|Locations||Burnbarrel Blvd.: Home, Home in the Range|
"Hold on," says Ol' Scratch, "let me get warmed up..." as he writhes around in his stove.
"Is it hot in here," he continues, "or is it just me?"
"It's... you?" you reply, sighing.
He emerges from the stove, brushes himself off, and says "Are you ready to feel the burn?"
"No, but I'm certainly ready to put a stopthis neverending stream of dumb heat jokes," you say, raising your weapon.
Inspired by memories of his old job, he pokes you in the butt with a pitchfork. Oof! Ooh! Eek! Ugh! Ooh! Ow! Eek! Ooh! Argh! Ouch! (hot damage)
He strangles you with his forked tail while poking you in the eyes with his charred, ragged fingernails. Argh! Ooh! Oof! Ugh! Eek! Eek! Ow! Oof! Ow! Ow! (hot damage)
He grabs a nearby shovel and begins feeding red hot coals from the stove into your head. Steam shoots from your ears. Ugh! Ugh! Ow! Ow! Ooh! Ouch! Ow! Eek! Ouch! Ooh! (hot damage)
He overturns a nearby burning trash barrel on you, covering you with burning garbage. Argh! Ouch! Ow! Ouch! Argh! Oof! (hot damage)
He overturns one of his innumerable burning trash barrels and rolls it at you, but your experience at that construction site back in the day made you really good at jumping over barrels.
He makes as if to attack you, but has to pause for a moment to deal with an ol' itch.
He tries to stab you with his pointy tail, but you tell him a pointed tale about an Adventurer who quickly got out of the way of a pointy tail.
He tries to poke you with a pitchfork, but you say "Hey!" and shuffle out of the way.
He lunges toward you, but gets tangled up in his tail and trips.
He lifts an immense barrel of burning trash over his head and prepares to throw it at you, but it turns out it was filled with discarded fire extinguishers. He coughs and sputters, and has to crawl back into the stove for a while to heat back up. (FUMBLE!)
Ol' Scratch flips out, and you feel the temperature rise 30 degrees. Man, you could separate Kevin Bacon five times with all of this extra heat!
"How about we turn up the heat!?" shouts Ol' Scratch, as he pours gasoline on you and lights it. (hot damage)
|You acquire an item: Elron's Explosive Etude (???% chance)*|
|You acquire some Ol' Scratch's salad forks|
|An item drops: Ol' Scratch's ash can|
|An item drops: Ol' Scratch's ol' britches|
|An item drops: Ol' Scratch's stovepipe hat|
|An item drops: Ol' Scratch's infernal pitchfork (20% chance)*|
|An item drops: Ol' Scratch's manacles (20% chance)*|
|An item drops: Ol' Scratch's stove door (20% chance)*|
|You acquire a clan trophy:||Bit of Devil Horn|
Occurs at Burnbarrel Blvd.
- Every combat round Ol' Scratch's fiery nature burns you with the message:
|You lose 40-60 hit points. (hot damage)|
- If you have more than five effects, Ol' Scratch also has a special attack which does some hot damage and randomly strips 10 effects off of you. He will use this very frequently, but not every round. This is an extra attack and does not preempt his normal attack. Effects that do not show up on the "Effects" list on the side pane, such as the Moveable feast's bonus and the mayfly swarm, do not appear to count as effects for this purpose.
- If Ol' Scratch is stunned, he will not debuff you.
- Effects do not need to be positive; the yellow ray after-effect counts towards 5 effects, yet Ol' Scratch will not remove it.
- Hobopolis bosses are immune to effects which would cause them to be unable to act over multiple rounds, such as those listed in the Stunning article. However, single-round stuns are effective.
- Ol' Scratch has a soft damage cap, after which a special damage reduction is applied. If an attack would do no more than 500 damage, then no damage reduction is applied. Otherwise, if x is the base damage done, then the actual damage Ol' Scratch takes is 500+floor((x-500)0.7). This formula is applied to any type of damage and to any source of damage.
- The number of Ol' Scratch's salad forks dropped increases with item drop bonuses at 1 for 100%. That is, you will receive floor(item/100) forks.
- Ol' Scratch will always drop exactly 1 piece of his outfit.
- The other 3 drops have a 20% chance of dropping, unaffected by +item.
- This monster cannot be copied.
- The name of this boss is derived from Old Scratch, a folk name for the Devil.
- The miss message about jumping over the barrel refers to the classic Donkey Kong arcade games, where as Mario you would need to jump over the barrels, especially in the first level.
- Ol' Scratch's flip-out refers to the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game.