History of Loathing (2006)
These pages shall contain the history of the Kingdom of Loathing.
For an annotated list of changes to the game, see Changes.
|Table of contents|
|2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020|
January 01, 2006
- In Kingdom News today, Uncle Crimbo and his elves have apparently agreed to a new work contract, and the weeks-long Crimbo strike has ended. Inside sources say that included among the concessions made by Uncle Crimbo to the elves were a "footstool slush fund" and "access to the 'grown-up' eggnog." Details regarding the long-awaited Elvish Dentistry School education vouchers are sketchy at this time.
In related news, Crimbo Town has inexplicably vanished from Big Mountains.
January 02, 2006
- The bug wherein your hardcore and path settings weren't being cleared after freeing the king has been fixed. If this affected you, please just ascend as normal, and do what you have to do at the end of the next run.
January 03, 2006
- The new data center is doing some sort of equipment reboot tonight (Wednesday morning at 1:00 MST) that they say will result in about ten minutes of downtime. Just a heads up.
The January item-of-the-month will more than likely go in by rollover tonight.
January 06, 2006
- Some of the familiars introduced during Crimbo now have familiar equipment. Now with recycled artwork action!
- The snowcone skill no longer shows up on your list of skills to keep through ascension. (The skill is automatically made hardcore permanent when you use the tome.)
January 07, 2006
- The bug wherein newly ascended players were being denied their pulls and daily summons has been fixed. To correct this problem (if it happened to you,) simply log out and log back in.
January 09, 2006
- The shelf limit in display cases has been raised from 11 to 37.
January 12, 2006
- There is now a "(Mostly) Potions" category in the miscellaneous section of your inventory which contains, as you might have guessed, (mostly) potions.
- O Frabjulous Day
The Haiku Challenge is now
- The queues that prevent you from seeing the same monsters and adventures have been altered such that logging back in does not clear them (so stop doing that.)
January 14, 2006
- A new feature has been added to chat -- custom right-click menus! You can enable it from your account menu. This feature is experimental, and may not work for everyone. See the documentation for more information.
- Knob Goblin steroids, love potions, and a bunch of other candy items are now usable in quantity.
January 15, 2006
- There is now a message explaining the loss of ascension records in one's ascension history page if you lost records in the Great Time Catastrophe.
- The right click menu feature has been extended to work in several non-chat places (Hall of Records, KMail, bet archive, clan rosters.)
January 17, 2006
- The right-click menu can now display a "View Ascension History" link.
- Yet another ascension records improvement -- the # column for ascensions after the time catastrophe is now accurate.
January 18, 2006
- Slight change to the inventory page -- items which you cannot equip are grayed out and strikethrough'd, to indicate that you can't use them yet.
January 19, 2006
- Clan war rooms now order their list of clans to attack by number of goodies, then alphabetically.
- The mushroom plot has been given an interfacelift.
January 25, 2006
- The in-disguise portion of Itznotyerzitz Mine has been changed into a fun mining mini-game. Also, the L33t Tr4pz0r quest has been altered a bit.
- The skill page now remembers which MP restorer you've used (but not across logins.)
January 26, 2006
- All of the (currently known) familiars are now eligible to be chosen for individual familiar leaderboards.
January 27, 2006
- The bang potion that didn't do anything now does something. Something minor, but something.
- The account menu is now divided up into four logical sections.
January 31, 2006
- The February Item of the Month is available in Mr. Store. On time!
Additionally, there have been some changes to elemental damage in combat. The separate types of elemental damage that you do are now enumerated during combat, in stunning color.
Additionally additionally, there is a new element of damage in the Kingdom -- sleaze damage.
From the Forums:
February 01, 2006
- The autosale interface has been changed to a checkbox-driven interface. (If you liked the old one, you can use your account menu to get it back.)
February 03, 2006
- We're testing some stuff after rollover tonight, so it'll run a little bit long. Probably no more than 30 minutes.
February 06, 2006
- The star portion of the Perplexing Door quest has been changed. If you wish to preserve the integrity of your speed run, you'll probably want to do some research before you make any star items.
- The clan calendar bug has been fixed. If yours is still broken, log out and log back in, and it should work.
