During combat, any successful hit will be followed by a string of Batman-like sound effects. They can include:
You hit the Monster
The Monster hits you
- The number of sound effects is equal to the square root of the base damage inflicted, rounded up, to a maximum of 10.
- Creatures that deal cold damage will have their attack messages appended with Brrrrrrrrr.. The same formula for the number of sound effects is used, with additional "rr"s being added instead.
- If you have the Cybernetic Muscles effect, the sounds effect will be replaced by ch-ch-ch-ch-ch.
- If the clown hammer is equipped, the only sound effect used will be SQUEAK!
- If Maxwell's Silver Hammer is equipped, the only sound effect used will be BANG BANG! (always in pairs)
- If the Rain-Doh yellow laser gun is equipped, the only sound effect used will be PEW!
- If you're wielding the heavy metal thunderrr guitarrr, the sound effects used are SKREEDLY, WEEDLY and SKREEEOW.
- If you're wielding a stuffed club, the sound effects used are CUDDLE!, FRIENDSHIP! and HUGGLE!.
- If you're wielding a plastic guitar, the sound effects are replaced with CLICK CLICK CLICK, with an occasional CLICKITY.
- If you're weilding an airblaster gun, the sound effects are replaced with WHOOSH!, PUFF!, and WHIFF!.
- If you're fighting a monster modified to be American, the sound effects are replaced with AMERICA!, APPLE PIE!, EAGLE!, HOME OF THE BRAVE!, INCOME INEQUALITY!, LAND OF THE FREE!, MOM!, and SYSTEMIC RACISM!
- If you're fighting a monster modified to be Australian, the sound effects are replaced with BILLABONG!, CRIKEY!, G'DAY!, JUMBUCK!, KOOKABURRA!, OY!, and TUCKERBAG!.
- If you're fighting a monster modified to be quacking, the sound effects are replaced with QUACK!.
- Most of the sound effects are a reference to the 1960 Batman TV series, where the fight scenes were accompanied with comic-style captions, such as "WHAM!" and "POW!," that would appear on screen in time with the action.
- "BARF!" may be a reference to River City Ransom for the NES, where your enemies would sometimes yell "BARF!" when defeated.
- "SOCKO!" may be a reference to Mick Foley's wrestling character Mankind, where he used a sock he called "Socko" on his opponents.
- "ZOT!" may be a reference to the Scott McCloud comic of the same name. It may also be a reference to the Internet Oracle.