History of Loathing (2009)
These pages shall contain the history of the Kingdom of Loathing.
For an annotated list of changes to the game, see Changes.
|Table of contents|
|2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023|
January 02, 2009
- We're aware of the intermittent connection problems. There are some hardware issues at the data center, and we're working on getting a solution in place. Thank you for making like a busy hospital and having lots of patience.
January 06, 2009
- Though it has not yet faded into the mists, events have drawn to a close in Crimbo Town.... Or have they?
Yes. Yes they have. If you have anything you want to say to the Penguins, now would be a good time.
January 11, 2009
- The next underwater zone is now available. Check with Little Brother or Big Brother, depending on what class you are.
January 12, 2009
January 13, 2009
- The activation process for new accounts has been streamlined a bit.
January 15, 2009
- The hidden +Noncombat Chance on the Yendorian Finery outfit has been removed.
- The much-maligned, super-secret hidden interaction between +Monster Level and +Noncombat Chance has been removed.
January 19, 2009
- There are now Quest Log entries for the Sea Monkee quest line.
- There's now a plaque in the museum (and a line in your accomplishments, potentially) about the Crimbomination event.
January 23, 2009
- After your first ascension, you no longer have to look at each page of the MacGuffin diary to start that page's section of the quest.
- Yossarian will now tell you where he lost each of his tools, even if you're not in uniform when you talk to him.
- For the purposes of the level 11 quest, Lord Spookyraven's spectacles now work from inventory if you've ascended at least once.
January 25, 2009
- The next underwater zone is finally finished -- again, check with Little Brother or Big Brother, depending on your class.
January 26, 2009
- The k-mail interface now shows, in an HTML comment, the date and time of a message in MM/DD/YY HH:MM:SS format. This may be of use to people writing software that interfaces with it.
- Hagnk is now available (via the actual game interface) during the entirety of a Bad Moon run, so you can get free-pull items out and annoy people with them.
January 31, 2009
- We're gonna need a little bit more time to test and tweak February's Item-of-the-Month, so it won't be in Mr. Store until Sunday's rollover. Sorry 'bout that.
February 01, 2009
February 04, 2009
- Over the last couple of days, we've added a bunch of new pickpocket-only items to monsters across the Kingdom. Yoink away!
- The "Adventure Again" output for the Arid, Extra-Dry Desert will now also include a link to adventure in The Oasis, and vice versa.
February 06, 2009
- There are a few new items (including the long-awaited KoL documentary) available in the Store of Loathing.
February 08, 2009
- So... yeah. The next underwater zone rolled out this past Friday, and apparently my announcement didn't get posted properly. Sorry about that.
February 09, 2009
- The radio archive now also has an RSS feed on it.
- The duration of brined liver gained from crafted underwater drinks has been increased.
February 10, 2009
- KoL accounts will no longer be deleted due to inactivity.
February 11, 2009
- Some new chat commands have been added: /count, /buy, and /unequip. The /cast has also been modified such that you can use it to cast buffs on other players. See CDM's forum post for details.
February 12, 2009
- Anti-anti-antidote has had its price reduced slightly, and is now sold by Doc Galaktik rather than at the Market.
- The bulkhead in the Wreck of the Edgar Fitzsimmons will now stop showing up for 20 turns if you ignore it.
- The chat command /note has been added, as a synonym for /notes.
- The wheel choice in the pyramid's Middle Chamber will no longer show up once Ed has been defeated.
- Comma Chameleons in the form of aquatic familiars can now breathe underwater.
February 15, 2009
- The Happy Salamander effect now actually does something. Sorry about that.
February 16, 2009
- Autoattack will no longer trigger in boss fights.
Take a look at this forum post if this announcement makes you sad about a certain Hobo overlord.
- The pop-up descriptions of effects now tell you the details of what the effect does.
- The Knob Goblin King will now drop the Cobb's Knob lab key if you haven't already found it by the time you defeat him.
February 19, 2009
- Spirit Hoboes and Gluttonous Green Ghosts can now be boozed-up and fed in quantity from the terrarium page.