February 08, 2006
- In your campground (and your top menu) you'll now notice a Quest Log. This currently underutilized new feature provides a way for you to keep track of what quests you're currently on, and there's a section of it where you can keep some notes. This is also where your accomplishments are displayed, now.
Also, there's some new stuff going on at the hippy camp. Take a clover!
- Over the next few
hoursdays, we're going to be converting a number of existing items into off-hand items. Check out this post in the forums for a list of affected items, and exactly what the change will entail.
February 09, 2006
- The clan credo change bug has been fixed.
- The quest log's note section now has an option to change its font from variable-space to monospace and back.
February 10, 2006
- The bug wherein the Pretentious Artist would not give you tattoos for outfits with offhand items has been fixed.
February 12, 2006
- Okay, so, we've made some changes to the way elemental resistance works. Instead of just being a "you have it or you don't" situation, it now stacks up. Equipment and effects can give you varying levels of protection, and your character sheet tells you how protected you are against each element.
In other news, all dropped and crafted equipment is now enchanted. Like some evening.
February 13, 2006
- The long-awaited leaflet revamp has gone live! If you were in the middle of or had finished the old leaflet, you've been reset -- happy Valentine's Day, I guess. Thanks go to Riff for the awesome new rewrite.
Also, Happy Valentine's Day! There are some new goodies in the Gift Shop in Market Square to mark the occasion.
- There is no longer a notification when (or if) you find everything in the Strange Leaflet. (This is on purpose.) Also, the "GO" command works again in the leaflet.
February 14, 2006
- The PvP page now remembers what you are PvPing for. For what you are PvPing. (Rank, flowers, etc.)
February 15, 2006
- Rollover will be long tonight (2/16) so we can perform a little bit of maintenance.
Edit: Maintenance successful. Yay!
February 21, 2006
- Tomes of snowcone summoning now mark you no-delete. Those of you who had used one before and weren't no-delete are now.
- The game will now tell you when you have gained a level as a result of stat gains.
February 23, 2006
- The Hall of Records is now updating again. Whee.
February 24, 2006
- Familiars can now inflict elemental damage.
February 26, 2006
- No, seriously, this time -- the Hall of Records are updating again. Greasy little weasel...
- The headbutt bug is fixed.
February 27, 2006
March 02, 2006
- In the Account menu, you now have the ability to change the e-mail address associated with an account. The way it works is a little janky, but it's a necessary evil, what with the security and the scamming and the nice LADY.
Edit: March's item-of-the-month is available.
- A fountain was erected in Market Square. A superfluous fountain.
March 03, 2006
- You now have the ability to remove buff effects from yourself (for free) in your Character screen. In the Effects list, each buff will have a [shrug off] link next to it.
March 05, 2006
- A bunch of new skills are now available from your friendly neighborhood Guild Trainer. All classes now have skills up to level 14, except Turtle Tamers, who only got a level 13 skill, and Accordion Thieves, who got their skills all the way to 15.
- The Armory and Leggery, in an impressive show of mercantile fortitude, has come to acquire all of the equipment that used to be sold by the Demon Market.
March 06, 2006
- The new Accordion Thief songs now count properly towards one's three song limit.
March 13, 2006
- A new NPC (that's non-player character, for all of you non-dorks) has been added to each of the class guilds. The Car/Shore quest has been changed such that this NPC assigns it to you, rather than the Council.
This is all he does right now, but there'll be more in the fullness of time. Also, I was just kidding. No non-dorks play this game.
March 14, 2006
- When you open gift packages, they'll now open most recent first, instead of first-in first-out like they used to.
Also, the messages associated with gift packages should now correctly update with the inside note once the package is opened.
Also also, why didn't anybody tell me that feature had stopped working?
- Turtle Tamers have skills to level 15, now. More notable, however, are the many, many changes we've made to Turtle Tamers and their skills. Several skills have been changed; some removed, some added. Check out this forum post if you want to know exactly what's up.
March 16, 2006
- There is a new chat command, /clannies , which shows all the online members in your clan. Now only if I could think of a better name for the command.
- Hot on the heels of /clannies, there is now an account setting which allows you to get notifications when your clan members log in.
March 19, 2006
- The clan rank and permission system has been revamped. You can read about the changes in this forum post.
