The Council of Loathing are the folks that run the Kingdom of Loathing, with the current King of Loathing being otherwise occupied in being kidnapped by the Naughty Sorceress. The Council convenes in Seaside Town, where they send adventurers on quests around the Kingdom depending on their levels.
An adventurer who has completed all quests from the council available to them will be told the following:
- Unfortunately, there are no more tasks required of you by the Council at this time. Return later, when you are more experienced.
In addition, level 1 players who have completed the Toot Oriole Quest will receive the following helpful advice on becoming stronger:
- You could check out the Outskirts of Cobb's Knob, in the Nearby Plains.
- Or maybe the Haunted Pantry is more your style -- you can find it on the Right Side of the Tracks.
- Another option is The Sleazy Back Alley, on the Wrong Side of the Tracks. But you didn't hear it from us.
For those on the Zombie Slayer special challenge path, things are... a little different.
- Level 1 - Toot Oriole Quest - After you ascend, the Council will still send you to visit the Oriole, but you do not need to complete this quest again. If you return to the Council before reading the letter from King Ralph XI, the Council will remind you about it:
- Welcome, Adventurer! It looks like you've got some business to take care of before we put you to work. Some mail to read, perhaps?
- Adventurer! Now that you're getting a little stronger, you should really consider joining your class's Guild. Head over to the Brotherhood of the Smackdown|League of the Chef-Magi|Department of Shadowy Arts and Crafts, on the Right|Wrong Side of the Tracks, and talk to Gunther|Gorgonzola|Shifty.
- If a quest is available to take, the Council will turn on the Adventurer-signal.
- The Council does not activate the Adventurer-signal when you are ready to go after the Naughty Sorceress.
- The council adjourned during the rise of the Penguin Mafia. The council's words during this time have been lost to the sands of time, and not because of the activities of wholesome, good-natured penguins.
- On the 32nd of October 2005 (1st November), it was announced that this Council "had some news." Upon paying them a visit, they send you on a quest to rid the land of The Gray Plague (no level requirement). On November 7th, the quest was closed without an announcement.
- Just before the implementation of NS13 (and a little bit afterwards, due to a bug), an adventurer who was level 11 or 12 and had completed all quests up to that point would get the message:
- Unfortunately, there are no more tasks required of you by the Council at this time. Return later, when more content has been added.