Strange Mental Acuity
Your mind races with awareness. Awareness wins, but it's very, very close.
- Dungeons of Doom potion (10 Adventures)
- Allows you to see your enemies instead of darkness when fighting while afflicted with Temporary Blindness. It did not allow you to spend adventures in The LAAAAME Observatory though.
- This does not counter the darkness caused by Helps-You-Sleep.
- Before The Naughty Sorceress' Tower was revamped, there was a chance for this to be required to open one of The 3 Gates.
- In NetHack, eating a floating eye corpse results in gaining telepathy, with the message "You feel a strange mental acuity".
- This skill allows a NetHack character to sense the locations of, and identify, all sentient life forms around him... but only if he has been blinded, blindfolded, or his vision has been otherwise impeded. Thus, a blind character with telepathy can fight almost like a sighted one.
- This skill may reference Frank Herbert's Dune Messiah, in which Paul Muad'Dib is still able to see after he is blinded due to his own sort of mental acuity.