- Combat will now remember both of the combat items you use during combat between fights. (You'll have to relogin to make it work, though.)
March 20, 2006
- The tradable dictionary has had its name changed to "facsimile dictionary" to disambiguate it from the dictionary quest item.
March 22, 2006
- The clan log has been changed. Of particular interest is the fact that clan stash transactions now occur towards the bottom of the page. (So stop reporting it as a bug.)
March 23, 2006
- You can now set the color of your clan members' names in chat in the account menu. (Note that your contact list color overrides this choice.)
March 27, 2006
- Some items were added to the Knob Goblin Lab store.
March 30, 2006
- Mr. Skullhead has updated the documentation on scammers slightly. Check it out here and here, funk soul brother.
March 31, 2006
April 04, 2006
- The Cake-Shaped Arena will now tell you how many wins you need for a prize when you first enter it.
April 07, 2006
- The quest log will now remember which page you last visited (but not across logins.)
- You can now use the /notes command in chat to add a line to the bottom of your quest log notes page.
April 08, 2006
- The Hall of Legends has been changed to use a better random distribution method. (So stop donating the minimum amount over and over.)
April 11, 2006
- The Spooky Forest has been updated a bit. It has been made more interactive and streamlined, like a... uh... choose your own sports car?
April 15, 2006
- We've added a leaderboard in the Hall of Records for Noblesse Oblige's Hardcore Ascension Contest. Because it's cool. The leaderboard will go away when the contest ends. Not that I really needed to specify that.
- You can now collapse sections when viewing display cases by clicking on the shelf name. (No memory functionality is planned for this feature.)
- Due to fluctuations in the primal forces of hilarity, three new items can now be created from McPhee's Grimoire.
- The flaming crutch is now a weapon.
April 19, 2006
- The clan recruiter now allows you to search clan credos as well as names. Also, line breaks are preserved in credos when other people view them now. Sorry that took so long to fix.
- You will no longer see PvP win/lose messages from people on your ignore list.
April 20, 2006
- Lifetime stats are now visible on the ascension history page.
April 21, 2006
- A dodgy little man has set up a new booth in the Casino. I wonder what he's doing there...
April 23, 2006
- New chat feature -- you can make links to other players by typing >> and a playerid, like so: >>46205.
April 24, 2006
- Another another new chat feature -- you can use /clear (or /cls, for you old-school QBASIC programmers) to clear your chat pane.
- Another new chat feature -- you can force [channel] tags to appear for the channel you're in. Turn it on in the account menu.
April 27, 2006
- You can now remove multiple entries at once from your contact and ignore lists using the "Manage your contact/ignore lists" link in the account menu. Additionally, these lists are now compatible with the right-click menu.
- The >> player link syntax also now works in KMail. Now, can we please be a little more mature about the new feature than we were when it first rolled out?
April 28, 2006
April 29, 2006
April 30, 2006
- The May Item of the Month is now available.
May 03, 2006
- Switching between compact mode and full mode no longer requires the page refresh that kills chat.
- Due to egregious abuse of free gift boxes, all black velvet boxes with only 1 meat in them were destroyed. Everyone else, check your inventory for lost packages.
May 04, 2006
- You can now click on names in your consumption records and view an item description. (This doesn't work for things from the brewery or Chez Snootee.)
May 05, 2006
- More gift package genocide: plain brown wrappers with only 1 Meat have been deleted. Additionally, plain brown wrappers now cost 50 Meat.
An artifact of the culling process made all your plain brown wrappers move to your inventory.
May 07, 2006
- The bug wherein purple snowcones weren't regenerating some of their MP if you used a skill to kill a monster is fixed.
May 10, 2006
- There are now two new cookbooks for sale in the League of the Chef-Magi guild store.
May 12, 2006
- The oft-reported-as-misspelled "Examigne Items In Storage" button in Hagnk's has been replaced with a magnifying glass. A magnifying glass... OF DOOM.
May 13, 2006
- Another fluctuation in the primal force of hilarity has allowed another item to be summoned from the Grimoire.
May 14, 2006
- There have been some changes made to the way booze works. First-generation mixed drinks (base booze + base fruit) have had their quality improved quite a bit, such that it is no longer possible to end up with a net loss of adventures from cocktailcrafting two things.
