Friday the 13th
| Today is Friday the 13th!|
Watch out! Bad things can happen on Friday the 13th.
On January 13, 2006, adventurers noticed that extra text appended to win messages of fights after a Friday the 13th message appeared at the bottom of the main map. The messages have continued each Friday the 13th since.
It is unknown at present if these text messages have any purpose other than amusement. They don't appear to affect the outcome of those fights and the appearance of the text appeared to be random.
- Friday the 13th I: January 13, 2006 (Starch 6, Year 12)
- Friday the 13th II: October 13, 2006 (Jarlsuary 7, Year 15)
- Friday the 13th III: April 13, 2007 (Dougtember 5, Year 16)
- Friday the 13th IV: July 13, 2007 (Boozember 8, Year 17)
- Friday the 13th V: June 13, 2008 (Martinus 8, Year 21)
- Friday the 13th VI: February 13, 2009 (Dougtember 5, Year 23)
- Friday the 13th VII: March 13, 2009 (April 1, Year 24)
- Friday the 13th VIII: April 1, 2009 (Bill 4, Year 24)
- Friday the 13th IX: November 13, 2009 (Porktober 6, Year 26)
- Friday the 13th X: August 13, 2010 (Petember 6, Year 27)
- Friday the 13th XI: May 13, 2011 (Bill 8, Year 28)
- Friday the 13th XII: January 13, 2012 (Jarlsuary 5, Year 35)
- Friday the 13th XIII: April 13, 2012 (Dougtember 8, Year 35)
- Friday the 13th XIV: July 13, 2012 (Dougtember 3, Year 36)
- Friday the 13th XV: September 13, 2013 (Martinus 6, Year 41)
- Friday the 13th XVI: December 13, 2013 (Martinus 1, Year 42)
- Friday the 13th XVII: June 13, 2014 (Starch 7, Year 44)
- Friday the 13th XVIII: February 13, 2015 (Porktober 4, Year 46)
- Friday the 13th XIX: March 13, 2015 (Jarlsuary 8, Year 47)
- Friday the 13th XX: November 13, 2015 (Petember 5, Year 49)
- Friday the 13th XXI: May 13, 2016 (Bor 3, Year 51)
- Friday the 13th XXII: January 13, 2017 (Jarlsuary 8, Year 54)
- Friday the 13th XXIII: October 13, 2017 (Dougtember 1, Year 56)
- Friday the 13th XXIV: April 13, 2018 (Porktober 7, Year 58)
- Friday the 13th XXV: July 13, 2018 (Porktober 2, Year 59)
- Friday the 13th XXVI: September 13, 2019 (Starch 5, Year 64)
- Friday the 13th XXVII: December 13, 2019 (Frankuary 8, Year 65)
- Friday the 13th XXVIII: March 13, 2020 (Frankuary 3, Year 66)
- Friday the 13th XXIX: November 13, 2020 (Petember 8, Year 68)
- Friday the 13th XXX: August 13, 2021 (Bor 1, Year 71) (predicted)
A black cat darts in front of you.
A murder of crows flies past in the sky.
After all that happens, you look down and notice a five-leaf clover.
Morty the Grave Digger passes by you.
You accidentally kick over a big can of salt that was sitting on the ground.
You discover yourself to be standing on a crack in the ground.
You hear a sickening *CRUNCH* as you accidentally step on a mirror on the ground.
You hear an owl hoot three times.
You look up and see a single magpie sitting in a tree, watching you with beady little eyes.
You notice a dead ladybug on the ground. You must have stepped on it during the fight.
You notice three chaos butterflies flying nearby.
You swagger away from the fight, directly under a ladder.
- If you have a Snowy Owl familiar equipped the message reads:
- <name> hoots ominously three times. Damn it.
- You can also get the hooting owl message without a Snowy Owl familiar equipped.
- If you break the giant mirror in the Sorceress's lair, you get a message saying:
- You get the feeling that maybe you shouldn't've done that. Damn it.
- If you include the Snowy Owl familiar message, there are 13 messages. Spooky!
- These messages also show up if you have the effect Bad Luck.
- "Watch out! Bad things can happen on Friday the 13th." is the line NetHack greets you with when starting or resuming a game on Friday the 13th
- Most, if not all, of the messages refer to superstitions regarding bad luck and Friday the 13th, the unluckiest day of them all.
- The magpie message references "magpie rhymes," for counting magpies, nearly all of which start with "one for sorrow." These are referenced in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
- The "After all that happens, you look down and notice a five-leaf clover" message is a reference to the "After all that happens, you look down and notice a ten-leaf clover" message which is occasionally received if you have The Marmot as your zodiac sign or if you have a lucky Crimbo tiki necklace equipped.
- Morty the Grave Digger is a character from The Curse of Monkey Island.