You're concentrating so intently on your navel that you've forgotten pretty much everything else. Like... how to not levitate, and how to not be surrounded by a shimmering, pyramid-shaped field of mystical energy. It's weird.
Damage Reduction: X
- During combat:
- After combat:
|You gain 10-20 Mana Points.|
- While running away:
- After a certain number of runaway attempts:
- Wearing a navel ring of navel gazing (intrinsic effect) (obsolete)
- This effect is no longer granted by the navel ring of navel gazing, it is now just part of the effect of the item itself.
- The damage reduction is equal to your level.
- In addition to the stated effect, it also has the following effects:
- Prevents enemy attacks 50% of the time, including many attacks that you normally couldn't evade, like the gremlins and your shadow.
- At the end of combat, may provide one randomly chosen benefit (85% chance of one occurring):
- +20% Meat
- +20% items
- +3 stats
- 10-20 MP
- Allows you to Run Away 100% of the time. The first three attempts in a day to run away will not use an adventure. The odds of further run-aways not using an adventure decreases by 10% for each successful free run-away, to a minimum of a 20% chance of not using an adventure ("quickly floating" does not consume an adventure) on the 11th+ success. So for instance, if you've had 4 free runaways so far, the odds of another attempt being free is 80%. If that attempt fails your odds remain at 80% for future attempts; only free runaways lower your odds.
- "Omphaloskepsis" means "navel-gazing." The prefix omphalo-, meaning "navel," may also refer to a stone artifact.
- Many of the effects are based on the pseudoscience pyramidology, including pyramid power's supposed ability to sharpen blades.
- "To forget how to not levitate" could be a reference to the novel Life, the Universe and Everything, where if you throw yourself at the ground and get so distracted that you miss the ground, you end up flying.
- The third eye is believed, in Eastern mysticism and by hippies everywhere, to have a great many imaginary powers.
- The design of the icon is very reminiscent of the Eye of Providence