In a nutshell, meat pasting is the art of combining two items together into another by bonding them with meat paste. It is available to all players in the game regardless of level, moon sign, ascension type and so on; moreover pasting items does not consume adventures. On the other hand, a lump of meat paste -- obtained by either adventuring at certain locations or producing it, for 10 Meat each, using the crafting interface -- is required per each item to be produced for everyone not under a Knollish moon sign.
Unlike products of other crafts in the game, most meat-pasting items can be taken back apart by visiting the Untinker at the Forest Village inside the Distant Woods. Untinkering is essentially free; however it does not return meat paste which held the compound item together.
This page provides an overview of items produced by meat pasting, with actual recipes and detailed descriptions listed on individual item pages.
Special Pasting Accomplishments
A number of familiar hatchlings can be obtained by the means of meat pasting:
- Combining anticheese with goat cheese produces a goat, which hatches into an Angry Goat.
- Fertilizing a ghuol egg with Spooky-Gro fertilizer produces a hatchling of a Ghuol Whelp.
- Pasting together an irate sombrero and a poultrygeist yields a hatchling of a Hovering Sombrero.
- A maple leaf, hatchling of a Whirling Maple Leaf, can be produced by pasting two leaflets together and combining the resulting leaf with maple syrup.
- Attach two bat wings one by one to a batblade (with a one-winged stab bat as intermediate step) to obtain a Stab Bat hatchling.
- As sometimes suggested by fortune cookies, getting a sabre-toothed lime cub is as simple as pasting together a lime and sabre teeth.
- Combining a grouchy restless spirit and a clockwork sphere is the final step of obtaining a scary death orb, although the sphere itself is a product of supertinkering.
- Combining pulsing flesh with unstable DNA produces a wriggling tentacle. Combining two of those produces a mass of wriggling tentacles. Combining two twitching claws produces a pair of twitching claws. Finally combining a mass of wriggling tentacles with a pair of twitching claws produces the familiar a pair of ragged claws. All these items are from Crimbo 2008.
There are also three "proto-hatchlings" obtained by meat pasting: dusty animal skull, pirate skull and ninja pirate zombie robot head. These items produce hatchlings for the Misshapen Animal Skeleton, the Spooky Pirate Skeleton and the Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot, respectively, if used with appropriate other items present in inventory.
Since September 24, 2008, discovering 69 unique meat-pasting recipes makes one eligible for the Master Paster trophy.
A number of quest items, some of which are mandatory for completing Council quests, can only be created by meat pasting:
- Pasting together two parts of Harold's hammer is the way of completing the optional Harold's Hammer Quest.
- Combining sweet rims with tires yields dope wheels, which in turn are pasted together with a meat engine in order to produce a bitchin' meatcar -- one method to obtain access to the Desert Beach.
- Pasting is the method of creating a heavy metal sonata (chrome ore with drab sonata) and a heavy metal thunderrr guitarrr (chrome ore with acoustic guitarrr), both of which must be obtained to complete the optional Pagoda Quest.
- When locating the Black Market during the Quest for the Holy MacGuffin, the player can be assisted by a familiar or its hatchling which can only be obtained by combining broken wings with sunken eyes. (Or, if those Bs don't cooperate, a similar familiar, whose hatchling is pasted together from a bird brain and busted wings, may help.)
- Also during the MacGuffin quest the player must paste together the Staff of Ed from the ancient amulet, the Eye of Ed and the Staff of Fats.
- Although it can be obtained directly through adventuring at the Daily Dungeon, a skeleton key that is necessary to unlock The Naughty Sorceress' Tower Door can also be created by combining a skeleton bone and loose teeth.
- Wand of Nagamar, which is more-or-less necessary to defeat the Naughty Sorceress, is obtained by three-step pasting of heavy D, lowercase N, metallic A and ruby W.