After reaching level 5, The Council of Loathing sends you off on a task to neutralize The Knob Goblin King in Cobb's Knob.
- Adventure in the Harem until you acquire:
- Wear the veil and pants, use the perfume, and enter the Throne Room.
- Alternatively, if you have the outfit but no perfume, if you wear the outfit and then adventure in the Harem, you'll receive the same effect that the perfume provides, plus minor HP damage.
- In your Quest Log, under completed quests, you will see: "You have slain the Goblin King. Good job!"
We've gotten word, Adventurer, that the Knob Goblins, who normally keep to themselves over at Cobb's Knob, are planning a major military action against Seaside Town.
We need for you to go deep into the Knob, and nip this problem in the bud, so to speak, by neutralizing the Goblin King.
Our spies have determined that there is a secret entrance that will allow you to access the inside of the Knob. They recovered this map, but nobody knows how to read it.
You'll need to figure out how to decrypt the symbols on it if you're going to find that entrance. And be careful with it, Adventurer. Many Bothans died to... oh, wait, never mind. That was something else.
- Prior to opening Cobb's Knob:
You need to find your way into Cobb's Knob, Adventurer. Try looking around the Outskirts for a clue that might help you figure out that map we gave you.
We still need you to neutralize the Goblin King, Adventurer.
Thank you for slaying the Goblin King, Adventurer.
- "Many Bothans died to..." is a reference to the 1983 movie Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, in which Mon Mothma, the leader of the Rebel Alliance, reveals her plan for an attack on the new Death Star while the Emperor Palpatine is present: "The Emperor has made a critical error and the time for our attack has come. The data brought to us by the Bothan spies pinpoints the exact location of the Emperor's new battle station. We also know that the weapon systems of this Death Star are not yet operational. With the Imperial Fleet spread throughout the galaxy in a vain effort to engage us, it is relatively unprotected. But most important of all, we've learned that the Emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of the construction of this Death Star. Many Bothans died to bring us this information."
- The subtitle of the quest, "The Goblin Who Wouldn't Be King", is a reference to the Rudyard Kipling's short story "The Man Who Would Be King".
- The game Krakrox the Barbarian, a predecessor of KoL, also had a Goblin King.