During every combat adventure you have the option to run away. If successful, you will escape the fight. The penalty, however, is that you do not receive any of the stats, loot or Meat you would have received at the end of that adventure, though you do get to keep items gained before then, such as from Pickpocket. Running away typically takes an adventure, but not always; see the chance of free runaways, below.
|You lose some Meat.|
Failing to escape will give the enemy a free chance to attack, and you will not be able to perform any other actions that round. Furthermore, familiars will not be able to attack or otherwise act.
The percentage chance of running away is
( 100 + Player Initiative Modifiers - Monster Initiative )
- Successful attempt to run away:
- Failed attempt to run away:
- Running away from a possessed silverware drawer will also result in the following once per ascension:
|You acquire an item: shiny butcherknife|
|You acquire an item: rusty metal greaves|
Several items and factors in the game aid in escaping.
(Note: The "Free Runaway" chance is the chance that, on a successful use, you do not lose an adventure. This mostly applies to equipment and familiars which have a limited number/chance of free runaways, but which will still guarantee a runaway.)
|Source||Type||Free runaway?||Turns banned||Notes|
|bargain flash powder||Combat item|
|cocktail napkin||Combat item||100%||20||
|Curse of Vacation||Skill||Until rollover||
|crystal skull||Combat item||20|
|divine champagne popper||Combat item||100%||5|
|fancy dress ball||Combat item|
|fish-oil smoke bomb||Combat item||100%||
|Frumious Bandersnatch||Familiar||100% (limited per day)||
|glob of Blank-Out||Combat item||100%||
|golden plastic oyster egg||Combat item||???||
|Greatest American Pants||Pants||100/80/50/20%||
|green smoke bomb||Combat item||100%||
|Give Your Opponent the Stinkeye||Skill||100%||10||
|Harold's bell||Combat item||20|
|Louder Than Bomb||Combat Item||100%||20|
|Mer-kin pinkslip||Combat item||100%||
|navel ring of navel gazing||Accessory||100/80/50/20%||
|Pair of Stomping Boots||Familiar||100% (limited per day)||
|peppermint parasol||Combat item||100/80/50/20%||
|short writ of habeas corpus||Combat item||100%||
|Summon Mayfly Swarm||Skill||100%|
|tattered scrap of paper||Combat item||100%||
|T.U.R.D.S. Key||Combat item||100%||
|Winifred's whistle||Combat item||100%||
|wumpus-hair bolo||Combat item||100%||
- Running away from a monster that initiates multiple combats (e.g., the Naughty Sorceress or Ed the Undying) will force you to start again at the first form.
- Running away from a monster with 0 initiative is always successful.
- Running away 100 times qualifies you for the Brave Sir Robin trophy. Running away with the navel ring or French slippers equipped does not count toward this trophy. Items which end combat do not count towards this trophy either.
- Free runaways do not decrease banish timers.
- Free runaways always fail in BIG!, with the message:
- If you are Jick you can flee with a 100% success rate. The game will display:
- Sometimes, if you have trouble defeating a monster, there might be a method of insta-kill available as an alternative to running away.
- Before January 7, 2014, running away did not forfeit Meat gained during the battle.