Grey You is the Spring 2022 special challenge path, introduced on February 15, 2022. This path adds variant rules and restrictions to an ascension run. Its description in The Bureau of Reincarnation reads "Resistance is goo-tile."
- Your adventure begins with Your Friend Goo.
- You cannot consume things to gain Adventures, instead you absorb the item you attempt to consume.
- "You absorb the...."
- Your maximum HP and MP are not tied to Muscle and Mysticality, respectively. Instead, absorbing food grants you +2 maximum HP, booze gives you +2 maximum MP, and spleen items give you +1 maximum HP and +1 maximum MP. You do not gain stats, adventures, a consumption record, or anything else by absorbing consumables (e.g. you will not gain Breathitin™ charges). Absorbing muffins and other valuables will destroy them! However, eating black pudding can still cause a combat encounter.
- Although you cannot normally consume food, booze, or spleen items, you still have the normal 14 liver. Dungeons of Doom potions can still increase your drunkenness, and will not send you to Drunken Stupor until you exceed the normal 14/14 drunkenness.
- Each item can only be absorbed once in a Grey Goo lifetime. "You've already absorbed this pattern of atoms."
- You cannot consume things from NPC stores, such as Chez Snootée or the Hobo Marketplace, or through non-standard consumption, such as sushi:
- You are too gooey to eat here!
- You roll up some delicious sushi, and then remember that you've chosen to forsake food during this lifetime. You unroll it and put the ingredients away.
- Instead, adventure generation is mostly gained through monster absorptions (see below)
- Upon freeing King Ralph you must choose a class. Your stats are set to 0, meaning that you will be level 1 after completing the challenge run. In addition, you will gain <max capacity> to fullness, drunkenness, and spleen, also if you have more than 40 adventures remaining, you will be reduced to 40.
- If you gained any amount of fullness/drunkenness/spleen during the run, those numbers are remembered, allowing you to become overfull or falling-down drunk, etc.
You have no mainstat, and the mechanics of stat gain have changed.
- You do not gain experience from other sources, including consumables, usable items (like Baseball), combat encounters, non-combat adventures (such as That's a Tidy Bowl, Man! or The Institute for Canadian Studies) or The Shore, Inc. Travel Agency.
- After winning a combat against a monster your nanites will automatically absorb the remains of your opponent (not to be confused with food/booze/spleen absorptions)
- Most monsters give +1 full stats to Muscle, Mystically, or Moxie
- Some monsters have give unique effects the first time they are absorbed per ascension (adventures, more stats, hp/mp)
- The Grey Goose familiar lets you Re-Process Matter to absorb a select monster a second time in an ascension, providing the same unique benefit twice.
|Unique Absorbs -- Stats|
- You start with only one path specific skill: Pseudopod Slap
- Further skills are gained by post combat absorption.
- Non-goo skills are not accessible, and you can't use skillbooks such as the Emotion chip. ("This is not how grey goo acquires knowledge.")
Skills in Grey You are gained by defeating certain monsters. There are 63 in total numbered 27000 -27062.