February 23, 2009
February 24, 2009
- The Mall Search has been revamped.
February 25, 2009
- The number of hobo gristles required for the Sleazy Back Alley bounty has been corrected.
- It is now possible to make donations through Amazon again.
February 28, 2009
- March's Item-of-the-Month is going to be a bit late -- we're expecting to roll it out Monday at rollover. Sorry for the delay.
March 02, 2009
March 05, 2009
- The Crimbo story documentation has been updated with the events of the last couple of Crimbos.
March 07, 2009
- Since KoL's servers are in Arizona, which doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time, please be aware that rollover will happen an hour later starting tomorrow.
March 10, 2009
March 13, 2009
- The next batch of underwater content has been rolled out. Grandpa Sea Monkee is now awake -- pester him for details.
- The Mall search now lets you specify a maximum number of results per item. It has also been tweaked on the back end for accessibility. Most people won't notice a difference, but it should be easier on screen readers.
March 20, 2009
- A problem with the drop logic on a couple of the new underwater items has been fixed.
- Several new Pastamancer-summonable creatures have been added in various places.
March 24, 2009
- The reward for the Typical Tavern quest has been reworked. Revamped. Rejiggered.
- Underscores can now be used in candy hearts and personalized coffee mugs.
March 25, 2009
- A whole buttload of new ranged weapons have been added to various monsters and zones. (A standard buttload, not a metric buttload.)
- All of the appropriate drops added today should now work in the stone mariachis.
March 31, 2009
- The code for automatically triggering KoL holidays has finally been completely standardized.
April 02, 2009
- Happy Groundhog Day! Ronin now ends when you free King Ralph, and if you're in Hardcore, you can access any unavailable permanent skills you have from your account menu.
April 10, 2009
- We've rolled out a new account menu feature that allows you to generate forum signature and avatar graphics that display various things about your character. Now you can tell the whole world about your awesome collection of goat cheese!
April 15, 2009
- A hilarious (an hilarious?) cocktailcrafting recipe we overlooked has been added. Hi-larious.
April 17, 2009
April 21, 2009
- Those of you who are fans of MC Frontalot might enjoy last night's radio show, on which he was a guest.
April 24, 2009
- The Quest Log will now tell you which kind of ore the Trapper wants you to bring him.
April 27, 2009
- We've added a fiendishly easy quest followed by a fiendishly difficult puzzle. You can get to it in your Guild after you've done the White Citadel Quest and have a main stat of at least 100 -- talk to Paco for details. Direct any and all complaints to Riff, player #27048.
- People with multiple Custom Titles now have the option to have one randomly selected each time they log in.
April 30, 2009
- May's Wacky-Experiment-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store. Details about how the stuff works can be found in this forum thread.
May 03, 2009
- Seal Clubbers finally get to club some seals -- check your guild store (and various other places around the Kingdom) for details.
May 04, 2009
- Thrust Smack and Lunging Thrust Smack now automatically hit if you are a Seal Clubber and wielding a 2-handed club. Club-a-dub-dub!
May 05, 2009
- Happy Cinco de Mayo, amigos. Be sure to tune in to Radio KoL tonight at 8PM Eastern, for KolMohDee's crazy tequila and tequila-related-thing giveaway extravaganza SUPERIOR!
May 08, 2009
- The island seal figurines are now available in the post-level-12 bombed-out versions of their respective zones.
May 09, 2009
- All Accordion Thief buffs now have unique icons.
May 13, 2009
- A whole bunch of new turtles have been added for the taming pleasure of Turtle Tamers. See your guild store to get started.
- The craftable shields from underwater have had their recipes adjusted to use a new kind of craftable shield instead of a buckler buckle. Now say "craftable shield" ten times fast.
May 22, 2009
May 26, 2009
May 30, 2009
May 31, 2009
- Chester's muscle shirt is now more... muscly.
- Due to innumerable factors beyond our control or ken, the June Item-of-the-Month is expected to be a couple of days late.
June 02, 2009
June 10, 2009
- Old raid logs now specify the dungeon you're looking at and the date of the run.
