Talk:Oyster Egg Day
- 1 Proposed Page
- 2 Oyster Egg Messages
- 3 Egg selection
- 4 Consolidation of Oyster Egg Day Pages
- 5 Oyster Egg Day X?
- 6 Egg Finding Chances
- 7 Cap on number found wrong?
- 8 Easter Sunday, March 23, 2008: Oyster Egg Day not implemented
- 9 Drop mechanic change
- 10 Something weird, and potential randomness
- 11 Message change?
- 12 Expected Egg Total
- 13 The Golden Egg
- 14 loc dump for current Oyster
- 15 New Egg-Finding Message?
- 16 Electric Lemonade Acid Parade message in the Desert?
- 17 Old Eggs Retired
Below: a proposal for Oyster Egg Day not to be a redirect page (I'd personally find that more orderly and it'd be less confusing for people who click Oyster Egg Day from the link in the KoL Calendar). --NewZorkBat 13:42, 17 January 2006 (Central Standard Time)
Oyster Egg Messages
It doesn't seem to make much sense to endlessly repeat the same Oyster Egg Messages on each and every Oyster Egg Day page (I - VIII so far). After eight Oyster Egg holidays with no changes, I think it's safe to stop reinventing the wheel each time. Instead, let's just put them on the main Oyster Egg Day page. While there are a couples of differences, I think that they are much more likely to be Wiki errors and omissions than they are to be actual changes in the Kingdom. For the sake of posterity, here they are:
- Oyster Egg Day IV: Missing ... behind a furnace.
- Oyster Egg Day IV: Missing ... in the pocket of somebody's bathrobe.
- Oyster Egg Day IV: Missing ... annoyed-looking Lavatory Troll.
- Oyster Egg Day V: Missing ... behind a furnace.
- Oyster Egg Day V: Missing ... behind a stack of old newspapers.
- Oyster Egg Day V: Added (probable typo) ... conveniently hidden in your own pants.
- Oyster Egg Day V: Added (probable typo) ... in a stack of old newspapers.
- Oyster Egg Day VIII: Missing ... in plain sight.
--Gymnosophist 10:02, 1 November 2006 (CST)
- Got a "new" message today (which is also Crimbo): "under a fleet woodsman's toque ." Storing it here until I figure out what to do about it, as it seems highly unlikely that we've just missed this message for the past nine years. --Baltar (talk) 19:28, 25 December 2014 (UTC)
- And another: "in a barrel of pressed meat product ." --Baltar (talk) 19:37, 25 December 2014 (UTC)
- Did you, by any chance, get the first message in A Mob of Zeppelin Protesters and the second in The Valley of Rof L'm Fao? If so, then the messages for the sneaky wrapping paper content got integrated into Oyster Egg Day, which would make a lot of sense. --Yatsufusa (talk) 20:13, 25 December 2014 (UTC)
The fact that each zone drops exactly one specific kind of egg might be put on this page. It is implied, sure, but not explicit. --Drachefly 15:19, 1 November 2006 (CST)
Strange but it seems that the battlefield(hippy fatigues) does not drop eggs with a basket equipped. --Murixbob 08:20, 24 February 2008 (CST)
Consolidation of Oyster Egg Day Pages
As JRSiebz suggested more than a year ago, there's really no reason for us to have separate pages for each Oyster Egg day. This idea was again suggested in January, but no action was taken. As it seems that there exists a concensus favoring consolidation, I'm planning on consolidating all the Oyster Egg Day pages into a single page (this page). To retain a history of the drops, I'll make a table with a column for each Oyster Egg. Additionally, since I'm always wondering what egg a particular location drops, I'll also make a table with drops by location. If you have any objections, speak up soon, or forever hold your peace! --Gymnosophist 19:57, 1 November 2006 (CST)
- Well, you have my approval also.--Dehstil (t|c) 21:35, 1 November 2006 (CST)
- For something that appears to be brought up so many times, I'm suprised nothing has been done in regards to this. On the most recent Oyster Egg Day (X) there were over 100 edits of people "spading" the drop locations, when in fact, they have been the same since VIII. I'm guessing they were changed on that day because of the addition of the 8 New Zones! I suppose that means we probably will see new drop locations after NS13 arrives. Anyway, it makes more sense to me to list the current set of drop locations on this page and keep an "archive" of former drop locations on the individual oyster egg pages. We probably should replace the Oyster Eggs entry under "Special Items" with all oyster eggs and the current list of drop locations. Anybody object or know a better way of going about this? --TheDotGamer 06:43, 16 April 2007 (CDT)
Oyster Egg Day X?
