Your character in KoL increases in level when a certain score is reached in a given stat. In order to increase a stat that character must gain experience in the stat through adventures, booze, food, or spleen items (for more details, see Muscle Substat, Mysticality Substat and Moxie Substat).
Each class has a primary, secondary, and tertiary stat:
|Seal Clubber||Turtle Tamer||Pastamancer||Sauceror||Disco Bandit||Accordion Thief|
The amount of experience required to advance one point in a given stat is equal to 2n + 1, where n is the current score in the given stat. The experience points gained from battle are usually distributed in a 2:1:1 ratio; the main stat for the character's class receives the larger portion of the gains.
For example, if a player were to gain 16 stat points from a battle, the experience could be distributed as follows:
|Seal Clubber & Turtle Tamer||Pastamancer & Sauceror||Accordion Thief & Disco Bandit|
Many things can affect the way experience gained:
- The RNG is used to distribute the total stat points gained among the 3 stats, so they are rarely in a perfect 2:1:1 ratio.
- Refer to Monster Level for a list of all items and effects that raise Monster Level, and in turn, give more experience per fight.
- Refer to Stat Gains from Fights for a list of all items and effects that give more experience per fight.
- Refer to Stat gain multipliers for a list of all items and effects that increase experience gains from all sources.
Advancement Requirements Overview
This table shows how many stat points a character needs (in the primary stat) in order to advance to a certain level, and how many substat points are needed to achieve those stats.
To get to level x, you must get (x − 1)2 + 4 of your main stat. To get to main stat level y, you must get y2 total substats. As a result you need 2y + 1 substats for your next main stat increase.
The total substats required for level x are ((x-1)2+4)2 or, if you prefer, x4-4x3+14x2-20x+25.
To move from level x to level x + 1, you must gain 4x3 − 6x2 + 20x − 9 substats.
To move from mainstat a to mainstat b, you must gain b2-a2 substats.
Similarly to move from mainstat a to mainstat a+x, you must gain x2+2xa substats.
|Level||Achieved At Stat||Total Sub-Point Cost||From Last Level|
When you ascend you start with 9 substats in your primary stat, 4 in your secondary, and 1 in your tertiary, so you only need to gain 16 substats to reach level 2.
This is because your stats start at 3/2/1, and all stats start with no substat points.
- On June 3, 2005, the ratio in which substat points were normally distributed was changed from 3:2:2 to the current 2:1:1, which effectively increased the rate of leveling, while decreasing the rate of increase of secondary stats.
- It is possible to drive a stat down to 0 (by using a bottle of goofballs,
eating ghuol guolash,etc.). The game will display 1(0) in that instance.
- As a limitation of using 32-bit integers to store substats, the maximum level someone can attain is 256.
- The chart showing substats for each level in graphical form looks like this