Some spading here. I believe that a Critical Hit with a spell multiplies the spell by 2, before bonuses are added on. That is to say, I think that it looks something like:
- (Crit*(spell_formula)+Bonus_Absolute_Spell_Damage)*(1 + Bonus_Percent_Spell_Damage).
Where Crit=1 for a non-critical strike, and Crit=2 for a critical strike.
To put some actual numbers to this. These tests are all using Conjure Relaxing Campfire. The damage formula for that spell is: (10-20) + (Myst/10), and it is an uncapped spell. I had 2969 Myst for these tests.
With +25% spell damage and +13 spell damage:
- If the absolute bonuses are included in the critical, the observed range for a critical strike would be: 2*(rand(10,20)+(2969/10)+13)*1.25 = 799-824
- If the absolute bonuses are not included in the critical, the observed range for a critical strike would be: (2*(rand(10,20)+(2969/20))+13)*1.25 = 783-808
I observed a 792 damage critical with +25% spell damage and +13 spell damage. Leading me to believe that the critical strike formula for spells does not include the bonuses in the critical hit, as reflected in the formula above. --MindlessGames 11:20, 15 November 2009 (UTC)
It appears per wiki data that clockwork crossbow may be the only weapon that will fire its on-critical effect from the offhand? I've definitely seen that from using the rusty speargun and the 7-inch discus; I'm leery of outright editing the actual page, as I am a weenie, but seems like it might be good info to add to the main article. Will do so in a few days once I get over the weenie part. --Laerjael 05:50, 10 February 2010 (UTC)
It looks like critical hits set monster defense to 0. I was attacking some shield-generator monsters dealing 20 damage per normal hit, 4-5k per crit.--BlanketThief 09:15, 1 May 2012 (CEST)
- Are you in Avatar of Boris right now? Do you have Legendary Luck? If so, you may have just spaded it. --Melon 19:35, 1 May 2012 (CEST)
- Aftercore on a multi, hasn't ascended since long before challenge paths came out. --BlanketThief 08:33, 5 May 2012 (CEST)