Talk Like a Pirate Day
|Arrrrrr. Today be Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day!|
The Kingdom informally celebrates International Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19 each year. Adventurers of Loathing are encouraged to talk like a pirate in chat and in the forums, and to wear piratey garb when adventuring.
- Talk Like a Pirate Day I: September 19, 2005 (Jarlsuary 2, Year 11)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day II: September 19, 2006 (Porktober 7, Year 14)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day III: September 19, 2007 (Petember 4, Year 18)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day IV: September 19, 2008 (Bill 2, Year 22)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day V: September 19, 2011 (Boozember 1, Year 33)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day VI: September 19, 2012 (Petember 7, Year 37)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day VII: September 19, 2013 (Bill 4, Year 41)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day VIII: September 19, 2014 (April 1, Year 45)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day IX: September 19, 2015 (Jarlsuary 6, Year 49)
- Talk Like a Pirate Day X: September 19, 2016 (Boozember 4, Year 52)
On Talk Like a Pirate Day I, this item appeared in some players' inventories after rollover (see below):
On Talk Like a Pirate Day II and III, while adventuring in The Obligatory Pirate's Cove:
On Talk Like a Pirate Day IV - X, these items dropped from pirates roaming all across the Kingdom:
On Talk Like a Pirate Day IV - X, these pirates were encountered all over the Kingdom:
- Jick has stated that there was nothing random about which players received pirate hooks on Talk Like a Pirate Day I, and that it rolled out as intended, but the exact mechanism remained unknown for years. On the July 17, 2008 radio show, Jick confirmed what many had guessed: the pirate hook had been given to players who had used any of six to eight pirate-themed words in chat, including "Arr", "Matey", and "Ahoy".
- On TLaPD III, the can of Binarrrca was not implemented until approximately 10:00-12:00 server time, and, as compensation, was also made available on September 20, 2007.
- On TLaPD IV, the can of Binarrrca and the black spot adventures were not implemented until an hour after rollover.
- TLaPD V was expected on September 19, 2009, but unfortunately did not occur.
- These monsters are wandering monsters, and obey all the encounter rules on that page.
- The range between TLaPD monsters is believed to be 25-35 turns.