Great Wolf of the Air (Hard Mode)
|Great Wolf of the Air|
|Resistance||(50+5*(number of kisses))%|
You enter the clearing and find it empty, to your great relief. You lay down in the soft grass and stare up at the moon and the stars. It's beautiful. It's... interrupted by a shadow passing in front of the moon.
You stand up for a closer look (but then realize that standing up, although it technically puts your eyes closer to the moon, is probably not going quite far enough to make a difference) and hear a faint beating of wings.
The beating gets closer, in more ways than one, and a giant winged werewolf does that awesome three-point landing thing on the ground in front of you.
He stands up and snarls at you. A driving synthesizer soundtrack begins to play from somewhere.
The Great Wolf of the Air sees your moon-amber pendant, howls wildly, and pulls out a rocket launcher.
He picks you up, flies into the air, and drops you to the ground as though you were a laser-guided Paveway bomb.Ooh! Ugh! Ow! Ugh! Ouch! Ooh! Ouch! Ow! Ooh! Argh!
He kicks you in the <ear> with the force of an AGM-12 Bullpup missile.Ouch! Argh! Eek! Ow! Oof! Ooh! Ouch! Ow! Argh! Ugh!
A horn section joins the soundtrack and knocks you on your ass with a wall of sound.Ugh! Ouch! Ugh! Eek! Ooh! Eek! Ooh! Ooh! Argh! Ouch!
He takes a deep breath, leaps into the air and ascends to his flight ceiling of 100,000 feet. Then he dive bombs you from up there.Eek! Ouch! Eek! Ouch! Eek! Ugh! Ooh! Oof! Argh! Ow!
He punches you in the <arse>. It hurts worse than being simultaneously shot with four 50-caliber BMG chain guns.Eek! Oof! Argh! Ugh! Ugh! Oof! Ow! Oof! Eek! Ouch!
He grabs you by the neck and demands to know what you've done with his brother. You tell him you've no idea what he's talking about, and he slugs you in the <arse>.Ouch! Oof! Ugh! Argh! Eek! Oof! Argh! Argh! Ooh! Oof!
The Great Wolf of the Air swoops down on you and fires an adventurer-seeking missile. It works as advertised. Ow! Ooh! Argh! Eek! Ugh! Ugh! Oof! Argh! Ouch! Ooh!
The Great Wolf of the Air turns you into a rocketman by firing a rocket at you. Okay, so less "rocketman" and more "pile of wet, squishy people parts." Oof! Ouch! Ooh! Oof! Argh! Eek! Argh! Eek! Oof! Ow!
He leaps into the air to attack you, but ends up having to dodge a bunch of anti-air flak instead, because he forgot to turn on his radar jammer first.
He gets momentarily distracted, thinking about his old friend Twinebuddy Eagle. ...What the heck kind of name is "Twinebuddy"?
He flies away to a nearby cave, and returns munching on a ham sandwich. Guess he had to refuel.
Instead of attacking you, he pulls a cello from behind a nearby tree and plays a mournful tune. He has a sensitive side!
He tries to slash you across the skull with his claws, but instead just releases some chaff. He must have hit the wrong button.
He fires a bunch of missiles at you, but you release chaff cannisters to confuse their guidance systems. Wait -- where did you get chaff cannisters?
He leaps into the air and tries to ascend past 11,000 feet, but can't, because he forgot to take a deep breath first. (FUMBLE!)
The Great Wolf of the Air a Massively Maiming Orbital Rocket-Propelled Grenade at you. Yikes!
The Great Wolf of the Air fires a rocket at the ground beneath your feet. The explosion doesn't hurt, but the ensuing fall from great height certainly does.
The Great Wolf of the Air rocks you to the core with a rocket to your <elbow>.
The Great Wolf of the Air fires a few dis missiles, which explode with negative energy.
|An item drops: Great Wolf's headband|
|An item drops: Great Wolf's right paw|
|An item drops: Great Wolf's left paw|
|An item drops: Great Wolf's lice|
|An item drops: Great Wolf's rocket launcher|
|An item drops: Great Wolf's beastly trousers|
|An item drops: 1-4 Hunger™ Sauce|
|You acquire a clan trophy:||Great Sheep's Clothing|
|You gain ??? <substat>.|
- This monster cannot be copied.
- To fight the Great Wolf of the Air in hard mode, you need to wear a moon-amber necklace into combat. The necklace will be consumed if (and only if) you win, with this message:
- The Great Wolf of the Air emits an ear-splitting final howl. Your necklace shatters like a champagne flute in a Memorex commercial.
- He alternates between a major attack that deals close to your max HP and a regular attack. Only Damage Reduction will reduce the damage from the special attack. The major attack starts at your max HP + 50 and increases in damage each time by 30, eventually exceeding however much DR you brought.
- The smaller attack is based on regular monster attack, buffing moxie above his attack severely reduces the damage, while DA and your high DR are also helpful as expected.
- The 30 DR from Jarlsberg's pan does not work, even in the first round.
- To defeat this enemy, cap your DR to survive his strong physical attack. Funksling a full healer and a combat item (preferably one that does elemental damage) after strong attacks.
- The number of bottles of Hunger™ Sauce depends on the total number of kisses across all zones of the Dreadsylvania instance as with the regular boss. You get one additional Hunger™ Sauce for killing the boss in Hard Mode.
- Stats at 1 kisses: 2000 attack, 2000 defense, 6000 HP.
- Stats at 2 kisses: 2500 attack, 2500 defense, 8000 HP.
- Stats at 3 kisses: 3000 attack, 3000 defense, 10000 HP.
- Stats at 4 kisses: 3500 attack, 3500 defense, 12000 HP.
- Stats at 5 kisses: 4000 attack, 4000 defense, 14000 HP.
- Stats at 6 kisses: 4500 attack, 4500 defense, 16000 HP.
- The Great Wolf of the Air has (at least) four phases of damage reduction:
- First, a percentage reduction is applied to elemental damage. This reduction is (50+5*K)% where K is the number of kisses (e.g. 60% reduction at 2 kisses).
- Second, a soft damage cap is applied. The soft cap (C) is 550-50*K. If an attack would do more than C damage, then the soft cap reduces this to (D - C)0.75 + C where D is the damage after elemental resistance.
- Third, a hard damage cap is applied to elemental damage. This is not yet known at all kiss values; it is 634 damage at 2 kisses.
- Finally, a hard damage cap of 400 is applied to physical damage.
- If you prefer a single formula, the actual damage The Great Wolf of the Air takes is (550-50*(number of kisses))+floor(((.5-.05*(number of kisses))*x-(550-50*(number of kisses)))^.75).
- Will drop a second hard-mode-exclusive loot if a total of ~18 000 kisses have been earned in this dungeon before fighting him.
- The monster is one big reference to the TV series Airwolf and its titular helicopter.
- The weapons described in the monster's hit messages (AGM-12 Bullpup missiles, 50-caliber BMG chainguns, etc.) are Airwolf's weapons from the show, and its pressurized flight ceiling was 100,000 feet.
- The search for Stringfellow Hawke's brother was part of the show's overall story arc.
- The special attack where he fires a rocket under your feet that doesn't directly damage you is a parody of rocket jumping, a tactic in many FPS games where you blast the ground under your feet with explosives to launch yourself into the air (somehow, you don't die in the process).
- "Massively Maiming Orbital Rocket-Propelled Grenade" abbreviates to MMORPG.