Also, Ode to Booze has been changed. Instead of giving a flat bonus of one adventure per booze item, it now gives a bonus of 1-4, scaling with the quality of the item.
May 15, 2006
- The new Ode to Booze formula now applies to things the Spirit Hobo drinks.
May 18, 2006
- The observatory, having completed its upgrades, is now again open to the general public.
There is also a leaderboard for most time spent stargazing.
May 19, 2006
- The doppelshifter character pane picture bug is now fixed.
May 23, 2006
- Just a friendly reminder -- due to the strangeness with KWE wager payouts, Xenophobe is going to perform the wager payouts manually this time. Doing so will be slower, and you may not receive your winnings until some time after rollover. Rest assured, however, that you WILL receive your winnings correctly this week. You will receive a notification in chat when your winnings have arrived.
May 24, 2006
- The Disco Bandit skill Crossbow Fever has been changed. Instead of giving a flat to-hit bonus, it now gives +1 damage per player level when using a crossbow.
This should make it just a weensy bit less useless.
May 25, 2006
- The level 15 skill for Disco Bandits has been rolled out. Please visit the Department of Shadowy Arts and Crafts for details. And de heads.
- There was a bug with the way shield damage reduction was being calculated, and it has been fixed. All +absorption enchantments have also been removed from shields. The net effect of this change is probably pretty close to zero.
May 27, 2006
- KMail timestamps now include the year during which you received a given KMail.
- The meatcar quest has been altered slightly -- it is now impossible to go to Desert Beach unless your guild has unlocked it for you.
May 28, 2006
- Acoustic and heavy metal thundarrr guitars are now ranged weapons.
May 30, 2006
May 31, 2006
The June Item of the Month will, most likely, be a day or two late. You'll understand why when it is available.
- The June Item of the Month is now available in Mr. Store.
Additionally, custom avatar forms are again available in Mr. Store. The guidelines have changed, so be sure and read them before you trade for one.
Additionally additionally, there is a new item in the Demon Market.
Even more additionally, there will be about an hour of downtime tomorrow, June 2, about two hours after rollover ends. The data center is doing some gigantic electrical upgrade, and they have to turn everything off so that they can, like, move... wires... from one Hertz to another, and to, umm, invert some amperages, and, uhh, plug.
June 02, 2006
- The "total profit" readout on the mall store log has been fixed.
- We regret to inform any burgeoning astronomy fans in the Kingdom that the LAAAAME Observatory has been destroyed by a direct hit from a comet that ricocheted after colliding with Grimace. A large section of Grimace itself has fallen to the Desert Beach; it is recommended that adventurers not attempt to lick it.
- Golden Mr. Accessories now give boxes of sunshine to whomever you have smiled on if they have ascended at least once, rather than if they are in Ronin or Hardcore.
June 03, 2006
- If you fail to kill a certain wand-bearing mimic, you now have the chance to encounter him again after a rollover.
June 04, 2006
- There is now a readout on the Accomplishments section of the Quest Log showing how many adventures you have spent stargazing.
June 05, 2006
- You can now access the Knob Goblin Lab Store using the last adventure link.
- At some point tonight, probably around 6:30 Arizona time, the guys at the data center are going to be replacing the server that went down on Friday. The forums will go down for a little while (they're guessing 15 minutes or so) and no non-cached images will load during that time.
- You can now view item descriptions for things in your clan stash via the handy, dandy Magnifying Glass picture.
June 06, 2006
- It's Tuesday! There's a happenin's a'transpirin' on the Mysterious Island.
- The level requirements for the Mall are now waived if you have ascended at least once.
- Additionally, level requirements for joining and creating clans are also waived if you have ascended at least once.
June 07, 2006
- Quest items can no longer be put into your closet. All closeted quest items have been returned to inventory.
- There is now a readout on the inventory page that shows whether a weapon is one- or two-handed.
June 09, 2006
- Minor issues related to stat gains at low levels (-1 in level progress bar, erroneous "gain some Levels" message) have been fixed.
June 12, 2006
- The construction on the Right Side of the Tracks is complete. It looks like the penguins have built themselves a Raffle House.
- Golden Mr. Accessories can now smile on people who are in combat.
June 13, 2006
- It's Tuesday! There's that new item in the Grimoire. But wait! There's more!
