G-Lover is the Summer 2018 special challenge path, introduced on May 15, 2018. This path adds variant rules and restrictions to an ascension run. Its description in The Bureau of Reincarnation reads, "You love 'G'! Any item, effect or skill without a 'G' in it just doesn't do anything for you."
- Items, effects, skills, and familiars without the letter "G" in their name can not be used.
- You can not use G-less items from inventory. Trying gives the message:
- You are too in love with G to use that item right now.
- Note this prohibition only bans direct item use. For example, ten-leaf clovers will still trigger clover adventures.
- You can not use G-less combat items.
- You may wear G-less equipment, but standardized enchantments on such equipment do not function.
- Hardcoded and quest-related attributes of equipment and outfits (such as allowing access to zones) still function.
- G-less effects do not grant their standardized enchantments.
- Quest-related effect checks still function normally. For example, having Thrice-Cursed still allows access to the Thrice-Cursed Penthouse, but the effect does not inflict its stat-reduction enchantment.
- G-less combat and non-combat skills are unavailable. Trying gives the message:
- That skill has no G in it, you decided to pass for now.
- However, passive skills appear to function normally.
- You can not select familiars that lack a "G" in their type name. Trying gives the message:
- You love G too much to adventure with that familiar.
- Standard restrictions apply while G-Lover is the current challenge path. These restrictions were lifted on August 15, 2018.
- Your adventure begins with You Love Gs.
- You begin your run with 3 Gs, which are quest items that can purchase items from G-Mart.
- You gain 1 G for each completed Normal G-Lover ascension and 2 Gs for each completed Hardcore G-Lover ascension, capped at 8 for a total of 11 Gs.
- Being unable to use G-less items requires taking several detours throughout the ascension.
- Attempting to bring an astral consumable without any Gs during reincarnation yields the following warning:
- Your purchase from the Deli may not be appropriate with this path. Are you sure that's what you want?
- Attempting to bring an astral pet without any Gs during reincarnation yields the following warning:
- Are you sure you want to reincarnate with that astral pet? It has no Gs.
- An Old Man, and therefore The Sea, is not available:
- That shack you saw on the main map was just a picture of a shack drawn on the ground.
You force yourself to use this G-less item and then beat yourself up over it.
- A select few items without the letter "G" can be used, in order to make finishing the ascension possible:
- For the Cobb's Knob map and both books, you will get the following message:
- Note, the enchanted bean can not be used from inventory. It can only be planted by clicking on the giant pile of coffee grounds.
- Finishing a G-Lover run that began while it was still the current special challenge path -- that is, between May 15th, 2018, and August 15th, 2018 -- gives players 100 (in Hardcore) or 50 (in Normal) extra karma points the next time they visit Valhalla.
- Finishing a G-Lover run will reward players with a Garland of Greatness, which can be upgraded for 10 times in total.
- Players will receive a Thwaitgold chigger statuette each time they complete a run.