The Master Of Thieves
| This page is in need of content.
|The Master Of Thieves|
|Locations||The Dungeons of Doom (ultra-rarely)|
Somehow, you've found yourself in The Shades, a giant prison colony underneath the Dungeons of Doom. Slinking around in the shadows is a guy calling himself the Master of Thieves. He's sneaky, smirking, and you're standing between him and glorious freedom. And most of your valuables.
The Master of Thieves hits! The Master of Thieves hits! Your purse feels lighter...Oof! Eek! Eek! Ugh! Ouch!
The Master of Thieves zaps a platinum wand! The bolt of fire hits you! You're on fire! A scroll labeled FOOBIE BLETCH catches fire and burns! A puce potion boils and explodes! Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! Argh! Ouch!
The Master of Thieves drinks a smoky potion! The Master of Thieves seems more experienced. The Master of Thieves hits! Oof! Ow!
He tries to stab you with his short sword, but you make short work of dodging.
The Master of Thieves drinks a puce potion! For some reason, the Master of Thieves's presence is known to you.
You feel aggravated at the Master of Thieves.
The Master of Thieves zaps a platinum wand! The bolt of fire hits you! You don't feel hot!
He tries to disappear, but you're standing on the staircase up and block his escape.
The Master of Thieves misses. The Master of Thieves misses.
The Master of Thieves zaps a crystal wand! The missiles bounce!
The Master of Thieves drinks a smoky potion! The Master of Thieves rises up, through the ceiling! Call a smoky potion - <text entry box> (FUMBLE!)
|You acquire an item: Platinum Yendorian Express Card (100% chance)*|
|You gain 14 <substat>.|
If you lose the fight:
|You acquire an item: consolation ribbon (100% chance)*|
- Resisting the bolt of fire does not require hot resistance.
- In NetHack, the Master of Thieves is the Tourist's quest nemesis. When defeated, he drops the "Platinum Yendorian Express Card", the Tourist's quest artifact, as well as the Bell of Opening, one of the three invocation artifacts required in order to obtain the Amulet of Yendor and ascend.
- Several details associated with the Master of Thieves within NetHack are themselves references to the The Colour of Magic; residing in an area called The Shades is one such detail.
- Many of the hit and miss messages refer to various items in NetHack, and most of the messages are taken directly from that game. The message 'your purse feels lighter...' refers to when a thieving monster (primarily a leprechaun) attacked the player - whenever they hit, they would steal a portion of the player's gold and teleport away. As for the multiple 'The Master of Thieves hits!/misses!' message, monsters with high dexterity could get in multiple attacks before the player. The results of an attack were listed simply as [monster] hits or misses. All items in NetHack are unidentified when a player first comes across them, so they would be referred to by their color or a randomly generated, meaningless name. In this case, the smoky potion is a potion of gain level and the puce potion is a potion of invisibility. In the potion miss or fumble message, the potions are the cursed versions. If a player has not identified an object but has a good idea of what the object is, usually from observing its effects, the player can name that object. Whenever said object is destroyed, the game prompts the player to name the object. As for the scroll, one of the random names is FOOBIE BLETCH. If the player is ever engulfed in fire, regardless of why, objects such as paper (scrolls) will catch fire and potions will boil and explode. If any bolt from a wand hits a wall, it will bounce.
- The miss message about blocking his escape portrays the tendency in NetHack of boss-type monsters to teleport to the up-stairs (and escape up the stairs if you follow them) and heal when they are injured, and the common tactic of standing on the stairs to prevent them from doing so, allowing them to be quickly dispatched.