The level 15 crafting skills for Seal Clubbers, Saucerors, and Pastamancers have been rolled out. The Saucecrafting rollout required us to make some changes to existing items and effects, so it might seem like you're missing stuff, but you're not... Also, some cooking recipes (notably chow meins) don't work the way they used to. There's a forum post with details.
June 14, 2006
- There has been a minor change to the way the skills page works -- now, instead of removing a skill from your list if you can't cast it, the skill is grayed out. (This apparently only works in Firefox.) Skills which can only be used a certain number of times per day (Pastamastery, Smile of Mr. A, etc) also gray out if you can no longer cast them. (There is an option on the skills page to revert back to the old behavior.
Additionally, Transcendental Noodlecraft and The Way of Sauce now allow you to summon 5 noodles or reagents per day, if you have the Pastamastery or Advanced Saucecrafting skills. (This is the way it was originally intended to be, but we forgot to change the limits.)
Additionally additionally, the Cerebral items from the astral mushroom zones now form an outfit, the Encephalic Ensemble.
June 15, 2006
- The skills page now grays/hides Accordion Thief skills if you lack an accordion.
June 17, 2006
- The raffle house should start giving out second prizes again. For the next two days, six second-place prizes will be awarded to make up for lost time.
June 19, 2006
- You must now keep your plexiglass pendant equipped to have four songs in your head. (Taking it off removes the song with the least turns left.) (Nerf nerf nerf.)
- The Flea Market has been the target of some random interface polishing.
June 20, 2006
- It's Tuesday, and we've got two for Tuesday today.
All outfits now have an additional effect of some sort when worn. See if you can figure out all of them!
A number of new shopkeeper images were added to mall stores. You can now switch your shopkeeper name and picture without selling your entire store, for 1,000 Meat. Additionally, if you have a custom avatar, you can choose that to be your shopkeeper picture as well.
June 22, 2006
The MP restorers form may, in the future, be expanded to allow you to use any multiusable item, if enough people think it's a good idea. Look for it some time in the future.
June 24, 2006
- Mall store purchase log entries generated past the time of this announcement should now be more accurate.
June 27, 2006
- It's Tuesday! (At least, for us, it still is.) The Moxious Maneuver button has disappeared, and is now a choice in your Use Skills menu in combat. Additionally, Moxious Maneuver is now affected by -MP cost items.
Also, more elemental tests have been added to the Daily Dungeon (including new sleaze tests.) These may not show up for a day or two, due to the Daily Dungeon's randomness, but you'll know 'em when you see 'em.
June 30, 2006
- July's Item of the Month is now in Mr. Store.
- The plexiglass pith helmet has been changed to regenerate more HP and MP than it did before.
July 04, 2006
- It's Tuesday, and what a Tuesday it is! The next stage of Riff's Guild Quest project has been rolled out, along with some changes to the zone it involves.
July 05, 2006
- Mimics encountered in the Barrel Full of Barrels, if defeated, will now drop the item that you would have gotten if you hadn't found a mimic in that barrel.
July 06, 2006
- Knob Goblin seltzer is now sold in the Knob Goblin Lab Store.
July 10, 2006
July 11, 2006
- Is it Tuesday again already? Doc Galaktik needs some help.
Also, some PvP changes have been rolled out. Each fight is now best of 7 rounds, instead of best of 5, and a bunch of new minigames have been added.
Also also, check your account menu for some optional inventory interface enhancements.
Also also also, a couple of new star items can be made now.
- Damage done to you in the Daily Dungeon is now elementalized, where appropriate.
July 13, 2006
- There has been an addition to the policies.
July 16, 2006
- Accessory slots in your inventory's equip page are now numbered if you have individual accessory slot equip links turned on.
July 18, 2006
- The Toot Oriole and the first run of the Gourd quest are now tracked in the Quest Log.
- Tuesday's coming. Did-- err, Tuesday's here.
The Knob Goblins have discovered a new section inside of their glorious Knob. Beware the inhabitants therein, for brute force may not be enough to keep you alive...
The Grimoire also has a new item.
July 19, 2006
- Thanks to your generous support, we have been able to purchase and install three new webservers. www6, www7, and www8 are online and working. The fight against lag continues!
