TheKoLWiki is changing its look - find out more here!
The Crackpot Mystic's Shed
The Crackpot Mystic's Shed lies in the Forest Village and is the home of the Crackpot Mystic. When you visit him, he tries to tell you his story...
|Well hello, young adventurer. You look like an intelligent sort.
Would you like to hear a tale of a mystical realm which lies outside the confines of both time and space?
|No thanks, Mr. Crazy Man.|
- Well then. You can take your grounded-in-reality attitude and stuff it.
- Good day and good day.
|Sure, old man. Tell me all about it.|
- Then allow me to start my tale at the beginning, which is where tales should start, don't you think?
- What we see of reality, here in the Kingdom, is but a fraction of what truly exists.
- Long before the Times of Old, all was Void. And the Void was stumbled upon by an ancient race of trans-dimensional Beings.
- I know not what they called themselves, but I call them "The Designers."
- They created all that we see, through their mastery of a strange technology I refer to as "The Pixel."
- Do you believe me, young adventurer?
|Nope. I think you're insane.|
- Then I see I am wasting both of our time. I shall waste it no more. Jerk.
|Against my better judgment, yes.|
- I knew you would...
- I shall continue my tale, then.
- Many years ago, I stumbled upon an artifact of great mystery and power. Its power is exceeded only by its mystery, and by manipulating it, I was able to move outside of the Kingdom, and into a sort of border realm between our world and the world of the Designers.
- It is a strange and dangerous place, filled with an assortment of strange and dangerous creatures.
- For years I fought with and defeated these creatures, and became skilled, to a certain extent, in the manipulation of the Pixel.
- Alas, I have grown old. These brittle bones can no longer withstand the rigors of combat, and my supply of Pixels has dwindled to nothing.
- Will you pick up the torch, Adventurer? Will you journey into this realm so that I may continue my studies?
|I changed my mind. You're nuts.|
- Come back when you're less of a meanie.
|Er, sure, I guess so...|
- This artifact, when equipped, will allow you to enter the 8-Bit Realm.
- Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten where the door to this realm lies.
- Oh well, I'm sure you'll find it.
|You acquire an item: continuum transfunctioner|
Items the Mystic Can Craft
blue pixel potion
|3||2||0||0||0||0||Usable Item||Gain 50-80 MP|
|0||0||0||0||30||0||Opens a door at the perplexing door|
green pixel potion
|4||0||3||0||0||0||Usable Item||Gain 40-60 HP & 30-40 MP|
|0||0||0||20||15||0||Accessory||Combat Encounters +5%|
|10||20||0||0||10||0||Boomerang||Power: 50, Items from Monsters +5%|
|0||0||15||0||10||0||Hat||Power: 50, All Attributes +2|
|10||0||0||20||0||0||Pants||Power: 50, HP/MP +10|
|10||0||0||20||10||0||Shield||Damage Reduction: 3, Muscle +5|
|10||10||0||0||20||0||Sword||Power: 50, Combat Initiative +15%|
purple pixel pie
|0||2||0||2||5||0||Food||3-6 Adventures, +12-18 each substat, (3 fullness)|
red pixel potion
|3||0||0||2||0||0||Usable Item||Gain 100-120 HP|
|0||0||0||0||0||10||Whip||Power: 10, All Attributes +3|
|0||1||1||1||0||0||Used to make other pixel items|
After beating all four bosses from the zones in the Crackpot Mystic's Psychoses some new items become craftable:
pixel energy tank
|0||40||0||0||10||0||Usable Item||Gain 1,000 HP & 1,000 MP|
pixel grappling hook
|50||0||0||0||50||0||Off-Hand Item||Combat Initiative +40%, +10% Items from Monsters|
|0||0||0||20||20||0||Usable Item||Resets The Crackpot Mystic's Psychoses|
Once a player ascends these items get removed from the list of craftable items until the four bosses are beaten again.
- With the continuum transfunctioner equipped, you can access the Inexplicable Door.
- If you utilize lag to try and make something with insufficient pixels, you get the following message:
- The Crackpot Mystic takes your Pixels and creates some items.
- (less than one, something's wrong here)
- In a Zombie Slayer run, the Mystic has been affected, but can still craft with pixels:
|You acquire an item: continuum transfunctioner|
- Until November 9, 2006, The Crackpot Mystic's Shed was located in the upper-left corner of the Wrong Side of the Tracks, using the following image.
- The pixel whip and the brown pixel were added June 15, 2010, as part of the antique 8-Bit Power magazine content.
- On October 28, 2010, the Mystic gained several neighbors as a result of the skeleton invasion.
- On January 8, 2013, backend changes were made to The Crackpot Mystic's Shed. The crafting interface was changed to use new pixel images in a more grid-like configuration, with pixel names removed.
- On December 9, 2014, changes were made to The Crackpot Mystic's Shed. The crafting interface was changed to show the things you don't have enough pixels for him to make.
- The blue, green, and red pixel potions are references to the blue, green, and red potions from The Legend of Zelda game, except that the blue pixel potion and green pixel potion's restorative abilities are switched.
- The pixel colors refer to the color of the lights in a computer/television screen; the white pixel recipe is a reference to the composition of white on a computer/television screen, which is a combination of red, green, and blue.
- Early 8-bit machines typically were capable of displaying just eight colors, based on the three color signals of the chip:
R G B 0 0 0 Black 0 0 1 Blue 0 1 0 Green 0 1 1 Cyan 1 0 0 Red 1 0 1 Magenta (Fuchsia) 1 1 0 Yellow 1 1 1 White
- Surprisingly, Jick hasn't used Yellow or Cyan in the 8-bit realm, and used Purple rather than Fuchsia, probably for added alliterative appeal.