The L33t Tr4pz0r
After reaching level 8, The Council of Loathing will send you to aid the L33t Tr4pz0r of Mt. McLargeHuge in The Big Mountains.
On initial visit:
- Adventurer! We've received an urgent letter from the L337 Tr4pz0r, requesting our assistance. We're, like, really busy right now, so we were hoping you could go out to his place and see what he wants.
He lives at the base of Mt. McLargeHuge, the tallest of the Big Mountains. We'll mark it on your map for you.
On subsequent visits:
- You still have unfinished business with the L337 Tr4pz0r, Adventurer.
On initial visit:
- You enter the cabin and find the Tr4pz0r sitting at a table in a bare room.
- Upon seeing you, he leaps from his chair with a gleam in his eye.
- "You must be the one the Council sent to help me. Yee, haw!
- As you've probably already reckoned, I'm the L337 Tr4pz0r. I live 'round these parts, and I make my living tradin' furs.
- Or, maybe I oughtta say I used to make my living that way. The way up to the Icy Peak, where I do most of my huntin', has been blocked by all manner of ornery critters, and I need your help opening the way again."
- "The first step, Adventurer, is to get me the materials to make us some weapons. I reckon 3 chunks of [asbestos/chrome/linoleum] ore oughta do the trick. You can find some over at Itznotyerzitz Mine, on the other side of the mountain. I reckon the Dwarves over there won't take too kindly to you just bargin' in and stealin' their ore, so you'll have to figure out some way to disguise yerself before you can get in deep enough to find any."
Before retrieving the ore:
- "The first step, Adventurer, is to get me the materials to make us some weapons. I reckon 3 chunks of [asbestos/chrome/linoleum] ore oughta do the trick. You can find some over at Itznotyerzitz Mine, on the other side of the mountain. I reckon the Dwarves over there won't take too kindly to you just bargin' in and stealin' their ore, so you'll have to figure out some way to disguise yerself before you can get in deep enough to find any".
After retrieving the ore:
- "Hey, fantastic! Let me see that ore, and I'll make us some weapons. Be right back."
- He walks out the back door of the cabin, and you hear some clanging sounds.
- A few minutes later, the Tr4pz0r walks back into the cabin with an armload of weapons.
- "Here ya go, Adventurer. Thanks for the help."
- "The next step is to get us some provisions for the trip up the peak. I've got a hankerin' for goat cheese pizzas, so that's what we'll pack. There's a pass over yonder where you can find some goats. Bring me back 6 chunks of goat cheese, and I'll cook us up some pizzas."
Before collecting enough cheese:
- You got X hunk(s) of cheese there, but I'm gonna need 6.
After collecting enough cheese:
- "Yee, haw, Adventurer! That goat cheese looks mighty good. Lemme cook it up, and we'll be ready to head up to the Peak."
- You sit around for a while watching the Tr4pz0r cook some pizzas. When he's done, he hands you your share.
- "Well, Adventurer, we're almost ready to head up to the Peak. I reckon you'll need some kind of protection from the cold, though.
- If you can't find some magical way to do it, you can probably get some warm clothes from those crazy kids up on the eXtreme Slope.
- I'd recommend steering clear of those Ninja Snowmen, though. They're pretty fierce."
Before acquiring cold resistance:
After acquiring cold resistance:
- "Great -- it looks like you're all set for some cold weather. Let's head on up there, shall we?"
- You accompany the Tr4pz0r to the Icy Peak, where he teaches you the ins and outs of Yeti hunting. You come back with a sizable haul of furs and Meat, which you divide up.
|You gain 5,000 Meat.|
- As you turn to leave, the Tr4pz0r says "Thanks for yer help, Adventurer. If'n you ever feel like tradin' them furs for some different furs, you just come on back."
- The furs you divide up between yourself and the Tr4pz0r, the Meat you divide up between the Tr4pz0r and the needy.
- The subtitle "Am I my Trapper's Keeper?" is a combination of two references:
- A well-known line in the Bible from the story of Cain and Abel: "And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?" (Genesis 4:9, KJV)
- The Trapper Keeper, a brand-name notebook binder produced by Mead featuring a foldover velcro closure, popular with school-age students during the 1980s
- The name "Mt. McLargeHuge" is a reference to the "Space Mutiny" episode of the popular comedy show Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K), wherein the wisecracking bots come up with dozens of silly names for the musclebound protagonist, including "Big McLargeHuge".