Is today (April 8, 2007) really Oyster Egg Day? Baskets are available at the market, but despite it being real-life Easter, there's no OED announcement on the main page, and I haven't turned up any oyster eggs yet through adventuring with an oyster basket.--Jett 10:17, 8 April 2007 (CDT)
- Has anyone found any eggs today?--Junyr 10:43, 8 April 2007 (CDT)
jick must have just forggoten to mash go on the "It's oyster egg day" button--CSDragon 19:41, 8 April 2007 (CDT)
Egg Finding Chances
What about the chance of finding an oyster egg? Anything known about that? Might be cool to add something about that under 'finding eggs'. I realize this isn't much spading data, but I spent 166 adventures on the peak, getting 24 oyster eggs doing so (~14.5%). Ofcourse finding an egg doesn't use a turn. Anyone has more data? And might it depend on location as well? --Nappa 08:51, 28 July 2006 (CDT)
There's some kind of counter that keeps track of the number of eggs you've collected and your odds get lower as the count gets higher. One year they forgot to reset the counter, so there's some info in an old forum thread. This makes spading much harder, as you'd really need to know which adventure produced an egg from a number of people to calculate the forumla. --Crowther 09:19, 28 July 2006 (CDT)
I know it would be difficult to spade since the mechanism for egg drops isn't fully understood, but I wonder if non-combat frequency modifiers have any effect. --Darkling 22:38, 3 September 2008 (CDT)
Cap on number found wrong?
I've already found over 30 of an individual egg type on oyster day XI, and I've heard from many others gettting 20+ repeatedly, for several different types. I'm pretty sure that note about only getting 15 of a specific type in one day has to be wrong, at least nowadays... --Liokae 09:59, 12 May 2007 (CST)
I've gotten the same thing. I suggest we take the "Notes" section out of the page, because it's not true.--WelcomeToEarth 13:35, 12 May 2007 (CDT)
That or the drop rate falls by a lot. I was testing by sending an egg away in a gift package whenever I got one - I found 15 in around 30 clicks or so, and for the next 30 adventures didn't find a single one. I got some other people to test - same result. MrAndersonMan --MrAndersonMan 04:14, 13 May 2007 (CDT)
Easter Sunday, March 23, 2008: Oyster Egg Day not implemented
Well, it looks like failure to implement a holiday. Again. Today is even marked as Oyster Egg Day on my KoL 2008 wall calendar (which is beautiful!). I don't have much to add. --StorellaDeville 01:21, 23 March 2008 (CDT)
- They'll probably remember it's easter tomorrow when they find all those eggs in weird places. But who knows if any of them are actually able to do anything about it. --Flargen 03:31, 23 March 2008 (CDT)
You were right of course! --watermoon 18:21, 24 March 2008 (PDT)
Drop mechanic change
It seems like the mechanic has changed from superlikelies that don't cost adventures to an additional effect at the end of turns. The message has changed to e.g. “After all of that stuff happens, you find an Oyster egg, underneath an annoyed-looking Lavatory Troll.”--Eleron 12:06, 8 December 2008 (UTC)
Something weird, and potential randomness
It's now the day after Oyster Egg Day XVIII, and through some bug or other, I'm still able to collect eggs (though I can't buy another basket) and I've reported this. I do notice, though, that the eggs I'm collecting are in different places than yesterday. I don't know if I'm experiencing OEDay XIX, or if the potential egg sites are randomized every day. So far (for reference) I've picked up yellow striped from The Battlefield (Frat Warrior Fatigues), and mauve polka-dot from the Hatching Chamber. --Sparksol (t|c) 04:51, 9 December 2008 (UTC)
- Is it just me, or did KOL think that it was Oyster Egg Day this morning? Morgoth1145 23:34, 24 March 2009 (UTC)
Today I logged in and the message on the main page says:
It's not Oyster Egg Day! The Enchanted Flying Oyster was not delayed by forces beyond his control, so he came the night before last and hid his magical eggs all over the Kingdom! Grab a basket at the Market and retroactively gofnord egg-hunting!