July 23, 2006
- Minor interface tweak: Equipping a two handed ranged weapon over 2 one-handed melee weapons no longer fails.
July 25, 2006
- The PvP rank bug should be fixed now. Sorry 'bout that.
- The reward scheme for the Giant Garbage quest has been made a little more interesting. We also added a bunch of new cooking recipes. Some interesting, some not so interesting -- it all depends on your threshold for finding things interesting, I guess.
Also, all class skills level 4 and under have had their training costs reduced, and the trainer is unlocked after you complete the first Guild challenge. We'll fill in some sort of reward for the third one soon.
July 31, 2006
- August's Item of the Month is now available in Mr. Store.
August 01, 2006
- Some more recipes have been added, but I'm not saying where or what type. Good luck finding them.
August 08, 2006
- We've done a minor revamp of the Accordion Thief skills. Some underpowered, unpopular and underutilized ones were made better, and a few of them were reordered and/or had their MP costs changed.
- Items in NPC stores with the same price are now sorted by name, and should stop randomly changing order.
August 15, 2006
- There was a glitch in the Raffle House yesterday that caused the prizes to not get handed out. Though tickets from yesterday may have vanished from your inventory, we still have records of the purchases, and the tickets will be applied to today's raffle. Also, twice as many prizes will be awarded today.
Sorry. To make it up to you, we've added a whole bunch of new Meatsmithing recipes, changed some old ones, and made some improvements to the way the Comma Chameleon (August's Item-of-the-Month) works. See this thread for details on the Chameleon changes.
August 16, 2006
- A bunch of new utensils have been added as monster drops at various levels. A handful of utensil smithing recipes have also gone in.
August 22, 2006
- It's Clover Lover Tuesday! A bunch of new clover adventures have been added to various zones, and the letter from King Ralph XI that you get after you ascend now gives you a clover.
August 27, 2006
- The bugs with the HP and MP minigames in PvP should be fixed now. Also, the familiar minigame now uses current weight rather than kills to determine the winner. Ties are resolved by kills.
August 29, 2006
- All monsters can now get both critical hits and fumbles in combat. This change is accompanied by special critical and fumble messages unique to each monster. Yay, more dumb jokes!
Also, the Icy Peak is now finally a real zone. Several new monsters and encounters have been added, making it significantly less boring than it used to be. Yay, more content!
August 30, 2006
- There was a problem with the monster crit/fumble code that was making it happen too often. Each should now happen a little more than half as often as it was for the last day.
August 31, 2006
- September's Mr. Store item is now available. Hoorah!
September 02, 2006
September 05, 2006
- Gnorman the Supertinker, that sly old dog, has learned some sly new tricks.
Also, by popular request, the Auto Attack option in the Account menu has been expanded to allow you to automatically attack with any combat skill or spell, not just your weapon. Xenophobe is back in town with an interface-improving vengeance!
September 06, 2006
- The adventure and monster queues are now 5 units long rather than 3. If you don't know what this means, don't worry about it... :)
September 12, 2006
- The old, boring "You hit for X damage" messages in monster fights have been augmented with more specific messages based on your weapon and the monster you're fighting.
September 19, 2006
- 8 New Zones!
So, yeah. We dropped a significant amount of new content in tonight. Finding it will be at least 1% of the fun! Please note that we'll probably be tweaking and/or rebalancing the new content over the next couple of weeks as we watch people play with it, so please feel free to constructively criticise in the forums.
As always with new content, though, please refrain from posting spoilers in chat or the forums for at least a couple of days. Secrets abound in the new areas, and you wouldn't want to ruin them for people, now, would you? Even if you would, we don't want you to, so please don't.
September 20, 2006
- The /mark chat command now outputs a timestamp when used. (If you are in chat right now, you'll have to /exit and come back in to be able to use the new feature.)
September 21, 2006
- The two buffs that weren't shruggable are now shruggable. (This is probably the only setting where "shruggable" is a valid adjective.)
September 22, 2006
- Due to a stupid error on the part of Xenophobe, we accidentally had the long rollover tonight (when it was supposed to be the rollover after this one.) The good news is that it took less than an hour -- much shorter than originally calculated. Long rollovers such as these will continue, starting next week, on Saturday night, Arizona time. (8:30 PM, -7 GMT)
September 25, 2006
- Plus elemental spell damage equipment now properly doubles its bonus damage against monsters of the appropriate elements.
