Sea Monkees Quest
|| There are some vague or non-exact figures and information on this page. Some spading is required.
How exactly is the location of the stashbox determined?
The Sea Monkees Quest is the main storyline of undersea adventuring. You must search the zones of The Sea Floor to reunite the Sea Monkee family. Once they are rescued, they reside in The Sea Monkees' Castle.
The first two stages of this quest overlap with the quest An Old Guy and The Ocean.
Rescuing Little Brother
Rescuing Big Brother
- After rescuing Big Brother, Little Brother will ask you to find Grandpa. He will unlock a zone based on your class, without buying the required map from Big Brother.
- For Muscle Classes you must adventure in Anemone Mine until Grandpa teaches you a class-specific skill.
- For Mysticality Classes you must adventure in The Marinara Trench until Grandpa teaches you a class-specific skill.
- For Moxie Classes you must adventure in The Dive Bar until Grandpa teaches you a class-specific skill.
- There are 3 quest-specific noncombat adventures in each zone, and Grandpa will teach you the skill upon reaching the third one.
(Note: You don't actually have to rescue Grandma if you have the Mer-kin disguise(s) built already. The stashbox can be found whether or not you rescued Grandma.)
Rescuing Mom (optional side quest)
Traversing the Intense Currents
- Boost +Combat% modifiers and adventure in the Mer-kin Gymnasium until you encounter Ators Gonna Ate and obtain all five pieces of equipment. If you already have the Gladiator disguise and the three weapons from a previous ascension, this zone can be skipped completely.
- Train with the Mer-kin dodgeball, Mer-kin dragnet and Mer-kin switchblade by landing Critical Hits on monsters (Underwater only). Every 5 critical hits teaches a skill. Land 15 critical hits with each weapon to learn all 3 skills for each weapon. While not required, it will make the fights much easier.
- Craft the Mer-kin gladiator mask and Mer-kin gladiator tailpiece from Grandma. Equip the disguise and adventure in the Mer-kin Colosseum. (Note: Do not build the disguise until you have the components for both parts. You can't return to the Deepcity with half of a Crappy Mer-kin Disguise and half of a Mer-kin Gladiatorial Gear.)
- In the Colosseum, you must win 15 rounds of increasingly tougher combat. Each monster can use special attacks that will make fighting them conventionally much harder if you can't counter them. These special attacks can be countered by equipping one of the Mer-kin weapons and use a special skill based on the bolded word before they execute their special attack:
- After 15 victories, you will gain access to the Mer-kin Temple to fight Shub-Jigguwatt.
- Fill in the correct clues for all 8 choices in the dreadscroll to unlock the Mer-kin Temple and fight Yog-Urt.
- You may also guess, if you have not obtained all 8 phrases. Each wrong guess costs you one turn and leaves you with 3n - 1 turns of Deep-Tainted Mind where n is the number of incorrect phrases. Deep-Tainted Mind is an unremoveable effect which gives -50% Mysticality and prevents you from using the dreadscroll again while it's active. Because there are only 4 choices for each phrase, guessing one or two phrases is relatively easy. The number of phrases you can guess is limited only by your willingness to burn off adventures between guesses.
If you completed the gladiator path, you will face Shub-Jigguwatt, Elder God of Violence.
- Defeating Shub-Jigguwatt requires straight-up power. Before the fight, you will receive a debuff that dramatically increases MP costs for spells. In addition, he will remove all your MP and you will take damage based on 1/2 the MP lost. If you deal damage to him with anything other than a regular attack (including damage-dealing effects and familiar attacks) he will use a counter attack that deals increasingly heavier damage every time it's used. He has 3000 HP and 4000 Attack/Defense, and is resistant to all elemental damage.
- Crayon shavings are extremely effective against Shub-Jugguwatt, as they severely lower his attack and defense, and because they don't deal damage, they do not trigger his counter attack. Two crayon shavings will lower his attack/defense to a much more managable 1960, and four of them reduce him to a measly 960.
- Gremlin juice is also useful for when you can't quite match his level even with debuffs, but deal enough damage to at least defeat him within 30 turns.
If you completed the scholar path, you will face Yog-Urt, Elder Goddess of Hatred.
- Before the fight, you will receive a debuff that limits your base stats to 30, and you will continuously take ~90% of your max HP in damage every turn. Attacking Yog-Urt (including damage-dealing effects and familiar attacks) with this debuff active will trigger an insta-kill counter attack. The debuff wears off after 8 rounds, minus 1 round for each Mer-kin prayerbeads equipped. After that, Yog-Urt is a significantly easier fight, with only 400 Attack/Defense.
- To make surviving Yog-Urt easier, lower your max HP to the point where cheap healing items like red pixel potions can restore you to full HP. However, you can only use a specific item in combat only once, as long as the debuff is active.
- With 3 prayerbeads equipped, you only have to survive for 5 rounds, which means you need at least 5 different healing items to survive Yog-Urt. You can funksling items to use two at once, but still cannot use any individual item more than once.
- Another strategy is to wear 2 prayerbeads and a Mer-kin gutgirdle. If you have a lot of passive max HP increasing skills (like Spirit of Ravioli), the gutgirdle can dramatically lower your max HP. This means you need to go 6 rounds before the debuff is gone, but you may be able to get by with cheaper consumables.
- See the Yog-Urt page for a list of healing items.
- Also make sure that you have enough stats to be able to defeat Yog-Urt without the debuff. Your buffs will be restored to full effectiveness once the debuff wears out.
The Real Final Boss
- Each Hateful Habiliment and Violent Vestments piece of the same slot can be meatsmithed together to create a Clothing of Loathing piece. You will need to clear both the gladiator and scholar path with all 6 classes (that's 12 ascensions worth of awesome).
- Equip the 6 out of 7 Clothing of Loathing pieces and enter the Mer-kin Temple. This is a separate "third" path, and can be done without any other adventuring in the Deepcity. Notably, though, it cannot be done after you kill Shub-Jigguwatt or Yog-Urt, and you cannot kill either of those two bosses after killing the final boss.
- Once you enter the Temple, you will face the real final boss.
- Before the fight, all your buffs will be removed and you will receive an effect that basically reduces the turn limit to 12. The boss is resistant to 5/6 damage types, and which type of damage the boss is not resistant to in a given turn is determined by clues given out in the intro text. How exactly it works is given here and can be calculated on google docs. Once you figure out the boss's vulnerability, the 120 MP Hobopolis elemental spells and possibly Toynado will be enough to defeat it within the 11-round limit.