Take a Look, it's in a Book! (Fall)
As you're wandering through the Spookyraven Library, you notice a shelf full of particularly interesting books.
Which one would you like to peruse?
|Read "The Fall of the House of Spookyraven"|
|History is Fun! (The Fall of the House of Spookyraven)|
|Read "To Serve Man... Delicious Cocktails"|
You flip through the bartending guide. Interesting....
It says here that if you mix
- first ingredient
- second ingredient
that you'll get
- resulting item
Huh. You'll have to try that one sometime.
|Read "Ancient Forbidden Unspeakable Yoga, a Beginner's Guide"|
You read the book of Ancient Forbidden Unspeakable Yoga, and try out a few of the positions. They provide a surprisingly good workout, but a few of them put your head places man was not meant to see.
|You gain <mainstat>±4 in Strongness, capped at 75 Beefiness.|
|You lose 10-15 hit points. (spooky damage)|
|Read the dictionary|
You start reading the dictionary, but you only get up to 'abacus' before you get bored, and decide to just take the dictionary with you instead.
|You acquire an item: dictionary|
|Reading is for losers. I'm outta here.|
You're afraid of literature, apparently, so you bail.
Occurs in The Haunted Library.
- The cocktail book shows the ingredients and result of a random cocktailcrafting recipe. Recipes that require advanced skills will not appear.
- Recipes learned here are added to your discoveries page with a message:
- Congratulations! You just discovered a new recipe!
- Once the dictionary is picked up, the option no longer appears.
- Leaving does not consume an adventure, and banishes the noncombat from the zone for 10 turns.
- On May 15th, 2014 Spookyraven Manor was revamped, and this adventure was changed from Choice Adventure #81 to Choice Adventure #889.
- Previously, clicking the third book from the left on the top of the book shelf opened a replacement staircase which allowed you to go up to the top floor of the manor.
- Upon clicking the book it gave this message:
- You try to pull one of the books off of the shelf, but it only comes out halfway, because it's apparently connected to some sort of secret switch. You hear a rumbling from out in the hallway, so you run to investigate.
- If you broken the stairs:
- You look toward the source of the rumbling, and see a sturdy-looking reinforced metal staircase descending from the ceiling to replace the ruined stairs. The Spookyraven family must've had that installed as a backup in case of catastrophic stairway failure. Lucky you!
- If you hadn't broke the stairs:
- You look toward the source of the rumbling, and see a sturdy-looking reinforced metal staircase descending from the ceiling, crushing the existing wooden staircase. Curious.
- Clicking the book a second time will used to give this message:
- You're very clever and all, but that trick only works once. The secret staircase has already been revealed.
- On January 7, 2019, the 'Read the dictionary' option was added, in response to the removal of the abridged dictionary from Barrrtleby's Barrrgain Books on December 31, 2018.
- "Take a Look, it's in a Book!" is a reference to the popular PBS kids show, Reading Rainbow. It is a line from the theme song.
- The Fall of the House of Spookyraven is likely a reference to the short story The Fall of the House of Usher, by Edgar Allan Poe. Together with The Rise of the House of Spookyraven, the two titles may also be a reference to The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.
- "Particularly interesting books" and the ability to learn a recipe is likely a reference to Dragon Quest VIII, in which you can sometimes learn alchemy recipes by reading from bookshelves you come across. (Some bookshelves weren't readable - the message when you examined one of these was "None of these books appear particularly interesting.")
- The book titled "To Serve Man... Delicious Cocktails" is a reference to the short story To Serve Man, in which a seemingly friendly alien race leaves a book on earth titled "To Serve Man", only for it to be discovered that it is actually a cookbook. There is also a Twilight Zone episode with the same plot.