| There are some vague or non-exact figures and information on this page. Some spading is required.
MP Cost: 10
We all know that a shield is primarily used to, y'know, shield one from damage. With this skill, though, your shield becomes a powerful weapon as well. Your attacks will do extra damage based on your shield power. Just try and resist the urge to change into a blue leotard with little wings on the cowl.
|Effect:||Deals damage (see formula below) in addition to your regular weapon attack, always hits if you are a Turtle Tamer, and has enhanced effects with a turtle blessing.|
|With no blessing:|
You hit your opponent with your shield for X damage.
With a Blessing of the War Snapper:
You let loose a war cry and charge with your shield, hitting for X damage.
When your opponent is staggered by the War Snapper:
With a Blessing of She-Who-Was:
With a Blessing of the Storm Tortoise:
It is currently assumed that the base damage of a shield is 10% to 20% of its power. This is an assumption because shield power, unlike hat, weapon, or pants power, is not displayed in KoL. Prior to the Turtle Tamer revamp of November 2013, Shieldbutt hit for the shield's base damage. After the revamp, it appears to do double this amount with Butts of Steel, with an additional damage bonus granted by higher-level turtle blessings. Note that the polyalloy shield seems to do an unusually high amount of damage; it seems it gets a +17 damage "turtle bonus", similar to that given by turtle helmets when used with Headbutt. In addition, the spiky turtle shield also appears to deal twice the expected damage when using Shieldbutt.
- You must be wearing a shield as your off-hand item.
- For players who are currently Turtle Tamers, Shieldbutt never misses, though it can be blocked by the Naughty Sorceress, The Bonerdagon, and the effect of Cunctatitis. The regular attack used with the shieldbutt never misses, except if the effect QWOPped Up is active, in which case BOTH parts always miss.
- If the shield also bears bonus melee damage, it is only applied to the initial melee attack. It is not re-applied during the shieldbutt.
- The effect and the damage dealt depend on your current blessing:
|Blessing||Damage with Butts of Steel||Other effects|
|None||2*(10%-20% shield power)||None|
|Blessing of the War Snapper||2*(10%-20% shield power)||Chance to stagger|
|Grand Blessing of the War Snapper||2*(10%-20% shield power)+10||Chance to stagger|
|Glorious Blessing of the War Snapper||2*(10%-20% shield power)+20||Chance to stagger|
|Blessing of She-Who-Was||2*(10%-20% shield power) spooky||Restores 6-8 HP|
|Grand Blessing of She-Who-Was||2*(10%-20% shield power) spooky||Restores 10-12 HP|
|Glorious Blessing of She-Who-Was||2*(10%-20% shield power) spooky||Restores 18-20 HP|
|Blessing of the Storm Tortoise||2*(10%-20% shield power)||Initiates cumulative passive storm damage equal to the Shieldbutt's damage.|
|Grand Blessing of the Storm Tortoise||2*(10%-20% shield power)+5|
|Glorious Blessing of the Storm Tortoise||2*(10%-20% shield power)+10|
- The Storm Tortoise passive damage occurs in the initial and all subsequent rounds. This damage stacks with the storm damage caused by Spirit Snap and all subsequent uses of Shieldbutt.
- Prior to the Turtle Tamer skill revamp on November 7, 2013, this skill used the following combat messages:
- Before regular attack:
- Shield in hand (er, well, offhand,) you bull rush your opponent like Moses, overwhelming his defense.
- After regular attack message and any other -butt attacks:
- You brain <it> with your shield for X damage. Your fierce blow leaves your opponent <dazed or confused>. Now <it> knows that whenever you wield your mighty shield, all those who chose to oppose your shield shall yield.
Monster attack power reduced by Y
- Monster attack reduction (Y in the skill listing above) upon a successful shieldbutt is determined by ceiling(level / 2), capped at 10 (for a minimum reduction of 1 and a maximum reduction of 5).
- This skill used to always hit, even for non-Turtle Tamers.
- Attempting to use this skill with a ranged weapon was previously impossible and produced the following message:
- You can't use Shieldbutt with a ranged weapon. Because, y'know, that's not how ranged weapons work.
- The line about wearing "a blue leotard with little wings on the cowl" is a reference to the costume of classic Marvel Comics superhero Captain America, who used his shield as a weapon (though he usually threw it instead of bashing people with it). The Captain America cartoon theme song from the 60s is alluded to as well: "Your fierce blow leaves your opponent dazed. Now he knows that whenever you wield your mighty shield, all those who chose to oppose your shield shall yield."
- "You bull rush your opponent like Moses" refers to the biblical story of Moses, who was floated downstream by his mother in a little boat made of bulrushes coated in pitch.