Quantum Terrarium is the Summer 2021 special challenge path, introduced on May 15th, 2021. This path adds variant rules and restrictions to an ascension run. Its description in The Bureau of Reincarnation reads, "A quantum event has collapsed all of the Kingdom's Terraria into one!"
- Your run begins with an introduction by Dr. Gordon Stuart, a Scientist in the Quantum Terrarium.
- The Quantum Terrarium replaces the Familiar-Gro™ Terrarium at your Campground.
- Your familiar will be randomly assigned from the pool of familiars from all players. Its name will be the same as the name given by the donating player.
- The familiar type is assigned first and the familiar name is assigned second, meaning that all familiars are equally likely of being assigned.
- Familiars change every 11 adventures. This is quite frankly ridiculous, and not even funny.
- The change occurs at the start of a fight with the text: The quantum waveform of your terrarium has coalesced into the form of <source playername>'s <familiar type>.
- Using the Q.F.I.D.M.A. at the Quantum Terrarium, you can choose your next assigned familiar, keeping the same next-familiar-time as the current setting. Once used there is a cooling off period of 111 adventures before you can use it again.
- You can only use each familiar once, biased or otherwise, until each familiar has been used. Afterward the cycle begins anew.
- The following familiars are not available:
- You cannot adventure without a familiar.
- Generic familiar equipment (appears to) functions as normal.
- Familiars drop their usual items after combat.
- It is possible to compete in The Cake-Shaped Arena, prizes are given out as normal.
- All items sourced from a familiar that would be restricted by Standard are now allowed, including pulls, even if that familiar is not your current familiar.
- All familiars gain a passive weight bonus of 2*Your Level, capped at level 10 (+20 pounds).
Each normal (softcore) Quantum Terrarium ascension decreases the initial Q.F.I.D.M.A. cooling off period by 3 adventures. Each hardcore Quantum Terrarium ascension decreases the initial Q.F.I.D.M.A. cooling off period by 6 adventures. The minimum cooling off period is 78 adventures (at 11 ascension "points").
Strategy will ostensibly be the same as for a pathless run.
Familiar strategy will likely revolve around:
- Maximising combats with familiars who drop desired items.
- Minimizing for familiars who offer no value.
- It may be profitable to request certain familiars at certain times, i.e. Gelatinous Cubeling early on for dungeon gear, Melodramedary for the desert, Stooper for the end of a day, Oily Woim for an initiative boost and so on.
- Notably, items dropped by familiars are *not* subject to Standard restrictions. For example, adventure-granting Spleen items such as Powdered gold or Unconscious Collective Dream Jar can be used to gain adventures and substats. This source of turn generation is not normally available in a pathless run.
- Finishing a Quantum Terrarium run while it is the current special challenge path -- between May 15th, 2021, and August 15th, 2021 -- gives players 50 (in Normal) or 100 (in Hardcore) extra karma points the next time they visit Valhalla.
- Finishing a Quantum Terrarium run also gives a quantum of familiar.
- Players will receive a Thwaitgold quantum bug statuette upon defeating the Naughty Sorceress.
- Players in Hardcore gain the stainless steel equipment for their class.
- Ending the challenge path either by completion or drop will reset the familiar experience of all familiars, and no familiar experience accumulated during the Quantum Terrarium run is kept.
|Special Challenge Paths|