- At long last, familiar kills have been separated from familiar experience! Familiar kills, which (currently) only increment after defeating monsters, do not get reset after ascension. Familiar experience, which can be gained from fights and the arena, operates like normal. For the benefit of those who have high kill counts, familiar kills have been set equal to experience, so those of you holding out to ascend because of a high kill count familiar may do so.
September 26, 2006
- The oft-overlooked fortune cookie has been the recipient of a reimagining. They're now food, and available at the Demon Market. The fortunes inside have been changed to context-sensitive hints about quests and whatnot.
Also, I apologize for using the word "reimagining" in the above paragraph. It won't happen again.
September 27, 2006
- You can no longer load other pages while in the middle of a choice adventure.
September 29, 2006
- Magnifying glass invasion! Magnifying glasses (which allow you to view item descriptions) have been added to lots of different forms, including the closet, manage mall store, and gift interfaces.
September 30, 2006
- Just like those awful boots you might have worn in the 60s, October's Item of the Month is a go-go.
Additionally; late, but not forgotten, a new hilarious item is summonable.
October 02, 2006
- The number of login failures allowed has been increased from three to five.
October 03, 2006
- Starting tomorrow, the way the hermit doles out clovers has been ner... uh... enhanced. You'll see.
Also, there's a new mini-questy-type thing in the Manor somewhere.
October 05, 2006
- Happy 2nd anniversary, Mr. Store! The Cymbal-Playing Monkey and Attention-Deficit Demon have been retired, and two new, functionally identical familiars have taken their place. They're cute, cuddly, and need good homes.
October 08, 2006
- Tomorrow's rollover (starting Monday, 8:30 PM, Arizona Time (-7 GMT)) will be a long rollover, taking as many as two or three hours (though hopefully less.) We are performing some maintenance on the database servers that should (hopefully) reduce lag (and reduce parenthetical statements. (We hope it helps.))
October 09, 2006
- We're back up, after performing the configuration changes to the database server. Everything seems to be working just fine, but I wanted to give you a heads up -- in the extremely unlikely event that something goes horribly wrong after we let people back on to the servers, we might have to roll back to last night's backup.
October 10, 2006
- Minor update today -- some new pies are in the air.
Speaking of pie, there are also some new shirts available in the Store of Loathing -- they'll protect your torso from any pie that might try to slide out of your mouth and get you all messy.
- The ascension history page now shows lifetime hardcore stats and PvP ranking. Also, the total lifetime stats only update daily, so that every other person in the game doesn't use them to tell when you're shoring.
October 17, 2006
- Clan furniture has gotten a serious facelift. The old gym stuff and the rest of the furniture are now in a Clan Rumpus Room, and there are tons of new furniture options available. Tons, I tell you.
October 18, 2006
- There were some inaccuracies in the descriptions of some of the pieces of clan furniture (the Meat-giving ones.) These inaccuracies have been accurated.
October 19, 2006
- Clan leaders can now prevent other players from applying to their clans with a button on the clan admin page. (Players who are whitelisted to clans which are denying applications can still get in.)
October 21, 2006
- Clan leaders can now set a clan website using the Clan Administration link. A link to this website shows up in your clan's public profile page.
October 24, 2006
- A new clan feature, clan advertisements, has been released. Clan leaders can now take out an advertisement, which will be displayed alongside the clan's furniture in an all-new clan search page! The new search page allows you to search clans by member count and furniture, and also shows the top 10 clans, as favored by The Council of Loathing. (The Council of Loathing likes clans who spend a lot on advertising, come to find out.)
- A new hilarious item approaches!
October 26, 2006
- The Flea Market has undergone some minor changes. The fee to list an item has been reduced from 100 Meat to 10, and the Market now takes a 1% cut of the final selling price of an item that sells. Hopefullly this will lower the barrier for entry for new players a little bit.
In unrelated and not-nearly-as-exciting news, 6 new trophies were added.
October 28, 2006
- New undocumented feature: you can now right-click (in most browsers) on the picture of an effect from a buff to shrug it off.
