Picky is the Winter 2014 special challenge path, introduced on November 15, 2014. This path adds variant rules and restrictions to an ascension run. Its description in The Bureau of Reincarnation reads, "You can only take 3 familiars and 11 permed skills with you — pick wisely! (Familiar hatchlings and skill granting items may not be used.)"
As soon as you are reincarnated, you are forced into a noncombat choice adventure in which you may select up to 3 familiars and up to 11 skills that you have permed. Once this choice is made, any familiars or skills you did not choose will be unavailable until you break the Prism.
- You cannot use familiar hatchlings.
- You cannot use items that grant a skill when used, but you can buy skills from the Guild Trainer and other NPCs, or acquire skills from food and booze normally.
- You will not start with your class's level 0 skills; you will have only the skills you select, plus Your Mystical Bookshelf and whatever you can acquire in-run.
- Attempting to use a familiar hatchling gives the message:
- You are too picky to pick another familiar.
- The Buddy Bjorn can only hold one of the three familiars from your Terrarium.
- The Feast of Boris does not grant additional fullness:
Today is the Feast of Boris. You're way too picky to eat weird holiday food...
- Standard restrictions applied while Picky was the current challenge path. These restrictions were lifted on February 15, 2015.
At this point there are no known divergences to standard play.
For suggestions, please see Picky/Strategy.
- You may visit The Sea in Picky.
- Your Mystical Bookshelf works without penalty (within the standard restrictions).
- You may purchase skills through your guild.
- You will not by default start with any of your zero-level class skills (and there is no way to acquire them, other than to select them as part of your starting 11).
- You may drink a steel margarita to acquire Liver of Steel.
- You may purchase skills from Fragnk, the Regnaissance Gnome (under appropriate signs).
- You may learn CLEESH from the strange leaflet.
- You may learn Torso Awaregness from Melvign.
- Until November 16, 2014 at 04:52:29 PM EST, the Star Starfish was still required in the Lair.
- At some point midday on November 20, 2014, the Feast of Boris message was changed from:
- You're way to picky to celebrate..
- Prior to the The Naughty Sorceress' Tower revamp on January 1, 2015, the star starfish was not required in the Lair. You still needed Richard's star key, a star hat and a two-handed star weapon, but you could use any familiar, or you could do it without a familiar:
- With no familiar:
- You can see the sheet music, but you can't get to it through the storm of stars and lines whirling around the pedestal. crawls toward the pedestal, picks it up, and brings it back to you.
- With no familiar:
- Completing a Picky run will earn a Thwaitgold nit statuette.
- Completing a Picky run while it was the current challenge path (November 15, 2014 to February 14, 2015) earned picky tweezers.
|Special Challenge Paths|