The fnord was invisible, and retroactively was a smaller size. -- unsigned message was left 2009-06-19T06:16:41 by FractalP
- Actually, there's even 1 more fnord:
<b>It's not <a target=_blank href="doc.php?topic=oyster">Oyster Egg Day</a>!</b> <br>The Enchanted Flying Oyster was not delayed by forces beyond his control<!-- fnord -->, so he came the night before last and hid his magical eggs all over the Kingdom!<br>Grab a basket at <a href="store.php?whichstore=m">the Market</a> and <small>retroactively</small> go<span style='display:none'>fnord</span> egg-hunting!
Just in case someone is counting those. -- Ruby Eyes 12:06, 19 June 2009 (UTC)
Expected Egg Total
If the .95 formula is correct, you expect to get 46-47 eggs not 21. 21 would be an egg every ten adventures, but even at 21 eggs you get an egg with probability 0.34 and so can expect to get an egg in 1/0.34 = 2.94 adventures. Or am I understanding the formula wrong? --CluckyB 14:10, 19 June 2009 (UTC)
I'm thinking that you have it wrong, because the 20 egg average is pretty accurate for 200 turns. The formula is N to the power of 0.95, which is quite different from multiplication, or division, or whatever you did. --Shademaster00 20:18, 19 June 2009 (UTC)
The Golden Egg
How exactly should the Erisian ovum be linked to this page? -- Someotherdude 13:21, 19 June 2009 (EST)
loc dump for current Oyster
lavender striped oyster egg - Haunted Wine Cellar (Southwest
yellow striped eggs in the red queen garden place
yellow paisley, fight orcs in the war
blue oyster: pantry, puce/mauve/black paisly in space
mauve striped oyster egg - Haunted Wine Cellar (Northwest))
black polka-dot oyster egg - Haunted Wine Cellar (Northeast)
yellow polka-dot oyster egg - Haunted Wine Cellar (Southeast)
black polka-dot in the smut orc logging camp
New Egg-Finding Message?
At The Overgrown Lot I got "you find an Oyster egg, inside a bag of garbage". I'm not sure where to put that - probably not at gift finding page? --Notsupposedtobehere (talk) 11:17, 9 October 2015 (UTC)
- It's not on the gift finding page because the overgrown lot was not released until after the wrapping paper was removed from the game. Ideally, one would take advantage of these Oyster Egg Days to collect all the hiding places for all the new zones, but that is a lot of work and I'm not expecting it to be done (as evident by the fact that no eggs were listed last holiday and you're the only one adding ones this holiday). — Cool12309 (talk) 22:51, 9 October 2015 (UTC)
Electric Lemonade Acid Parade message in the Desert?
I got the message "After all of that stuff happens, you find an Oyster egg, Array.", in The Arid, Extra-Dry Desert, while Ultrahydrated. Is that...odd? --Listen2Reason (talk) 01:33, 19 April 2016 (UTC)
Old Eggs Retired
Since April 1st of this year, we have only gotten the new scintillating types of eggs to drop, and not the old, traditional varieties. I suppose it can be safely said that all of the old colored oyster eggs are retired drops at this point?--Volc (talk) 16:39, 4 December 2018 (UTC)