|Pseudopod Slap||Combat||Deals 10 damage (1 MP)||Starting skill|
|Hardslab||Combat||Deal your Muscle in physical damage. (1 MP)||Remaindered skeleton|
|Telekinetic Murder||Combat||Deal your Mysticality in physical damage (1 MP)||Crêep|
|Snakesmack||Combat||Deal your Moxie in physical damage (1 MP)||Sewer snake with a sewer snake in it|
|Ire Proof||Passive||Serious Hot Resistance (+3)||Raging bull|
|Nanofur||Passive||Serious Cold Resistance (+3)||Ratbat|
|Autovampirism Routines||Passive||Serious Spooky Resistance (+3)||Spooky vampire|
|Conifer Polymers||Passive||Serious Stench Resistance (+3)||Pine bat|
|Anti-Sleaze Recursion||Passive||Serious Sleaze Resistance (+3)||werecougar (formerly creepy clown)|
|Microburner||Passive||+5 Hot Damage||Cobb's Knob oven|
|Cryocurrency||Passive||+5 Cold Damage||Knob Goblin MBA|
|Curses Library||Passive||+5 Spooky Damage||Lihc|
|Exhaust Tubules||Passive||+5 Stench Damage||Beanbat|
|Camp Subroutines||Passive||+5 Sleaze Damage||Knob Goblin Harem Girl|
|Grey Noise||Combat||Deals 5 damage plus any bonus elemental damage you have (3 MP)||Boss Bat|
|Advanced Exo-Alloy||Passive||Damage Absorption +100||Knob Goblin Elite Guard|
|Localized Vacuum||Passive||So-So Hot Resistance (+2)||Cubist bull|
|Microweave||Passive||So-So Cold Resistance (+2)||eXtreme cross-country hippy|
|Ectogenesis||Passive||So-So Spooky Resistance (+2)||Claybender Sorcerer Ghost|
|Clammy Microcilia||Passive||So-So Stench Resistance (+2)||Malevolent hair clog|
|Lubricant Layer||Passive||So-So Sleaze Resistance (+2)||Oil slick|
|Infernal Automata||Passive||+10 Hot Damage||Demonic icebox|
|Cooling Tubules||Passive||+10 Cold Damage||Ninja Snowman Weaponmaster|
|Ominous Substrate||Passive||+10 Spooky Damage||Animated ornate nightstand|
|Secondary Fermentation||Passive||+10 Stench Damage||Drunk goat|
|Procgen Ribaldry||Passive||+10 Sleaze Damage||Smut orc screwer|
|Solid Fuel||Passive||+10 Adventure(s) per day||Knob Goblin Alchemist|
|Autochrony||Passive||+10 Adventure(s) per day||Zombie waltzers|
|Temporal Hyperextension||Passive||+10 Adventure(s) per day||Pr Imp|
|Propagation Drive||Passive||+20% Item Drops from Monsters||Junksprite bender|
|Financial Spreadsheets||Passive||+40% Meat from Monsters||me4t begZ0r|
|Phase Shift||Noncombat|| Gives Effect: Shifted Phase (10 Adventures)
Monsters will be much less attracted to you (50 MP)
|Piezoelectric Honk||Noncombat|| Gives Effect: Hooooooooonk!
Monsters will be much more attracted to you (50 MP)
|Overclocking||Passive||+X% Combat Initiative (Scales with your Muscle)||Big Wheelin' Twins|
|Subatomic Hardening||Passive||Damage Reduction: X (Scales with your Muscle)||Pooltergeist|
|Gravitational Compression||Passive||+Y% Item Drops from Monsters (Scales with your Mysticality)||Suckubus|
|Hivemindedness||Passive||Regenerate Y MP per Adventure (Scales with your Mysticality)||Mind flayer|
|Ponzi Apparatus||Passive||+Z% Meat from Monsters (Scales with your Moxie)||Anglerbush|
|Fluid Dynamics Simulation||Passive||Regenerate 8 HP per Adventure (Scales with your Moxie)||Carnivorous Moxie Weed|
|Nantlers||Combat||Deals your Muscle in damage (includes bonus damage) (5 MP)||Stuffed moose head|
|Nanoshock||Combat||Deals your Mysticality in damage (includes bonus damage) (5 MP)||Jacob's adder|
|Audioclasm||Combat||Deals your Moxie in damage (includes bonus damage) (5 MP)||Spooky music box|
|System Sweep||Combat|| Deal your Muscle in physical damage
If this defeats the enemy, it is banished for the rest of the day (20 MP)
|Double Nanovision||Combat|| Deal your Mysticality in physical damage
If this defeats the enemy, get +100% item drops for this fight (20 MP)
|Infinite Loop||Combat|| Deal your Moxie in physical damage
If this defeats the enemy, you gain 1 muscle, mysticality and moxie (20 MP)
|Pygmy witch lawyer|
|Photonic Shroud||Noncombat|| Gives Effect: Darkened Photons (10 Adventures)
Monsters will be much less attracted to you (40 MP)
|Unused Combat Selfbuff|
|Steam Mycelia||Passive||+15 Hot Damage||Steam elemental|
|Snow-Cooling System||Passive||+15 Cold Damage||Snow Queen|
|Legacy Code||Passive||+15 Spooky Damage||Possessed wine rack|
