A tattoo can be displayed on your character profile. Other than the Demon Tattoo's influence on the Burning, Man effect, tattoos have no in-game significance. You can select which tattoo you want to display to the public in your options menu.
There are currently regular tattoos and custom tattoos. As well, some players have received an extra blank tattoo from various unfinished outfits.
Seven of the regular tattoos are no longer obtainable:
- The Crimborg Tattoo, Snowman Tattoo, and Lollipop Tattoo require untradable outfits from past Crimbos.
- The Crimbo Beard Tattoo and Necbromancer Tattoo require untradable outfits from past clan dungeon bosses.
- The A. W. O. L. Tattoo and FDKOL tattoo require untradeable items from past world events.
You get these tattoos for choosing to be one of the following classes. In your first (newbie) lifetime, you get the tattoo automatically; in subsequent lifetimes, you get the tattoo when opening the letter from King Ralph XI. There are currently class tattoos. The Ghost of the English Language used to have a broken image for his tattoo, called "class8.gif".
|Seal Clubber||Turtle Tamer||Pastamancer|
|Sauceror||Disco Bandit||Accordion Thief|
|Avatar of Boris||Zombie Master||Avatar of Jarlsberg|
|Avatar of Sneaky Pete||Actually Ed the Undying||Cow Puncher|
|Beanslinger||Snake Oiler||Gelatinous Noob|
Each of these tattoos is obtained by visiting the Pretentious Artist while you are wearing the appropriate outfit. You must have completed the Pretentious Artist Quest in order to obtain them. There are currently outfit tattoos.
There are currently ascension tattoos.
Hardcore Class Tattoos (sparkling):
| Hardcore Class Oxygenarian Tattoos (super sparkling):|
You get these by completing a Hardcore Oxygenarian ascension as one of the following classes.
| Hardcore Path Tattoos:|
You get these by following a path during a Hardcore ascension. Teetotaler Boozetafarian Oxygenarian
There are currently miscellaneous tattoos.
|You get this tattoo by completing the Pretentious Artist Quest.|
|Each time you drink a martini, there is a one in four chance that you will get this tattoo.|
|Each time you eat a delicious salad, there is a one in four chance that you will get this tattoo.|
|The Hobo Tattoo obtained in parts by encountering a certain choice adventure.|
|The St. Sneaky Pete's Day Tattoo is acquired in parts on St. Sneaky Pete's Day by encountering a certain choice adventure.|
|You get this tattoo by using a red-hot medallion.|
|You get this tattoo by using a BGE temporary tattoo.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Loathing Legion tattoo needle.|
|You get this tattoo by using an Alice's Army Foil tattoo.|
|Each time you use a corrupted data, there is a small chance that you will get this tattoo.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Mark of the Bugbear.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Mark of the Ghost.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Mark of the Skeleton.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Mark of the Vampire.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Mark of the Werewolf.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Mark of the Zombie.|
|You get this tattoo by using an Official Seal of Dreadsylvania.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Spring Break Beach tattoo coupon.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Merc Core challenge coin.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Dinsey tattoo kit.|
|You get this tattoo by using a "DEBBIE" tattoo kit.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Wal-Mart tattoo kit.|
|You get this tattoo by using a LT&T tattoo kit.|
|You get this tattoo by using an airplane tattoo.|
|You get this tattoo by using a green pill.|
|You get this tattoo by using a detective tattoo.|
|You get this tattoo by using 1000 psychokinetic energy blob.|
|You get this tattoo by using a Twitching Television Tattoo|
|You get this tattoo by using a Spacegate Initiative tattoo unit|
|You get this tattoo by reaching 14 VIP membership points in the New-You Club|
Event tattoos are obtained by participating in a one-time event. There are currently event tattoos.
|The A. W. O. L. Tattoo is acquired in parts by exchanging A. W. O. L. commendations. Commendations were earned for killing skeletons during the Valhalla Invasion.|
|This tattoo is acquired by exchanging 100 FDKOL commendations for a FDKOL tattoo. Commendations were earned for fighting brushfires during the Brushfires world event.|
There are currently custom tattoos.
|Given to ZetaReticula (#80507) for getting a real-life KoL tattoo.|
|Given to Daisy Cutter (#13041) for getting a real-life KoL tattoo.|
|Given to corneliusv (#549464) for getting a real-life KoL tattoo.|
|Given to Spo (#626298) for getting a real-life KoL tattoo.|
|Given to members of the clan Teh Club for being the models for the Boys of Loathing Calendar and Girls of Loathing Calendar at the KoL Con III costume party.|
|Given to Seventh (#363053) for being the first to summon Ak'gyxoth.|
|Given to the three winners of the KoL Con IV Assassin game.|
|Given to ShinyPlatypus (#295449) on September 30, 2015 for getting a KoL-themed dickbutt tattoo.|
- Users who complete a Hardcore Oxygenarian ascension will only collect the "super sparkling" tattoo; the "sparkling" tattoos can only be earned by completing a non-Oxygenarian Hardcore ascension.
- Users who complete a Bad Moon ascension will not receive the "sparkling" tattoo that is normally acquired by completing a non-Oxygenarian Hardcore ascension.
- Users who got "sparkling" tattoos before White Wednesday and visited their tattoo page afterward found that those tattoos had become less sparkly.
- Jick has announced that he will no longer give out custom tattoos for getting a real-life KoL tattoo. Contrary to the previous statement, however, he has since given one to Spo for his real-life Bonerdagon tattoo.
- The number of tattoos that you have collected contributes to your Collector's Score and is mentioned in the other accomplishments section of your Quest Log. Updates to the Hobo Tattoo, the St. Sneaky Pete's Day Tattoo, and the A. W. O. L. Tattoo do not count as additional tattoos: each counts for just one point, no matter whether the player has the first, last or any intermediate stage.
- When the Yendorian Finery outfit was first introduced, Jick took a while to implement its tattoo. Until he did, the generic message that would be displayed by the Pretentious Artist was:
- Jick forgot to make a tattoo for this outfit. Give it a few days.
- When the Raiments of the Final Boss outfit was first introduced, its tattoo was simply a blank image. Eventually, however, the Boss Tattoo replaced the blank tattoo on the accounts of all the players who had it.