|Locations||The Dungeons of Doom: Ouch! You bump into a door!|
You drop your 5,000 meat at Izchak's feet, and go to pick up your cloak (or whatever it is.[sic])
Wait, that's a mimic!
The mimic rises into the air and lands on your foot, hard. Oof! Ow!
The mimic pantomimes your actions. You feel the sting of embarrassment. Ooh! Eek! Ugh!
The mimic picks up a nearby question mark and reads it. A swarm of killer bees appears and stings you repeatedly in the <arm> and <kidney>. Oof! Argh! Ooh!
The mimic tries to close its lid on you, but you deftly duck out of the way.
The mimic tries to crush you against the back wall of Izchak's shop, but you sidestep.
The mimic tries to rain blows upon you, but you move away from the mimic to breathe in.
The mimic picks up a nearby question mark and reads it. It looks around, suddenly unsure of where it is. (FUMBLE!)
|You acquire an item: dead mimic|
|You gain 9 <substat>.|
Occurs at The Dungeons of Doom, as a choice of Ouch! You bump into a door!
- Prior to the April 16th, 2008 update, if you fought and beat the mimic, the store would not reappear (becoming a one-time adventure). If you lost, the store would become unavailable until after rollover. The new behaviour allows for multiple encounters regardless of loss or victory over the mimic.
- This monster cannot be copied.
- As with everything else in the Dungeons of Doom, this is a reference to the computer game NetHack.
- A mimic in a NetHack shop often appears as the character "]", which is easy to confuse with "[", the symbol for cloaks and other outerwear.
- The fumble and critical hit message refer to scrolls in NetHack, which are represented by question marks and can also be read by literate monsters (although not mimics). The mimic's scrolls are a scroll of create monster and a scroll of amnesia or confuse monster.
- The miss message about moving away from the mimic to breathe in is a reference to Tay Zonday, specifically his video "Chocolate Rain".