June 17, 2009
- Clan Dungeon permissions are now managed on a per-dungeon basis.
- A new set of chat commands has been added, see this forum post for details.
June 23, 2009
- Happy Tuesday! Clever Pastamancers and Saucerors can now create potions that allow underwater breathing.
June 30, 2009
- July's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store. Also, Happy Tuesday! White rice is now cocktailcraftable into sake.
July 02, 2009
- The [open] function of the Bag o' Tricks can no longer be used in Ronin or Hardcore.
- Jick should've called in stupid today. I meant Hardcore. Just Hardcore.
- Clay beads and class rings from the island war are no longer quest items. We forget why we made them that way initially.
July 06, 2009
- The message you get from Hero of the Half-Shell about fending off damage with your shield now only displays if the skill actually triggers.
- Saucestorm should now properly trigger a charge in the Bag o' Tricks. Apparently one of its tricks was a typo.
- Fixed a bug that made the Bow Tie Bat better at pickpocketing than it was supposed to be. Sorry 'bout that.
July 10, 2009
- The familiar from the Slime Tube has finally been implemented. We expect it to be met with ooze and ahhs.
July 16, 2009
- A couple of the noncombats in the Haunted Bathroom have been tweaked in an attempt to make it more attractive for leveling Mysticality. Also, today is totally Tuesday.
- Special monster encounters (like Feast of Boris monsters) should no longer override semirare adventures (or happen in Noob Cave.)
July 23, 2009
- The Scientists of Loathing wish to assure you that the current elevated level of airborne Mystical pollutants and the frequent aftershocks from the seismic events of the last few days are nothing at all to worry about.
July 27, 2009
- Check out Jick's appearance on the Adam Carolla podcast here. Get it on!
Also, this year's Comic-Con Choose-Your-Own-Adventure is now available here.
To get it on, turn to section 108.
July 28, 2009
- The magic in the air is getting magicer, and the aftershocks are coming less frequently but more intensely. Still nothing to worry about.
July 30, 2009
July 31, 2009
August 01, 2009
- Pool tables and basements can now be searched for at the Clan Recruiter.
- The output when you put a familiar in your terrarium has been adjusted a little bit. What does this portend? Probably nothing.
August 04, 2009
- The magical vibrations in the air (and the regular vibrations in the ground) have reached a fever pitch.
- If you move from one clan you're whitelisted in to another, your clan Karma will now be given back to you when you return.
August 05, 2009
- All of the lobsters in the Kingdom suddenly remembered that they are aquatic creatures.
- Properly-sized rock monsters should now be showing up in Hobopolis and the Slime Tube.
- Skill description popups will now tell you which combat skills are considered "spells."
August 11, 2009
- The Adventurers of Loathing have long been critical of their spells. Tonight... the tables have turned.
August 17, 2009
- Fixed a couple of bugs with the pressurized air potion. I would enumerate them, but Firefox 3.5 has broken the trivial updates form in a really, really obnoxious way.
August 18, 2009
- We've rolled out the first .001% of the new Nemesis Quest stuff -- the revamped Dark and Dank and Sinister Cave. Your Nemesis awaits! Again.
- You should now always get a notification if using a skill causes you to lose a negative effect. Also fixed a minor napping bug.
August 19, 2009
- A cool new meatpasting recipe has been added, using some (very) old ingredients.
August 25, 2009
- The ground seems to have gotten particularly angry today.
August 31, 2009
- We're gonna need another day or so to properly balance September's Item-of-the-Month. Stay tuned!
September 01, 2009
- In celebration of the fact that it is Tuesday, Heartbreaker's Hotel has finally opened its doors to the damned public.
- September's Item-of-the-Month, the Tome of Sugar Shummoning, is now available in Mr. Store.
- Big bundles of chamoix may now be used more than one at a time. Happy wiping!
- Evil noodle dishes should now properly give Pastamancers MP when consumed.
September 04, 2009
- Due to a gas leak in Seaside Town, the NPCs at your Guild might be experiencing a little bit of amnesia today.
