|In darkness is strength|
Thrill me, chill me, fulfill me
Creature of the night.
Attacks enemies, especially effectively when the moons are darkest
|Ultimate Cage Match||Scavenger Hunt||Obstacle Course||Hide and Seek|+15% Meat Drop 4-5 MP +4 Muscle statgain +15% Item Drop +4 Mysticality statgain 8-10 HP +2 Moxie statgain Staggers* Boosts combat Initiative Deals damage & 10% Delevel* *Hover for details
|Cannot breathe underwater|
- Regular messages:
- <name> attempts to bite it, but misses.
- <name> bites it for X damage.
- When there is too much moonlight:
- <name> cowers, shielding its eyes against the bright light.
- Enthroned in the Crown of Thrones:
- <name> lets loose a terrifying screech, scaring about 20-25 or so points of bejeezus out of him.
- Bjornified in the Buddy Bjorn:
- <name> does... something... to your opponent. You missed seeing what actually happens, but your foe appears to have takes20-25 damage from whatever it was.
- With lucky Tam O'Shanter equipped:
- <name> latches its teeth onto your slain foe's wallet and spits out some extra meat.
- With miniature gravy-covered maypole equipped:
- You think you see <name> dancing around the maypole, but it's too dark to really tell.
- With wax lips equipped:
- A gleam of white (and bright red) in the dark indicate that <name> is smiling with his wax lips.
- When entered in a Scavenger Hunt:
- <name>'s vision isn't very good in this light. Or any light, for that matter.
- The Grue will attack if there are 5 units of moonlight or less, meaning it can attack during 71.590% of the moon cycle.
- The Grue's damage equation consists of two parts: weight and moonlight. Its weight-based damage ranges from (weight/2) to (weight). Its light-based damage ranges from (9.5 - 1.5 × X) to (17 - 3 × X), where X is the number of lit moon segments.
- When it can attack, the grue will attempt to attack every round. The grue will hit 10% + 10 × (ceiling(weight/4))%, regardless of moonlight. At 33 pounds, the grue will not miss.
- In the game Zork if you were in a dark area without a source of light, you were likely to be eaten by a Grue.
- Grues first appeared in the Dying Earth series of books by Jack Vance, and were later incorporated into the Zork series of games.
- The last two lines of this familiar's haiku are lyrics from the refrain of the song Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me from the The Rocky Horror Picture Show: "Touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me / I wanna be dirty / Thrill me, chill me, fulfill me / Creature of the night."
- The reference to white and bright red in the dark may be a reference to the opening scene of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, where a mouth with bright white teeth and bright red lips on a black background sings "Science Fiction Double Feature".