Small barrel mimic
| Data on this page needs confirmation.
|Small barrel mimic|
|Locations||The Barrel full of Barrels|
You attempt to smash the barrel, but what you thought was a barrel turns out to actually be a mimic mimicing a barrel! You're confused -- you thought these things could only mimic chests!
It does a pretty decent impression of a monster kicking the stuffing out of you. Eek! Eek!
It does a good impression of a monster laying the smack down. Oof! Argh! Argh!
The mimic turns into a reasonable facsimile of your fifth grade teacher, which gives you a stern talking-to. You claw your eyes out in horror. Argh! Ow! Argh! Argh! Argh! Ooh!
The mimic mimics a rock, and trips you, causing you to fall square on your <giblets>. Ow! Oof! Eek!
The mimic turns into a delicious bag of pretzels. You gobble them down, and choke on one. Argh! Ugh! Oof!
The mimic does a barrel roll all over your <calf>. Ow! Ow!
Just as you think you're winning the fight, a swarm of miniature barrel-makers jumps out of the barrel and stampede over you! Yup, you've been run over by at least 11 mini coopers. Oof! Ooh! Ow! Ouch! Ooh!
It does a fairly lousy impression of something that's able to hurt you.
It does an awful impression of a monster hitting you in the <lower back>.
The mimic turns into a reasonable facsimile of your fifth grade teacher, but her varicose veins form a map that lets you evade her scolding.
The mimic mimics a rock and tries to trip you, but you're not trippin'.
The mimic turns into a delicious bag of pretzels, but you say "no thanks, I'm trying to cut down."
The mimic tries to rain blows upon you, but you move away from the mimic to breathe in.
It starts to hit you again, but a miniature barrel-maker jumps out of it and starts pounding on it with a hammer. "Thanks, mini cooper," you say, and sit back to watch the beating. (FUMBLE!)
|You gain 3 <substat>.|
Occurs at The Barrel full of Barrels.
- The defeated mimic will drop a less desirable reward (see the location page for drop details).
- As of July 5, 2006, a mimic, if defeated, will drop the item that you would have gotten if you hadn't found a mimic in that barrel.
- On August 25, 2015, this mimic changed images from barrel.gif to newbarrel.gif.
- Prior to an update on September 8, 2015 that changed the name of this and three other mimics, this monster's name was "mimic" and had the newbarrel.gif image:
- The "you thought these things could only mimic chests!" is a reference to an RPG cliché where chests are sometimes monsters. Some examples where this is true are: NetHack, Dragon Warrior I-IV, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Fate, Tales of Symphonia, and Golden Sun. This in turn originates from the illustration of the Dungeons & Dragons mimic, which appears as a chest and was rarely encountered in any other form.
- Ironically, you don't see a chest mimic first unless you save the barrels for after when you see them in the Dungeons of Doom.
- The "bag of pretzels" attack may reference an incident with President George W. Bush, who choked on a pretzel at home while relaxing, causing him to lose consciousness for several minutes.
- The fifth grade teacher attack is probably a reference to the Nickelodeon show The Adventures of Pete & Pete. In one episode, a main character's history teacher has varicose veins exactly matching a highway map.
- The fumble message refers to the Mini Cooper and that coopers make barrels.
- "The mimic tries to rain blows upon you, but you move away from the mimic to breathe in" is a fairly recent reference to Tay Zonday's "Chocolate Rain," an instant hit on YouTube in which Tay (a singer) moves away from the microphone to breath in and not disrupt the flow of the song.