Puttin' on the Wax
You return to the fireplace and poke around for a bit, but you don't find anything interesting, at least until you accidentally knock over the bust of Mozart, which turns out to have a little chain running from the bottom of it down through a hole in the mantlepiece. When you tug on it, there's a loud clunk and the fireplace rotates ninety degrees, creating a passageway into a hidden room.
You duck through, and find that it's not really much more than a large closet; there's an antique (but high-quality) gramophone, which has been wired up to some hidden speakers in the walls. I guess the bandits like to pipe in some music on those evenings of relaxation.
On closer examination, it turns out the gramophone is even nicer than you thought -- it's got an etching cartridge you can replace the regular needle with, so you can record your own albums. And in fact, there's a large stack of blank wax disks sitting nearby. Convenient!
If you're going to record something, though, you figure it had better be one of your best numbers. This isn't an opportunity you can waste on something like Cletus's Canticle of Celerity.
- You record a wonderful rendition of <buff>.
- When not selecting a song:
- You need to pick a song! The Sound of Silence isn't in your repertoire.
- When you don't have enough MP to cast the buff X times:
- You don't have the Y MP needed to play <buff> X times.
Anyway, other than that, you didn't find anything interesting at the fireplace.
Occurs as a result in The Island Barracks by examining the fireplace in the Parlour after defeating your nemesis.
- Allows you to record Accordion Thief songs with limited casts into recordings. All records last 20 adventures, regardless of the accordion you have in your inventory or have equipped.
- Each recording created uses up one of the casts per day that you may perform with that buff. So for example, with Donho's, you are given 50 casts per day, you may make 50 recordings, or cast it 50 times, or do some combination of those two adding up to at most 50 per day.
- Accessing this location and recording songs does not consume an adventure.
- If you run out of MP, you will have to leave this location and return, since you can not restore MP while stuck in a choice adventure (of which this is one.)
- The buffs listed above, with the exception of Donho's Bubbly Ballad and Inigo's Incantation of Inspiration, are only obtainable from Hobopolis bosses. Alternatively, the skill books can be found in the Mall.
- One needs to be level 15 to record songs that require a target to be level 15. This currently applies to the Hobopolis songs.
- Recording 7 different songs in a single day will earn you the Septuple Platinum trophy.