"SR" redirects here. Did you mean Sauceror?
|This content has been retired and is no longer available in game.
Note: As of 1 January 2022, Semi-Rare adventures have been consolidated with Clover Adventures into a new system that relies on being Lucky!. Refer to the new Lucky Adventures page for more information on these combined adventures.
Semi-rare adventures were special adventures that provide unique rewards or allow the player to fight rare monsters. Like Clover Adventures, they only existed in some zones.
Each player has a semi-rare counter which is (usually) set to a specific turn count. When that number of turns has been played in the current ascension, the player will have a semi-rare adventure, if the player is adventuring in a zone that has one and the player did not receive that same semi-rare adventure on his most recent successful semi-rare opportunity. The semi-rare will simply be missed if the player spends that turn anywhere other than in a zone that has a semi-rare adventure.
A semi-rare cannot naturally be obtained from the same location twice in a row. In order to obtain a particular semi-rare more than once, a different one must be obtained in between. This resets on ascension. However, use of the "Sunday - Surprise Me!" pill from the Eight Days a Week Pill Keeper does allow players to chain as many of the same SR together as their spleen can take. Other SR-generating items/effects may work similarly.
The very first semi-rare that is available in any run will occur after 70-80 turns have been played in the run. Each time the semi-rare counter is set following a semi-rare adventure opportunity, it will be set to a number 160-200 higher than the current turns played (or 100-120, if the run is an Oxygenarian run). See Notes for details.
Exposing The Counter
The semi-rare counter can be exposed by eating a fortune cookie -- one of the three "lucky numbers" given by each fortune will be the difference between the current turns played and the semi-rare counter value. The other two numbers are apparently random, in the range 1-299. To determine which of the three numbers is the correct one, the player might eat two cookies and look for matching numbers, though an observant player can often deduce the correct number if the other numbers fall outside the expected range. If the player's semi-rare counter is equal to the current turns played (i.e. his/her next adventure click will cause the SR adventure to occur), all three lucky numbers will be random.
Semi-rare adventures are obtainable without eating fortune cookies -- the cookies merely reveal the semi-rare counter, as opposed to setting it. The power of fortune cookies thus lies in pinpointing the exact time a semi-rare will take place (or in the worst case, narrowing it down to 3 possible turn counts).
Players with access to a Clan VIP Lounge with a Speakeasy installed may imbibe a Lucky Lindy for 500 meat (if someone has found the right password). You will burp out your current semi-rare counter. If the burped number is greater than 200, your semi-rare will be due up on your next adventure.
Eating an optimal dog sets the semi-rare counter to the current turns played. That is, the next adventure played will be a semi-rare adventure, as long as the requirements are met.
Eight Days a Week Pill Keeper
Sunday's Surprise Me has the same effect as eating an optimal dog, with the added benefit that it forgets your previous semi-rare, meaning that the 'A semi-rare cannot be obtained from the same location twice in a row' condition won't matter.
Table of Semi-Rare Adventures
- The semi-rare counter is automatically reset by adventure.php after you receive each semi-rare.
- The fortune cookie numbers may be indeterminate after a player has been in adventure.php if the semi-rare counter is equal to the current turns played (meaning the very next adventure is a semi-rare); a fortune cookie will never display "0" as one of its numbers.
- If a semi-rare adventure has been skipped, and the player has not been in adventure.php (for example, spending turns in Fernswarthy's Basement, the Naughty Sorceress's Lair, or crafting), then the semi-rare counter has not been set, and fortune cookies will show invalid (random) numbers.
- Semi-rares will be overridden by adventuring while falling-down drunk, as you are redirected to the Drunken Stupor zone.
- Semi-rares can also be overridden by Clover Adventures and Bad Moon adventures, but not Feast of Boris and El Dia de Los Muertos Borrachos encounters, as of an update in July 2009. They also cannot be overridden by superlikelies. See Encounter for more information about adventure precedence.
- Violet Fog flashbacks will override your semi-rare. It is not known whether choosing to escape from the fog rather than pursue it to the end will give a second chance at the semi-rare, although it is postulated that it should.
- Oxygenarians have a semi-rare counter range of 100-120 adventures. This shorter interval will be used until they break the prism or drop the path; once path restrictions have been lifted, the next semi-rare interval will revert to the normal 160-200 adventures.
- Dropping an Oxygenarian path from the account menu will automatically re-roll your semi-rare to the 160-200 range.
- Escaping combat using tattered scraps or similar items which don't cost adventures does not increment your turn count, and therefore can be used to recover from a mis-click. This can be helpful if you know you should be getting a semi-rare adventure but go to the wrong zone by mistake. However, if the semi-rare is a combat adventure, like the Knob Goblin Elite Guard Captain, you cannot use a free runaway from him to get the Bad ASCII Art on that same adventure. This is to prevent possible exploitation.
- If you are adventuring underwater without the Fishy effect, then the semi-rare adventure will only be encountered if the adventure starts with the counter at zero. If you are due to get a semi-rare on the second adventure then it will be skipped.
- If you encounter The Haggling without Fishy, then you will gain 50 turns of the Fishy effect after two adventures have been consumed.
- Teleportitis will not override your semi-rare adventure; it will only take you to a random zone, and if that zone has a semi-rare, you get that semi-rare.
- Spending a turn normally but gaining back a free turn via a V for Vivala mask or a Temporal Riftlet does increase your turn counter, and therefore does bring you closer to your semi-rare turn, even though your "turns left" counter does not decrease.
- Semi-rare adventures after the first (in a run) are distributed triangularly around their center value. In the case of all semi-rares after the first one, the counter is set to 180 + rand(0,20) - rand(0,20) for non-oxygenarian runs and 110 + rand(0,10) - rand(0,10) for oxygenarian runs, meaning that the values closer to 180 or 110 are much more likely than the values closer to the ends of the range. However, the first semi-rare is distributed uniformly; the counter is set to 70 + rand(0,10).