September 10, 2009
- With a thunderous whimper, the last of the aftershocks have stopped.
September 11, 2009
- The most recent few familiars have been added to the possibility list for the doppelshifter / wardrobe.
September 23, 2009
- Mr. Store familiar larvae are now free pulls from Hagnk's.
September 27, 2009
- The starting combat skills from each class can now be permed. Oh, and so can my hair -- I'll be so pretty!
September 28, 2009
- Happy Experimental Interface Improvement Day! A feature-rich right-click menu has been added for items. Details in CDM's forum post.
September 29, 2009
- Happy Tuesday! The Rib of the Bonerdagon can now be turned into a Chefstaff by Rodoric.
- Found and fixed a couple more ways in which the whole clan karma retention thing could get messed up.
September 30, 2009
- October's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store. (Sorry, it's a little late. Was drunk. Still am, actually.)
- Recent event notifcations can now be viewed from the kmail screen.
October 02, 2009
- The Grudge noncombats in the Haunted Bathroom have been collapsed down to a single choice adventure. Happy leveling!
October 05, 2009
- The wriggling flytrap pellet should now be considerably easier to get.
October 07, 2009
- The newest underwater zone has been released. See Big Brother Sea Monkee for a map.
- Fixed a longstanding bug that was making astral mushrooms, gongs, and agua de vida drop a little less often than they should have.
October 10, 2009
- Happy Belated Anniversary, Mr. Store! The new 2 Mr. Accessory familiars are now available.
October 22, 2009
- There have always been dolphins in the Sea. And they have always been dirty thieves.
- All of the fishes in the Briny Deeps should now be a bit more forthcoming with their meat.
October 27, 2009
- All effects that give familiars additional experience now work in the arena as well as in combat.
October 28, 2009
- Hey, I forgot to announce the Halloween event. There's... a Halloween event. Going on now!
October 31, 2009
- Jick: Happy Halloween! We're gonna be out and about tonight at rollover, so the Item-of-the-Month will be delayed by one day.
November 01, 2009
- November's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
Also, the Underworld trunk can now be used.
November 10, 2009
- Several new items are now available in the Store of Loathing -- New Crimbo cards by OhGodTheRats, a Ninja Snowman shirt, some new die-cut stickers, and the 2010 Fan Art Calendar. The colors!
November 30, 2009
- Announcement: Don Crimbo has left each and every Adventurer a little present at his or her campsite. He is currently in Uncle P's antiques, if you would care to discuss the terms of your repayment for this holiday favor.
Also, December's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
Also also, if you want anything from the Store of Loathing to be delivered in time for Christmas, you should order it by this Wednesday.
December 08, 2009
- We've rolled out some backend inventory display caching code in the hopes of making the lag a little less horrible.
- You can now set your character and menu panes to compact mode independently of one another.
- Recalling ancient memories in Bad Moon will now give you your familiars back in addition to your skills.
December 11, 2009
- The winners of Mr. Skullhead's limerick contest have had their entries placed in the Limerick Dungeon. Congratulations MoxiousGas, Baltar, and Mr. Magnifico!
December 14, 2009
- Crimbo Town is now open for legitimate business in the Big Mountains.
- You will no longer find any fancy chocolates in any battered Crimbo Crates. They'd have been gross, anyways.
December 15, 2009
- Fixed a typo in the fight code that made scaling monsters sometimes begin combat with fewer than zero hit points.
- A change has been made to the way scaling monsters' defense stat is calculated. See this post for details.
- The previous update has been undone on account of it being dumb in retrospect.
December 16, 2009
- Even though it's TOTALLY still funny, chatbot has been made immune to jawbruisers.
December 17, 2009
- Don Crimbo should now give you any quest items you may have lost by ascending in the middle of his quest line.
December 18, 2009
- The Pastamancer and Sauceror Crimbo spells should now be dealing with bonus spell damage properly.
December 31, 2009
- Happy New Year! Crimbo Town has faded back into the mists, and January's Item-of-the-Month has inexplicably appeared on time in Mr. Store.
|History of Loathing||2003||2004||2005||2006||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022||2023|