Once Midden, Twice Shy
You find yourself in a foul-smelling bugbear midden. A midden, in case you're wondering, is like a warren, but with more trash in it.
The floor is littered with slimy eggs -- you pick one up and see the faint silhouette of a fetal bugbear through its veiny, translucent exterior.
Weird. Bugbears... don't lay eggs.
|Smash the eggs|
- You stomp on bugbear eggs until your shoes get too slimy for you to stand on one foot, then you smash the rest of the eggs with a rock.
- (Fewer bugbears will appear in the forest now)
|Dig through the garbage|
- You dig through the trash. Most of it is worthless, but you do find an old baseball card that you sell to a drunk guy at the Terrified Eagle.
|You acquire 5-6 Freddy Kruegerands|
If 10 players have already looted this choice:
- You dig through the trash, and verify by experimentation that it is indeed trash, and therefore worthless.
|Flee the scene|
- You don't want to be stuck in the midden with anybody, so you bid the adjacent clowns and jokers adieu as you head back the way you came.
- This adventure's name is a reference to the old saw, "Once bitten, twice shy" -- meaning that after one has been hurt by someone or something, one later tends to avoid that person or thing.
- A midden is a type of refuse dump.
- The sentence, "You don't want to be stuck in the midden..." (including the clowns and jokers part) is a reference to the song "Stuck in the Middle with You."