Knob Goblin Very Mad Scientist
|Knob Goblin Very Mad Scientist|
|Locations||Knob Goblin Laboratory|
|Monster Parts||head, arm, leg, torso|
|Quest||Cobb's Knob Menagerie key, Subject 37 file|
|Pickpocket||smudged alchemical recipe|
This is one of the Maddest of the Mad Scientists of Cobb's Knob. He's madder than a Hatter. Well, madder than a regular Hatter, but slightly less mad than a Mad Hatter.
He takes off his monocle and gives you a sound monocle-whipping with it. Eek! Oof! Ooh! Eek!
He lets loose a passel of vicious, mutated, carnivorous chickens, who peck your <shins> to tatters. Ooh! Ugh! Ouch! Eek! Eek! Ooh!
He hits you with plastic tubes and pots and pans. Man, what kind of weird science uses all that stuff? Ouch! Ouch! Ow! Argh! Oof!
He hits you with a concentrated blast of SCIENCE! You temporarily go blind. Ow! Eek! Ugh! Ow!
He produces a voodoo doll and chants, then hits you with magic and technology. You're not sure if the attack is real, but it sure hurts. Oof! Ow! Oof! Eek!
He tries to monocle-whip you with his monocle, but fails. If only he had one more ocle.
He charges at you, but you say "Mad? We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad..." and continue until he falls asleep.
He starts to attack, but suddenly stops. From your heart and from your hand, you don't understand his intentions.
He tries to blind you with science, but you dodge like poetry in motion.
He starts dancing close to you. You can smell the chemicals. Fortunately, all those vapors start blinding him, and he has to sit down and rub his eyes for a while. (FUMBLE!)
He pulls out a bottle of seltzer, hits you on the head with it, then sprays it in your face. You wince, gag, and sputter, but manage to swallow some of the seltzer in the process. Ugh! Ugh! Eek!
|You gain 18-20 Mana Points.|
|You gain 36-54 Meat (average: 45, stdev: 4.06)*|
|You acquire an item: Knob Goblin melon baller (4.7% chance)*|
|You acquire an item: Knob Goblin seltzer (15.4% chance)*|
|You acquire an item: Knob Goblin superseltzer (14.9% chance)*|
|You acquire an item: scrumptious reagent (23.4% chance)*|
- If you don't already have it
|You acquire an item: Cobb's Knob Menagerie key (? chance)*|
|You acquire an item: Subject 37 file (? chance)*|
- If you are at least level 11:
|You acquire an item: bunch of square grapes (19.3% chance)*|
|You gain 11-12 <substat>.|
Occurs at Laboratory.
- Using Pickpocket on this monster may yield a smudged alchemical recipe from about 5% of pickpocket attempts.
- Bunch of square grapes will not drop unless you are level 11 or higher.
- The menagerie key is pickpocketable.
- The "Mad Hatter" refers to a character (The Hatter) in Lewis Carroll's 1865 book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
- One of the combat messages is another reference to the same book, a scene in which Alice protests to the Cheshire Cat that she doesn't "want to go among mad people."
- "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
- "He tries to blind you with science," "poetry in motion," and "dances close to you / you can smell the chemicals" are references to the Thomas Dolby song, "She Blinded Me with Science".
- "From your heart and from your hand" and "plastic tubes and pots and pans" come from lines in the song "Weird Science" by Oingo Boingo.