|AUTOEXEC.BAT||Passive||+15 Stench Damage||Flock of Stab-bats|
|Innuendo Circuitry||Passive||+15 Sleaze Damage||Astronomer|
|Subatomic Tango||Passive||+15 Adventure(s) per day||Fan dancer|
|Extra Innings||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||baseball bat|
|Reloading||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||Bullet Bill|
|Harried||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||rushing bum|
|Temporal Bent||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||undead elbow macaroni|
|Provably Efficient||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||Sub-Assistant Knob Mad Scientist|
|Basic Improvements||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||BASIC Elemental|
|Shifted About||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||shifty pirate|
|Spooky Veins||Passive||+10 Adventure(s) per day||ghost miner|
|Seven Foot Feelings||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||dopey 7-Foot Dwarf|
|Self-Actualized||Passive||+5 Adventure(s) per day||banshee librarian|
Each normal (softcore) Grey You ascension increases your initial stats by 1 each and your maximum HP and MP by 3. Each hardcore Grey You grants twice those values. Stat progression is maxed out at 11 runs, capping at 11 stats and 33 HP/MP.
- Grey Goo can't be accepted into any of the guilds. You will not be able to use a guild to unlock any quests or areas.
- Grey Goo cannot enter The Sea. Clicking An Old Man gives the following message:
That shack you saw on the main map was just a picture of a shack drawn on the ground.
- Standard restrictions applied while Grey You was the current challenge path. These restrictions were lifted on May 15, 2022.
See The Council of Loathing/Grey You
Breadth-first traversal; one-time adventure absorptions await in most zones, so roaming far and wide is the key to early turngen (and early class skill acquisition).
Early access to higher level zones is useful for learning the more powerful and useful skills. The Infinite Loop skill will enable quick levelling and is attainable early on by using the combat lover's locket or other wishing mechanic. If it is within means, it may also pay to spit on and yellow ray the pygmy for essentially 4 free pygmy fights in the form of writs of habeas corpus.
The lack of hero key generation (other than dungeon) means that alternative methods of key acquisition may need to be employed for sub 3-day runs. Possible methods include reminiscing a fantasy bandit and copying 4 additional for a fat loot token. Alternatively using the full-length mirror to chance a copy of zappable Vending Machine accessories.
- A class tattoo is obtained when starting the path.
- Players will receive a Thwaitgold protozoa statuette each time they complete a run.
- Finishing a Grey You run while it is the current special challenge path -- between February 15th, 2022, and May 15th, 2022-- gives players 50 (in Normal) or 100 (in Hardcore) extra karma points the next time they visit Valhalla.
- Did not reward bonus karma until 23rd February 2022.
- On 2022/02/25, ten new skills were added to the path and all adventure giving absorbs were changed via an announcement:
- "The rewards of a handful of Grey You Challenge Path encounters have been altered: more +rollover adventure skills are now available, but instant turn yields are a bit lower on the high end."
- Several monsters that used to give one-time adventure drops now gave skills that give rollover adventures
- Furthermore, the remaining adventure absorptions from monsters were changed from the categories 5,10,15, 20 to 5,7,10
- Prior to 2022/05/21, completing a Grey You ascension did not set your organs to max capacity, allowing an exploity method of farming that involved scripting one-day runs that had 300+ extra adventures in addition to empty organs. It was fun while it lasted.
- On 2022/07/01, it was no longer possible to use non-standard consumption methods to use organ space to gain adventures... for the Grey Goo challenge path, instead of Grey You. This was corrected on 2022/07/02.
|Special Challenge Paths|