October 31, 2006
- Fixed a glitch that was causing some Mac browsers to hang for a long time after sending a k-mail. Also, posted one of the most boring and businesslike trivial updates ever.
- I can no longer take the pressure. I have snapped. Hero of the Half Shell has been "fixed" -- check the skill description for details.
- November's Item of the Month is now available in Mr. Store. Due to the real-life and in-game holiday traffic jam, there's no official Tuesday update. Sorry -- we'll try to make it up to you next week.
November 01, 2006
- The ascension history report has been gussied up a bit, and now includes "favorite familiar" data for the runs that have it.
- There's now an option lurking in the Account menu to hide the clan calendar on the right side of the screen.
November 02, 2006
- Hero of the Half Shell is now actually "fixed." Thanks to Kaaewen for figuring out that it was still "broken."
November 07, 2006
- There are some new leaderboards in the "Familiars" section of the Hall of Records. They enumerate the fastest ascensions using specific familiars.
- It's Tuesday, and we're only a week late for Halloween! We've added a bunch of new encounters and items to Spookyraven Manor. Enjoy!
November 09, 2006
- The Crackpot Mystic, for undisclosed reasons, has disassembled his shack and reassembled it in the Distant Woods.
November 11, 2006
November 13, 2006
- In Mall stores, there's now a link back to your search results at the top of the page, as well as the bottom. Whee!
November 14, 2006
- A few new shirt drops have been added, for those players aware of their torsos. Plantman knows where the plants will grow.
Also, the Crackpot Mystic now has a "make as many as possible" option for the items he crafts. There should no longer be anything to whine about regarding the Crackpot Mystic.
- The problem with clan whitelist ranks and titles mysteriously disappearing should now be fixed.
November 16, 2006
- There is a new inventory option which allows you to unequip your familiar equipment when you click [unequip all] on the inventory page.
- There is now an option in the Account Menu to show the name of your currently equipped outfit on the left pane. (This feature does not work in compact mode.)
November 17, 2006
- There's a new system for transferring clan leadership when a leader gets deleted from inactivity or doesn't log on for a long, long time. Check this forum post for details.
- A bug that allowed clan leaders to boot themselves from their clan has been slain.
November 18, 2006
- Random interface upgrade: A small timer will now appear on the left side of the screen when it is less than 30 minutes 'til rollover.
- Numbered ascension tattoos should now be ordered correctly on the Manage Tattoos page.
November 21, 2006
- It's Clantastic Tuesday! The way clan buffs work has been changed, and a few new types of buff have been added. There have also been a bunch of visual and organizational improvements to the clan hall interface in general.
November 26, 2006
- Backslashes now work in chat.
November 28, 2006
- The Haunted Pantry, The Sleazy Back Alley, and the Outskirts of Cobb's Knob have all been renovated. Some streamlining, some new mini-quests, various and sundry improvements.
November 30, 2006
- December's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
Also, the first part of the Crimboween event has begun. Check your campsite to see if anything has spookily materialized there.
Also also, due to the scope (and gradually-unfolding nature) of the Crimboween stuff, we're going to take a break from our regular Tuesday updates for the rest of December.
- Heart necklaces are now a free pull from Hagnk's.
December 15, 2006
- Player names in clan log entries will be, from this point forward, links to the player's profile.
December 18, 2006
- The way the stat day calculation works has been changed slightly. It no longer always rounds up. There is no longer any advantage to using 200 Meat at a time in the Hall of Legends, so please stop doing that.
- Most familiar actions during fights are now accompanied by a little picture of the familiar.
December 22, 2006
December 23, 2006
- Starting tomorrow, the tiny plastic skeletal reindeer will properly give an adventure at rollover.
December 24, 2006
- Uncle Crimbo is back from his tropical vacation, and he brought presents!
Check your inventory for holiday goodness. It'll be buried in the giant and cumbersome Miscellaneous section.
December 29, 2006
- You can now change the order in which your trophies are displayed.
- A clover adventure has been added (sort of at the last minute) to the Crimborg Collective Factory.
December 31, 2006
- Happy New Year! Our resolution this year is to deliver each and every one of 2007's Items-of-the-Month on time.
|History of Loathing||2003||2004||2005||2006||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018||2019||2020|