Frequency Mechanic
I believe the mechanic is more than just a simple 1/30 encounter rate, it seems to be more related to O Cap'm, My Cap'm or the superlikelies. As a Pastamancer, I spending 30 turns at the Wok of Ages and then adventuring, and the Feast of Boris adventure would always occur within 1-5 turns for each of the 8 times I tried this. Thus, I'm wondering if the FoB adventures have a chance of occurrence that increases with each adventure, maxes out around 30-35 adventures, and resets to 0 when one occurs.
I'm also wondering if the FoB adventures only replace combats (e.g. do they occur in the Limerick Dungeon?), but I don't have enough turns left this time around to experiment with this. Maybe next KoL year!--Ahamster 20:17, 30 July 2008 (CDT)
If you check the second paragraph of the article itself, it does say that non-combat areas can give the adventures.-Bobtheadventurer 21:06, 30 July 2008 (CDT)
Ah, reading more carefully would help. Serves me right for trying to do this with just a couple of hours 'till rollover. --Ahamster 21:25, 30 July 2008 (CDT)
The El Dia de Los Muertos Borrachos page states "Like on the Feast of Boris, special encounters occur once every 25-35 adventures and can be encountered while in a Drunken Stupor." I'm guessing that's the mechanism used here. -Ryo Sangnoir 02:23, 31 July 2008 (CDT)
It seems the special feast of boris adventures can also override the Welcome Back! adventure. I already updated the wiki page for the feast of boris (in the notes section). However ive been only doing birdform journeys. Would be nice to double check other. --Lajcik 17:42, 26 November 2009 (UTC)
Bees Hate You
no extra fullness today. I'm at 14 fullness and can't eat a 3 fullness item (lemon meringue pie). Pthalo 06:26, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
None extra for me too. I must say that I am in ronin. Monster encounters are appearing as usual. --Ivazler 06:56, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
Adding the information that my multies and I, who had no extra fullness but did get the holiday encounters as usual, are all in hardcore.--18:45, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
- Hmm...I wonder, since this got a special message, is there a special Bees Hate You message/effect for Labor Day, El Dia De Los Muertos Borrachos, or the Festival of Jarlsberg? --Jimfromtx 08:26, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
FoB fullness with stomach-affecting BM skills
I have both pride and gluttony, for a net +1 fullness, but if I counted correctly I only had 30 fullness today (so no +15 fullness but rather a rounding up to 30). Did people in my situation see the same thing, and did people with only pride get 29 or 30? --Groli 16:11, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
Avatar of Boris
I just realized that I only get the food for lower levels even though I am at lvl 7. Is this the same for all special paths or is it specific for AoB. I'm in HC if that matters. --Christog 11:44, 4 April 2012 (CEST)
- Looks that way, even in normal boris runs. Just got Yam Candy at level 11. Also, you can't choose which monsters you get by banishing -- "You shout and shout, and eventually resort to letting it all out, but this foe refuses to yield."--Hastifer 14:59, 4 April 2012 (CEST)
Got a cute message, but don't know if it's just because I'm a Disco Bandit. Can anyone confirm? User:layma_vespera 2:37, 17 January 2013 (CST)