As rollover approaches, warning messages are issued by chat system messages 15, 10, 5, and 1 minute(s) prior to rollover. Additionally, a warning appears in the character pane showing the time until rollover. At any time during the day, the Options page will show how long until rollover, as will typing /rollover in chat. If you are still logged in when rollover arrives, you will be kicked out of the Kingdom and will need to log back in after rollover is over.
The following will be displayed if one tries to access the site during rollover:
| The system is currently down for nightly maintenance.
Why not check out one of the following things in the meantime:
/r/kol, the official KoL subreddit
KoL ColdFront, the official fan site
Please note that Radio KoL is uncensored, unscripted, and is not intended for children or the easily offended. Or easily offended children.
During rollover, a number of changes occur. These changes include direct character changes, changes to character counters and daily limits, changes in the Kingdom, and other changes. Additionally, the entire database is backed up to prevent another occurrence of White Wednesday.
Direct Character Changes
- Any character currently in combat is given a free runaway. Unlike most free runaways, this will not increment familiar usage counters and can therefore be used to salvage a 100% familiar run.
- Forty adventures are added to each character, plus any applicable bonuses.
- The character is given extra adventures based on their campground furnishings, Clan Rumpus Room furniture, and certain equipment worn at rollover.
- The character's available adventures, if over 200, are reduced to 200.
- The character gains HP and MP based on their campground housing and furnishings. (No housing or furnishings whatsoever = No gain.)
- If the character used a bottle of goofballs the previous day and the Hopped Up on Goofballs effect has worn off, they gain 10 adventures of Goofball Withdrawal.
- The effect Beaten Up is removed for each character.
- Characters wearing certain items receive an effect:
- Uncle Crimbo's hat gives 100 adventures of The Spirit of Crimbo and Crimbo Nostalgia
- ninjammies bestow 50 turns of Morninja
- ratskin pajama pants give 40 turns of Pajama Party
- A Sasq™ watch gives 30 adventures of The Rich Get Richer
- A Red LavaCo Lamp™ grants 50 adventures of Red Menace
- A Blue LavaCo Lamp™ grants 50 adventures of Blue Eyed Devil
- A Green LavaCo Lamp™ grants 50 adventures of Green Peace
- An octolus-skin cloak grants 30 adventures of Octolus Gift
- The Spacegate military insignia and Spacegate scientist's insignia both give 30 adventures of Spirit of Galactic Unity
- Characters with the effect Thanksgetting will have it removed and replaced with the same number of adventures of the effect Thanksgot
Changes to Character Counters, Flags and Daily Limits
In addition to the things listed at Daily Activities:
- The character's drunkenness counter is reset to zero.
- The character's fullness counter is reset to zero.
- The character's spleen counter is reset to zero.
- The character's enjoyment of Chocolate Phenomenon items is restored.
- If the character has any books on the mystical bookshelf, reset the counters.
- If the character is a Seal Clubber, the Infernal Seal counter is reset to zero.
- If the character has a plot in the Mushroom Fields, spores will grow into mushrooms, or new spores may grow (and their parents disappear) if the conditions are right.
- The character's mall item limits are reset.
- If Sunday night, the character's mall store advertising budget is square-rooted.
- If it has been 3 rollovers since you last blew up a wand, a new one will become available.
- If it has been 5 rollovers since you last visited it, a new anticheese becomes available at A Ruined House on Desert Beach.
Changes in the Kingdom
- The Daily Dungeon resets.
- The ducks at McMillicancuddy's Farm return.
- The moons change phase.
- The Hermit will restock ten-leaf clovers.
- The competitors at the Cake-Shaped Arena change.
- The Bounty Hunter Hunter gets a new set of bounties.
- The daily special at Chez Snootée changes.
- The daily special at the Gnomish Micromicrobrewery changes.
- There are recurring holidays that bring you special adventures, gifts, or benefits on certain days. See the Kingdom of Loathing Calendar for upcoming Loathingish fun!
- On rare occasions, the Spectral Pickle Factory will emerge from the mists.
- The day after the Factory appears, it will disappear.
- Similarly, the Traveling Trader may pay a visit to Seaside Town, and leave the following day.
- The daily limit on withdrawing zero karma items (applicable only to certain clan ranks) from the Clan Stash is reset.
- Clan Warfare limits are reset.
- Each member of a clan's army must be fed one Bowl of Oatmeal.
- The Mr. Klaw "Skill" Crane Game gets "repaired".
- The clan meat plants regrow.
- The Snack Machine counter gets reset.
- The Jukebox gets "repaired".
- The Soda Machine gets "refilled".
- The Awesome Ball Pit gets reset.
- The Deluxe Mr. Klaw "Skill" Crane Game counter gets reset.
- The Looking Glass gets reset.
- The Hot Tub counter gets reset.
- You can "be in the mood" to use the Pool Table again.
- If a tournament was held the previous day, KWE bets are paid out.
- Prizes from The Raffle House are given out.
- Jick may introduce changes to the Kingdom -- anything from new locations to tweaking inventory layout to nerfs.