The Caliginous Abyss
|| There are some vague or non-exact figures and information on this page. Some spading is required.
How many turns to find mom? How much do the underwear, jumper and comb jelly speed it up?
is located on The Sea Floor
. You must be wearing the black glass
A primary stat of 600 is suggested. If your main stat isn't high enough, you'll see the following message:
(It is recommended that you have at least 600 <mainstat> to adventure here.)
- This zone might be too tough for you.
| Peanut -- (edit metadata)
- Item Drops: peanut sauce
- Meat Drop: unknown
- Monster Level: 650 • Substat Gain: 162.5 • Moxie for No Hit*: 660
- Monster Defense: 700
- Hit Points: 1200
- Initiative: 75
- Elemental Alignment: None
- Damage Resistance: 25% elemental
- This is an underwater zone with extreme pressure. It features all the restrictions and special mechanics of underwater adventuring. Amongst other things, this means this zone has a -200% penalty to meat drops and item drops.
- Until you find Mom, one of the following messages may appear at the end of each combat:
- The walls of this part of the cave are covered in ancient, eldritch runes. You can't read any of it, except for one patch that looks much fresher than the rest, as if it were just scratched into the wall: "WEAR CLEAN UNDERPANTS IN CASE YOU'RE IN AN ACCIDENT."
- There's a deep thrumming noise coming from this part of the cave, a bass that rattles your sternum and would make your eyes water if you weren't already underwater. A manta ray twice your size swims up and spreads its fins wide. Across his back is written the non sequitur "COMB YOUR HAIR. YOU LOOK LIKE A HIPPY."
- There's a low, pulsating rumbling in this part of the cave, as if the devil himself was doing a dubstep DJ set down in Hey Deze. You listen until the rumbling starts to sound like someone droning, "BLEED FOR MOTHER." Then you decide you should probably keep moving.
- You see a message scratched in the wall, hastily carved with fingernails or claws in letters a foot tall. It reads, "MOTHER OH GOD MOTHER BLOOD." That's not a good sign.
- You see a big fish come swimming toward you. It's almost the size of a person--oh, weird. As it swims past, you see it's actually you, and the other you doesn't look like it's having a good time. Freaky, man.
- You trip on a broken doll lying on the floor of the cave. It looks like a crude representation of a Sea Monkee, but with black buttons for eyes. It seems like it's twitching slightly, or maybe it's just the current down here--either way, you're eager to keep moving away from it.
- A school of tiny glowing jellyfish swim up to you. They swim around your head for a second, then take positions and spell out a message: "WEAR A SWEATER OR YOU'LL CATCH YOUR DEATH OF COLD." Weird.
- A pilot-fish comes swimming at you, holding a green, guttering lantern in each of its big, beefy arms(?). It turns and grunts, "Keep watching the traffic cones," as it swims by. Okay, man, this place is seriously weird.
- The rock on the floor of the cave has deep impressions gouged into it, as if the cave floor had been a superhighway for all manner of tentacled, clawed things. Just looking at it makes you shiver a little.
- An enormous fish swims toward you, swishing silently through the water. As it comes closer, you see it has an elongated, twisted human face, its mouth open in a silent scream. Yipe.
- You swim into a part of the cave that's dimly lit by phosphorescent algae. They're growing in fractal patterns that make your head ache a bit. Then you see a little patch that clearly spells out, "MOTHER KNOWS BEST" in creepy squiggly letters. Gah.
- The ground in the cave turns kind of squishy, which isn't pleasant, then kind of warm and pulsating and squishy, which is even less pleasant. You swim up to the roof of the cave, which is equally gross, and decide to just keep pressing forward.
- An octopus swims by you, holding a twisted obsidian dagger in each of its eight arms. Fighting the hair rising on the back of your neck, you swim deeper into the cave.
- Wearing a shark jumper is believed to suppress the "WEAR A SWEATER" message and may speed up finding Mom.
- Wearing scale-mail underwear is believed to suppress the "WEAR CLEAN UNDERPANTS" message and may speed up finding Mom.
- Using a comb jelly is believed to suppress the "COMB YOUR HAIR" message and may speed up finding Mom.
- Caliginous is an adjective that means means "dark, obscure; murky".
- The broken doll with black button eyes is a reference to the Neil Gaiman story Coraline.