You're fighting The Guy Made Of Bees
No sooner have the words escaped your lips than a harsh, buzzing drone fills the air. A honeybee crawls from the drain of the sink, followed by another, and soon a huge cloud of them swarms around you. The swarm coalesces into a roughly humanoid figure, a horrible parody of a man, formed from a densely-packed swarm of hovering, buzzing bees. A mouth-like hole opens in the figure's "head", and the droning of the swarm modulates into a harsh, grating voice: "We are Bees. We hate you."
Dang, man. You couldn't've summoned Beetlejuice instead? At least he was funny.
It punches you with a fist made of bees. It stings! Oof! Argh! Ouch! Oof! Eek! Ow! Eek! Ooh! Ouch! Ow!
The swarm grabs you in a beehug, which is like a bearhug but pointier. Ouch! Ow! Eek! Ooh! Ooh! Ouch! Ugh! Argh! Oof! Oof!
The swarm of bees envelops you, stinging viciously from all sides. Ugh! Argh! Ugh! Oof! Argh! Argh! Ouch! Ooh! Ouch! Ow!
The guy made of bees charges you. Man, this thing must weigh as much as The Hulk! Ugh! Ouch! Ouch! Ow! Ouch! Ooh! Eek! Argh! Ooh! Oof!
|You hold the mirror up in front of your opponent for a second, and then it slips out of your fingers and shatters on the ground at your feet. As this happens, each of the bees that comprise your opponent disintegrates, and they all fall to the ground in a puff of black and yellow. Pshew.
Occurs in The Haunted Bathroom every fifth time "Say Guy made of bees" is chosen from Having a Medicine Ball, if not already defeated.
- This monster cannot be copied.
- Does not appear in the Haunted Bathroom during the Bees Hate You special challenge path, but does show up in another place instead.
- Can only be easily defeated using an antique hand mirror.
- Using Pickpocket on this monster will yield a handful of bees about 10% of the time. The guy made of bee pollen, however, cannot be acquired through Pickpocket.
- If the Guy Made of Bees is not defeated during combat, whether from running away (with or without consuming an adventure) or being beaten up, you must say "Guy made of bees" another five times in order to summon him again.
- Cobain Dougans managed to defeat him without resorting to an antique hand mirror, but he was a level 117 Pastamancer when he did this. He also had a Levitating Potato as his familiar, to trip the Guy's devastating attacks.
- If you have Ambidextrous Funkslinging and use an antique hand mirror and the Mysterious Island Arena flyer you will instantly complete the side-quest and avoid being beaten up, as the Guy Made of Bees has a very high ML. This still works without the mirror -- the only downside is that you get Beaten Up. Be sure to use the antique hand mirror in the second slot, otherwise the mirror will kill the monster and the flyers will not be used.
- Another excellent tactic is to hit the Guy Made Of Bees with Entangling Noodles (or stunning items) to give you several turns to use the flyers and the antique hand mirror. If you have the navel ring of navel gazing, you can sometimes dodge the Guy's attacks, and may not need to resort to stunning.
- Oddly, this is not a reference to "Candyman." See Riff's comment on the matter.
- This opponent may be a reference to the Marvel supervillain Swarm, whose body was formed entirely of bees.
- The opponent's statement that "We are Bees" as well as the fact that he speaks in a "droning" voice is possibly a reference to the Borg's characteristic line in Star Trek, "We are the Borg."
- "We are Bees. We hate you" may also refer to the song "We Are Snakes And We Hate You," by Inverted Silence.
- Beetlejuice is a humorous film about an undead creature named Betelgeuse, who bills himself as a "bio-exorcist" and tries to drive away the living humans who have moved into a haunted house, disturbing the ghostly occupants. He is summoned (and subsequently dismissed) by saying his name three times.
- It may also reference the popular urban legend of "Bloody Mary", who is summoned upon saying her name a number of times, commonly 3 or 5.
- The message "Man, this thing must weigh as much as The Hulk!" refers to a humorous question which Jick and Co. found especially funny: "Who would win in a fight: the Incredible Hulk, or the Incredible Hulk's weight in bees?". Riff first quoted the line on the June 12, 2006, radio show, citing a Woot.com podcast as its source.
- The Guy's backstory is given in the "The Tale of the Mysterious Beekeeper," a Yuletide adventure.