Talk:Bag o' Tricks
I think it's a reference to the Shel Silverstein poem "What's in the sack?" --Necrogetti 23:46, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
I think that the "What's in the bag? What's in the bag?" part of the description might be a reference to Se7en. I'm thinking of the end of the movie, when Brad Pitt's character keeps asking "What's in the box?" I'm not sure though, so I didn't want to just put it on the page, consider how there's not really much else there at the moment. --Olaf the Hungry 04:28, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
"You open the Bag o' Tricks, and there is a sudden explosion of sounds, colors, and random flying objects. After it's all over, you're left with absolutely no idea what just happened."
You acquire and effect <effect> (duration: 3 Adventures) You acquire and effect <effect> (duration: 3 Adventures) ...
(I got one of each of my active effects) This was as a Level 8 SC, in Hardcore, with stats 100/57, 52/47, 61/41. Interesting equipment: Stainless skullcap, bonerdagon necklace, Hammer of Smiting, badass belt, lucky rabbit's foot. Rock and Roll Legend in my inventory, 25lb Bandersnatch as familiar -- Kalon999 04:51, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
(It increased only 5 of my active effects with the least number of turns left) This was as a Level 19 TT . Nothing particularly special in the equipment part.
- Definitely 3 aditional turns of 5 currently active effects; it wasn't my 5 lowest-turn effects at all though. In fact, which 5 seems to have been completely random, which is a bit less useful than I'd hoped.--Salien 07:38, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
Are there any effects which the Bag Of Tricks cannot increase the duration of or effects that are capped at a certain duration, only up to which the Bag Of Tricks can increase? Misstrain 03:18, 19 July 2009 (UTC)
- only got one extra adventure of The Ballad of Richie Thingfinder when used--Ganomex 5:37am, 30 July 2009 (UTC)
- Only +1 Adventure of Chorale of Companionship --BlanketThief 21:53, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
- update its just a wording bug it says 1 but gives 3 --Ganomex 9:54am, 2 august 2009 (UTC)
When opened again
"You open up the Bag o' Tricks, and a single moth flies out. Looks like you'll have to wait until tomorrow before you can do all that crazy stuff again." ... and no other effects. -- Kalon999 04:53, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
This thing is sweet for any player that prefers to play caster classes and would probably be on the wish list of any player that has thus far perm'd Spirit of Rigatoni ... its baseline bonuses are impressive on their own -- MP regen, meat/item drop boost, spell damage boost, and grants a limited use combat skill ... it takes a few rounds worth of combat to charge up the `Open the Bag of Tricks` attack -- the attack is 0 MP, stuns the monster for 1 turn, and either grants you a 20 turn duration effect or summons an animal to attack your monster for a small amount of damage ... damage ranges from 20 to 80 HP so far, so its not immense, but that's alright for a 0 MP attack skill ... so far, have gotten the following effects (will edit as I acquire more) ... -- AvangionQ / July 1st, 2009 Chihuahua Underfoot ... 20 turns of +20 ML ...
I cannot seem to acquire any effect when using in combat, aside from the Chihuahua Underfoot or a damaging attack ranging from 20 to 80 HP ... are there other animals that come out of the bag that grant status effects? -- AvangionQ / July 6th, 2009
I got +3 turns for my MOM effect and telescope, starry eyes effect, but it didn't increase my VIP pool table buff. But yes, 3 turns seems accurate.--EvilBear 05:15, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
I've yet to get an effect from combat use. I use it on turn 1 and get only 7 damage average, at level 8 TT in Softcore.
I got 3 turns of 5 effects as well, including pool table ones. --Kingdomsora 10:37, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
Used in Combat
Instead of opening from my inventory, I used it in combat: Open Bag o' Tricks (0 Muscularity Points):
You reach into the bag and pull out a single fat bumblebee. It lazily flies over to your opponent and stings it for 6 damage
Was fighting a Killer clownfish.--SeiferTim 13:03, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
Clan member used it in combat at the Giant Castle in The Sky and summoned a badger. It gave him the effect Badger Underfoot (don't quote me on that name) for 20 adventures. +20% to meat from Monsters. --AnyLameName 15:57, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
It seems to give a message when casting Entangling Noodles - does it extend the duration? Aelfinn 16:30, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
Refer to the skill page. Myst spells and myst-based skills appear to "charge" up the bag of tricks, for lack of a better term.--Foggy 18:04, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
- Clearly the most direct reference is the "bag of tricks" owned by felix the cat. This should be added to the references.
- Most direct as in direct to the original source, skipping intermediary references, or most direct as in the reference most directly connected to KoL?
- The Bag of Tricks appeared in D&D and then in NetHack, as a Bag of Tricks. As with other items such as Vorpal_blade, the appearance in Nethack may have been the most recent in the sequence of references.
Riley37 22:56, 18 January 2011 (UTC)
- References here are ones officially explained and ones that would be immediately obvious to someone familiar with the original. I'm not sure the Felix reference works. Your history line ("The Bag of Tricks appeared in...") looks good, except that you should use spaces and not underscores in wiki links (vorpal blade not vorpal_blade). --Club (#66669) (Talk) 03:50, 19 January 2011 (UTC)